Reload this Page >

Hotels in Lourdes

Search

Hotels in Lourdes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:43 PM
Louise

Hotels in Lourdes

Travel advice for a pilgrimage to Lourdes, France, for a handicapped traveler? Suggestions on hotels in Lourdes, transport from Paris to Lourdes? Thank you.

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 08:07 PM
topper

a second chance at some answers <BR>

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:29 AM
Dan

Hi, Louise. My parents & I have been going on a yearly pilgrimage to Lourdes since 1997. I would recommend the hotel where we always stay at - Hotel Saint Sauveur. It's a 3-star hotel; clean with just the basic amenities. Its advantage is its location; very near the Grotto. <BR>Their web-site is www.hotelsaintsauveur.com <BR> <BR>We usually take the Air France flight from Paris to Lourdes-Tarbes. The flight takes less than an hour. We tried the train before but it was a bit inconvenient for us. I suggest you fly instead. <BR> <BR>If you do, outside the airport, there is a bus waiting. For a fee, this bus will take you to your hotel. Very convenient; all you have to do is give the name of your hotel to the lady bus driver and she'll bring you right to the hotel's doorsteps. <BR> <BR>Lastly, don't go end of October/November. The processions might be over by then. Bon voyage!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:42 PM
Louise

Dan!! Thanks so much for your feedback, and suggestions. I wanted to ask you more about traveling by plane versus train from Paris to Lourdes. Is the 6 hour train ride picturesque, or are the trains uncomfortable? We are traveling with my father, who is in a wheelchair. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, for you input!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Julie

I took the train twice to Lourdes from Paris. Make sure you take the TGV and not the regular train. The TGV is cleaner, actually very clean. The other train is more like a commutor train and takes 2 to 3 hours longer. <BR> <BR>The scenary is nice. I enjoyed it. <BR> <BR>Also, we took the overnight train once. I would not recommend that for your father. The couchette was very small and he would probably have a difficult time getting in and out of the room and bed. <BR> <BR>I think he may have a hard time boarding the train and getting through the aisle. Make sure some one goes on first and finds your seat so that he can enter the train at the closest area to his seat. <BR> <BR>Last comment, choose no smoking. It is less crowded. If someone in your party smokes, they can just take a walk to the smoking section for a cigarette break. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Dan

Hi, Louise. Just like Julie, we've tried taking the TGV to Lourdes from Paris. However, I do not remember anything about that particular train ride because we were so harrassed as trains were on strike and we had to stay an extra day in Paris to wait for a train that will take us to Lourdes. We lost our reservation because of the strike. Luckily, the seats we got were not reserved by anybody else. Others were not as lucky. The train was full and people already sat on the aisles. That was one unforgettable experience. Talk about inconvenience! <BR> <BR>On our way back to Paris, we also took the night train. We got the wagons-lits but they were still uncomfortable. <BR> <BR>Since then, we never took the train again to and from Lourdes. We always fly with Air France. <BR> <BR>I suggest you fly instead. It will be more convenient for your father.