Search

Hotels in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Tommy Boy (and his Girl)

Hotels in Paris

Tommy Boy and Tommy Girl have decided to go to Paris. They were told that before deciding on the hotel, they have to first choose the area. What areas are the people talking about here ? And would someone recommend good hotels from personal experience- between $ 80 and $ 200 ? Tommys salute you.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:37 PM
andi

The Marais is a great area to stay in. Very hip, conveniently located. I stayed two years ago (and a friend stayed a month ago) at a place called the Hotel de la Place des Vosges. Very reasonable, charming, clean, nice breakfast included, probably between $60-$80 a night, depending on the room. Only drawback, rooms are really, really tiny, at least for one person, don't know about their doubles. But if you can live with that, I recommend it.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:39 PM
YS

I've enjoyed the Latin Quarter (in the 5th). La Tour Notre Dame is the cheaper hotel in the area (under $100)and close to the metro stop.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Paul

I have stayed in Paris on many occasions and I have always stayed in the Montparnasse area of the city (Which is about 2KM from the Centre with good metro connections) I have stayed a couple of times at the Libertel at the Rue de Sevres and have found this to be a nice hotel with reasonable prices and rooms.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Capo

If you look at the map at... <BR> <BR>http://www.paris-france.org/asp/carto_script.asp? <BR> <BR>...you'll see that the "core" of Paris -- centered around the Ile-de-la-Cité (the island on which Notre Dame is located) -- is comprised of arrondisements 1 through 6 and the eastern part of 7. I happen to prefer the left bank of the Seine -- specificially arondisements 5 or 6 -- but any of these lower-numbered ones would be fairly centrally-located.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 05:09 PM
kalena

I'm another advocate for the Montparnasse area. Multi-cultural, hip, with lots of cheap places to eat, and some excellent ones: L'Os a La Bouche. We stayed at the Hotel Renoir, and were pleased. It's air conditioned, and the staff is friendly. The only down side was the smell of smoke in our room when we first arrived. After running the a.c., most of it eventually dissipated.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Colleen

Recently returned from Paris where we stayed at the Hotel Fleurie, on a quiet street in the 6th and very centrally located on the Left Bank. Staff very helpful, rooms are charming for $135/night.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:54 PM
Ila

I think every 'area' (arrondisment) has <BR>its own charm and advantages, but if it's your first trip, I'd recommend the lower #'s (1-8) or Montparnasse (14). <BR>The Marais is magical; the Left Bank <BR>special, but often the least bang for the buck. The wonderful Metro (subway) will transport you to any area in a flash, so pick a hotel very close to a Metro station. My last trip involved lots of shopping and museums, so I stayed in the 8th near la Madeleine <BR>(Hotel du Ministere: super quiet, large <BR>rooms/baths, 3 star, $120 or so/nite; <BR>(lower rates due to # of nites stayed). <BR>Old World, and nothin' fancy! <BR> <BR>Have a blast! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Debbie

Based on your e-mail name of Tommy Boy I think you are latin quarter people. The 5th is a young fun area to be in. It doesn't sound like you have picked up a Paris guide book yet (fodors or Frommers are my favorites) so that is key to getting the most from your trip. have fun.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:09 AM
tring to help

How about St. Germain De Pres area ?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Lily

Tommy, <BR>We just returned from a wonderful trip to Europe including 3 nights in Paris. We stayed in the Latin Quarter (ST. Michel area) the hotel was clean and very small with breakfast included for $60US a day. Within walking distance of Notre Dame, Sainte Chapel, boat tours of all the sights, and subway station to all else. If you would like more info e-mail me.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Fred

It's not critical at all where you stay as long as you're in the central area. The various areas are right next to each other, across the street from each other. There's no great demarcation line. Everyone has their own favorite area they will argue for. You'll be out and about the whole city anyway, and the city is so easy to get around you can go to most areas quickly and easily for sites, restaurants, etc. The 1st, 4th, parts of the 5th, the 6th, parts of the 7th, 8th - they would all be fine for a first timer. For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]