Reload this Page >

Hotels in Istanbul

Search

Hotels in Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 1997, 01:34 PM
Kay Heiden

Hotels in Istanbul

My husband and I will be visiting a few days in Istanbul before a Windstar cruise early June, 98. We think we would like to stay south of the Golden Horn. Any suggestions? Or should we only consider staying north of the Golden Horn?

Old Oct 23rd, 1997, 03:39 PM
Rod

Recommend north. Have stayed at the Sheraton and Conrad International Hilton. Sheraton is very nice and closer to tourist attractions but Hilton is more elegant - it has a fabulous terrace bar looking out over the city and strait. In either hotel, try to get a room overlooking the strait. Recommend a standard city tour to start and go on your own from there. The bazaar is fabulous!

Old Oct 23rd, 1997, 11:16 PM
joelle

The best hotels in Istambul are supposed to be the Ciragan Palace overlooking the Bosphorus strait. Rooms are located in a modern building while the hotel lobby is in an 19th century palace, so are the suites, but prices are expensive. Another place is the new Four Seasons hotel but I am not sure this hotel has a view. Another good hotel is the Marmara on Taksim Square. It is a twenty-storey building with wonderful views all over the town.

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 09:42 AM
Sue

In April I stayed at the Richmond Hotel for 2 days while on a tour, nice but not within walking distance to a lot. Think it's around $l00 per night. After our 8 day tour we stayed at the Ayasofia Pansiyon, south of the Golden Horn. Look in the Fodor's Travel Guide. Loved it and is walking distance the Egyptian Bazaar, Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and the Ferry. Was also around $l00 per night. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Nov 4th, 1997, 04:36 PM
Gretchen

If you have only a short time in Istanbul stay in Sultanahmet. We like the Yesil Ev. The Four Seasons is in Sultanahmet, and though it does not have a view, if you can afford it--it is elegant. For such a short time it is important to SEE Istanbul rather than SEE an elegant hotel outside of the area of the Blue Mosque, St. Sophia, and other fantastic places.

Old Nov 5th, 1997, 05:14 PM
Louis Dameson

A little over two weeks ago we were at the Four Seasons in Istanbul. Whithout question the location is optimum, the some 60 rooms in an old prison are truly outstanding both from the standpoint of decor and comfort. The service is all you can want. Room prices for this class of hotel are a bargain compared to NYC, London or Paris (more than 50%25 less). If the $200 plus price is out of reach there are still good hotels in the old town--it is a waste of time to stay across the bridge. A hotel similar to the Four Seasons would run $600/night in Paris. Fodors has some good suggestions for alternates and you can find excellent rooms in the $100 range or less if you don't want true luxury. Get a map and pick location. By all means avoid the typical large tourist hotel.

Old Nov 14th, 1997, 01:01 PM
Gaar Decker

I've been to Turkey 5 times. My advise is to not stay in any big modern hotel. Why isolate yourself from the Turkish culture? Try any of the smaller Turkish hotels in Sultanahmet. Empress Zoe is nice. Rooms are a little small but they are clean and the location is excellent. One thing to keep in mind is to always ask to see the room before you decide to stay anyplace. Our idea of a nice room and the Turk's idea of a nice room aren't always the same. I just got back last week. Spent 6 days in Istanbul and 4 days in Antalya. If you need any suggestions, write and I will help all I can. Have a blast!

Old Nov 28th, 1997, 07:24 AM
Michael Warwick

Can you tell me what the weather will be like in Cappodocia in Dec?
Thanks

Old Dec 6th, 1997, 05:38 AM
Rick

My wife and I will be travelling in Istanbul in January. We have reservations at Hotel Empress Zoe, however it is $65 a night. Does anyone have suggestins or experience with some of the cheaper places? Please write with info. on hotels or any other tips-this is our first time there.

Old Dec 6th, 1997, 06:38 AM
Gino

I agree with Gaar, Staying in the Sultanahmet is the best option. The Yesil Ev mentioned earlier charges $150/nite,(tele 517-6785; fax 517-6780) while Ayasofya Pansiyonlari charges $100/nite, $120/nite for a view.(tele 513-3660; fax 513-3669)Prices include tax and breakfast.Locationwise, they are undoubtably the best. Another option in this general area is the President Hotel(Best Western) for $112/nite taxes and breakfast included and is a **** hotel.

Old Dec 6th, 1997, 03:42 PM
Tony Johansson

We stayed at a great pensyionin Sultmet, Istanbul. Where just about everything you'll want to see is.
"The Side Pensyions" US$35 with bath US$25 with out. Rooms are modern and clean. Staff very helpful and if you stay more than 3 nights they are happy to strike a deal (not high season)On the rooftop is great terrace area with seating with fantastic views of the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, Sea of Marmara and the old city, (A stones throw) Plus a a simple turkish breakfast is included. It is also opposite the four seasons hotel. We traveled in Oct/NOv by car around Turkey and found lots of clean, well located super cheap penysions US$9- $25 a night. Its a great place!

Old Dec 8th, 1997, 03:35 PM
Gino

Since there are two inquiries regarding where to stay in Istanbul, I thought it appropriate to bring this listing to the top for comparisons with the other.