Hotels in paris

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in paris

anyone know of any conveniently located hotels in paris that are also on the inexpensive side? i am also planning to go to france by myself in a month or two and wondering if anyone has any safety tips or advice! thanks
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:27 AM

What is your idea of inexpensive? And what amenities are you willing to give up--or not willing to. More info.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:29 AM

Try Hotel Residence Monge or La Familia...both in the Latin Quarter.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:34 AM

La Familia in the Latin Quarter would be my suggestion. I have stayed here with my mom and the location is wonderful. The staff is very nice and speaks English if you need. Also good priced, good bathrooms and some rooms with a balcony.

As far as safety just make sure you know where you are heading when you go out and about. Keep only the basics with you in a backpack or bag. Basic stuff you would do in any city. I have been to Paris 4 times and never had a problem!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:35 AM

Hi
Yes, it helps to know how much you want to spend per night, if you can do without an elevator or private bathroom, etc

If you do a search here (use the little box above) on Paris hotel you will find many budget-minded suggestions.

Concentrate on the central and safe
arrondissements (districts) such as the 5th, 6th, and 7th.

I have a long file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Best Western and Comfort Inns also have properties in Paris. The exchange rate will influence your choice I'm sure - we stayed at Claude Bernard and had a fine time - close to Metro and RER stops, less than 2 blocks to the river and Notre Dame one direction, the Pantheon the other and the Sorbonne just down the way as well. Its near Familia as well. You'll just need to decide the area, if you want a/c (time of year??), elevator, private bath, etc.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

ideally i would like to spend under 100 euros a night, somewhere around 75-90. also would like a private bath and no curfew. something that is convenient to the city, safe neighborhood. most important is a clean room, tv would be nice, phone isn't too important.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:28 PM

Check out the Rick Steves places near the rue Cler (Hotel Champs du Mars and others). They might fit your criteria.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:36 PM

The Hotel Muguet might be for you. There are numerous posts on this site. Do a search and take a look!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:42 PM

bonjourshelley, I smiled when I read your comment that a TV would be nice.

We stayed at the Paris Hilton, a fairly expensive property, and the TV choices were really crummy. (We have DishTV here in the states so we are spoiled with a smorgasboard of options)
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:11 PM

try hotel st dominique -www.hotelstdominique.com -very parisien with cable tv, phone ,private bathroom. In a great area - 7th arrondissement- right near eiffel tower. Clean, helpful staff & we payed Euros 105 per night for 2 adults and 1 child last week. Other than that ibis hotels are usually ok & breakfast is included there.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 05:48 AM

Try the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the Marais (4th) area is safe and convenient with being overly touristy. 3, rue de Jarente, phone: 01 48 87 62 11, Fax: 01 48 87 37 31. Close to the St. Paul Metro station, nice cafes nearby and we found there were some very reasonable dining options in the area. This is not a fancy property but would fit your budget and it is clean and friendly.

As far as safety, as in any large city be aware of your surroundings, keep the majority of your cash (and passport) in a concealed money belt/pouch, and use common sense. I do not recommend backpack type bags; they are bulky, you cannot see what is going on behind you and it is easy for someone to open your pack and help themselves. Also, are you camping or sightseeing? Ditch the backpack. Take a bag/purse that you can put over your shoulder and keep close to your body. A small wallet for spending money, a camera, map and a small guidebook will probably be all you need while walking around. The less to keep track of and fuss over the better! Have a wonderful time!
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 09:20 AM

Forget the Champs du Mars hotel because I doubt they'll have rooms for January. They're booked already for February already; I checked a couple of weeks ago. Hotel Muguet has inexpensive rates and probably still has rooms available.
In addition to Familia and Claude Bernard in the 5th district, check Hotel St. Christophe which I understand is inexpensive but has good amenities. It's in the 5th district too.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 07:36 AM

My vote goes to Hotel Residence Monge in the Latin Quarter. It is spotless, well located in the Latin Quarter and very reasonably priced. I spent 2 weeks there in mid-November and will return. The only drawback, I found, is that the shower stall is very small (all rooms have showers, not bath tubs). The management speaks excellent English and is very helpful. The hotel is within a 3 or 4 minute walk to two Metro stations.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 12:09 PM

I 2nd the Jeanne d'arc. Stayed there last Spring & was very happy with the room, the cleanliness of the room/hotel, the friendliness of the staff. Stefan will be happy to give you tips (he seems a little standoffish at first but that's due to his dry, droll sense of humor).

The room I stayed in was 53 euros per night at the time. The prices have risen slightly. I believe the smallest single is 55 euros now.

www.hoteljeannedarc.com

You'll love the square, Place St-Catherine, at least I hope you will. I loved walking thru it in the mornings when it was quiet, crisp, cool underneath the few trees, past the benches. Equally loved it when I passed thru at night with people dining outside of the restaurants and people milling about or sitting on one of the benches listening to my CD walkman people-watching.

The metro St Paul is only about 5 minutes walk away. There are 2 places to grab a quick croissant or pain au chocolat & grand cafe creme before heading west to the Metro and starting your day. You just pass thru the square, go a short block's distance down rue Caron & you are confronted with Boulangerie Paul & Miss Manon across the rue St-Antoine (which eventually becomes the rue de Rivoli as you walk west).

Also, in the other direction (going north on rue de Sevigne, about a block away, is the Musee Carnavalet. Really, really close. A little further away is the Musee Picasso & Centre Pompidou.

If you'd like to dine at an historic restaurant you might want to try Bofinger, the oldest brasserie in Paris, heading east on the rue St-Antoine, very close to the Place de la Bastille.

Can you tell I love this area (the Marais)?

The ONLY problem with this hotel is that you usually have to book 3-4 months ahead. This is a very popular place & mentioned in ALL the guidebooks. I plan to take my kids there this December to stay in the triple (a mere 108 euros). A quad is 125 euros.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 02:48 PM

I also recommend the Hôtel Residence Monge. I have stayed there twice, it is clean, well located, near two metros and well within your price range. Here is there web site:

http://www.hotelmonge.com/

I would recommend that you call Julie directly to check availablity and make reservations. You will have to fax to conferm with a credit card number. Phone: 01 43 26 87 90