Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Lyon France..any reason to stay one night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In October we are arriving in Zurich, spending a few days driving, with a stretch between Montreau Switz. and Provence. Lyon looks like a good stopping point for one night before we spend 8 nights in Luberon, then St.Remy area. Any suggestions on where to stay, is it worth one night or is there a better, more easily accessible town near by? Thank you!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:53 PM

I like Lyon, but would not stop just for one night. I would then choose a more manageable town, perhaps Chambéry, going there via Annecy.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:33 PM

Lyon is lovely. Lots to see and do, beautiful architecture and fabulous restaurants. One night there is not really enough to get the most out of the city, but it's certainly better than none

The most often recommended hotel on this board is La Résidence which is an excellent value, well located 3 star.
(www.hotel-la-residence.com)

More upscale places include la Cour des Loges (www.courdesloges.com), la Tour Rose and La Villa Florentine (www.villaflorentine.com/)
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:40 AM

I second hanl's recommendations, with the exception of the Tour Rose, which recently changed hands and I feel is now very overpriced for the level of service.

The Cour des Loges is a great hotel and as you're only staying one night, perfectly positioned in the lovely (UNESCO world heritage site) old town surrounded by restaurants and bars.

What could be better for one night than strolling cobble-stoned streets and stopping for the odd kir or two at a terrace cafe?
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:58 AM

Lyon is a wonderful destination, of course one night is not enough, but I agree , one is better than none.
Lyon is famous for its cuisine,it is a beautiful city at the junction of the rivers Rhone and Saone.There are a thousand reasons to stay one night, and many, many more nights too.
Vieux Lyon is one of them, covering about a square mile, Old Lyon contains an amazing collection of medieval and Renaissance buildings.
Of course there are other fascinating areas.
The Tourist Office offers a lot of information as well as many walking tours.
You can find ample information in all guide books
covering France.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:00 AM

Jay G, I didn't know that the Tour Rose had changed hands. Thanks for the info. I've never stayed there, but the place has fond memories for me as that's where my (then) boyfriend (now husband) proposed!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:14 AM

I've never been to Lyon, but just outside of the city in a tiny (and I mean tiny) hamlet called Chonas l'Amballan is a lovely hotel and great restaurant: Domaine de Clairefontaine. Way cheaper than it should be for the quality of the experience (both rooms and food), warmth of hosts, beauty of setting, etc. I keep flogging this place in various Lyon-related posts, so forgive me if you have already read about it...
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:24 AM

Hi hanl, no problem.

Unfortunately the Tour Rose has definitely lost some of its 'olde worlde' charm, and the service has definitely slipped, but their terrace is still definitely difficult to beat.

I met my Lyonnaise wife whilst studying in Lyon (many moons ago) in a bar just around the corner from the Tour Rose, so I always drift off into misty-eyed reverie whenever we stroll through Vieux Lyon.

Can't wait to go back. Nine days and counting...
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:25 AM

We stayed one night specifically to eat. We stayed at the Phenix where we had a very nice room, reasonably priced, facing the river - and could park right outside.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Jay G, I used to live in Lyon so get pretty nostalgic thinking about it too. (Used to frequent the St James, Johnny Walshes and the Smoking Dog rather a lot.)
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:39 AM

hanl, me too.

If you were there throughout 1999/2000 our paths would have undoubtedly crossed.

I spent way more time than was healthy propping up the bar in those (and other) establishments.

Thankfully ERASMUS took care of the tab...
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:09 AM

Well, I lived there from February - September 1999 (and again from 2002-2004...) so who there's a good chance we were in the same bar at the same time!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:10 AM

oops, typo. Ignore the last "who".

And apologies to PeggyE for hijacking this thread!!!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:25 AM

Yup, sorry PeggyE, can't help but wander off on a trip down memory lane...

hanl you've got me remembering lock-ins at Johnny Walsh's and the incredible club sandwiches at Down Under (opposite the opera house) which always tasted best at around 2am whilst waiting for 'les afters' to open.

Good times.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:36 AM

Not to mention the late night kebabs from rue St Catherine.

(sorry PeggyE, I'll stop now!)
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

I love all the info! No problem enjoying travel memories..that is what it is all about! Love the suggestions & I will check them out. Just to tell you all, we are landing in Zurich, 2 nights there, then driving, one night Murten & Montreux, then Lyon, 4 nights at Crillon le Brave at Mt. Ventoux, 4 nights renting an apt at Villa Nova in St. Remy, then train to Paris Hotel Brighton for 6 nights. I love the idea of staying in towns, cobblestone streets, walking to dinner...ahh, can't wait. Any suggestions are welcome!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Hi Peggy, you will not regret staying in Lyon, there are many restaurants of all kinds, I mean more luxurious and less, there is also a cooking school where you can eat very well, reservations are needed
Institut Vatel, 8 Rue Duhamel
33(0)4 78 38 21 92 good luck.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Sorry I gave you the fax no. the phone is
33 (0) 4 78 38 21 92
www.fra.cityfox.fr you can find it in there. It is like a restaurant with great food by prices are less, dinner is like 25 to 32 euros and lunch like 20.50 euros.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Peggy, Lyon is wonderful with absolutely fabulous food. Even for one night, I highly recommend a stay there. I stayed at LeResidence and really enjoyed it - very good location. I would not hesitate to stay there again. I had many delicious meals in Lyon, but the one I will never forget was at Les Adrets in Vieux Lyon. Superb service and heavenly food.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm surprised no one mentions that Lyon is famous for its bouchons?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -