Hotels in Poland

Nov 16th, 1999, 09:35 AM
Patrick

Hotels in Poland

Will be traveling through Poland by train next summer, with a 3 night stop in Krakow, and 2 night stops in Warsaw and Gdansk. Have booked the Hansa Hotel in Gdansk, but any recommendations for the other two cities? Everytime I find one that sounds good, some guide book will run it down. The only consistently good reviews seem to be for the Marriott in Warsaw, which just seems so American, or the extremely expensive hotel (I forget its name). We like smallish hotels with character, generally in the under $200 range, in city centers.

Nov 29th, 1999, 05:05 PM
Peter

check those sites for some hotel listings with prices:
www.HotelsinPoland.com
www.polhotels.com
as for gdansk you choice is good - Hansa is located right in the old city of Gdansk (new nice hotel) walking distance to all attractions. Other choices which are also great but in Sopot (city next to Gdansk but easly reachable with a quick ride on local bus or train) Villa Hestia in Sopot is a great choice (a little classy palace with resonable rates and great service or Grand Hotel - huge Palace on Baltic sea (also good rates and great service). Warsaw - Victoria Hotel or Bristol would be my choice (in that order) Victoria may not be breath taking from outside but inside it is really great with great service - great restaurants nice size very nice rooms and next to old town. Marriott is in the center along with Sherton and Forum (those 3 hotels kind of surround the Central Train Station), but my pick would be Forum and and not Marriott (Merriot second and then Sherton - were rooms are small). Krakow - Forum has great view of Wawel (which is in lights at night), but "francuski" or "pod roza" maybe a better choice. Additional side note. If you going to be using taxies - call for one or walk away a block to pick one up - Taxies parked next to hotel will charge you 3x the fare. Airports - use hotel busses or walk up to departures to grab a cab when it is dropping off passagers at the airport. Cabbies that offer rides as well as ones parked next to Airports are also rip offs.

Nov 29th, 1999, 05:30 PM
Patrick

Thanks for the info. Today I booked the Bristol in Warsaw as I had a certificate from American Airlines which gave me one free night with one paid night. Comes out to $ 160 per night. Still working on Krakow -- the Francuski???

Nov 29th, 1999, 07:12 PM
lola

The Bristol in Warsaw is one of the most wonderful hotels anywhere--you will love it.
There are several small hotels with character near the old city in Kracow--can't remember their names but any good travel agent can look them up. One has a dining room in the wine vault and another has a stained glass ceiling in the dining room. They are like inns. The big ones are rather drab.

Nov 30th, 1999, 09:58 AM
Ben Haines

I agree exactly with Lola, and the one I use and like is the Hotel Pollera, ul Szpitnalna 30, halfway between the railway station and the great square. Phone 22 10 44 and 22 13 89. Three years ago costs with bath were singles at 35 dollars, doubles at 50 dollars, and triples at 60 dollars and a few rooms at a little lower cost with showers. Like Lola, I thought the big hotels of Krakow lacked character.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London

Dec 1st, 1999, 08:58 AM
Peter

check those for Krakow (Cracow):
http://www.HotelsPoland.com/cracow/podroza/
http://www.HotelsPoland.com/cracow/francuski/
http://www.HotelsPoland.com/cracow/grand/
When in Krakow (Cracow) don't miss Zakopane - south of Krakow in Tatry Mtns. as for hotels in Zakopane in town Gazda Hotel or bit outside Kasprowy (in Kasprowy ask for "Goralski" Apt.) little below $200/night but their best all furnishing made from wood by local arts and view of Giewont Peak is just great.
Or you can stay in many of B&B in Zakopane - were food is so fresh and good You may have to get that larger size of pants out of the closet

Dec 2nd, 1999, 09:18 AM
Peter

Another good site for info on Krakow and area - they also have short reviews on hotels.
http://www.inyourpocket.com/Poland/Krakow_index.htm

Dec 2nd, 1999, 02:08 PM
alan

Hi! We visited Krakow in 1997. Stayed for several days at the Hotel Europejski.We found it in Fodors Eastern Europe and decided to stay there. Made our reservation by mail and all was well It is a nice 19th cent. hotel Had no elevator. Very close to main train station and a locked parking garage. Which we used as we drove to Krakow. Nice sized room and a decent breakfast buffet. Very inexpensive at the time. We ewere very surprised and pleased with our stay there. alan

Search this Thread