Reload this Page >

Hotels in Europe with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 11:32 AM
Steph

We are a family of 4 two children, ages 10 adn 13, traveling in June. In trying to make hotel reservations I am being told that we will need to book 2 rooms. Is this what most people do? Apparently rooms with 2 double beds are not available.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 11:40 AM
Homewood

No, of course everyone doesn't book two rooms! There are plenty of large, American-style suites in the heart of the old city! But no one is going to tell you about them, they're top secret. Just line the tub with towels and your kids can sleep there. That's what MOST traveling families do.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:16 PM
trying

I think what you have heard is not unusual, particularly in more established (i.e. older) hotels, whose rooms may be smaller than what we are used to. However, there are other options available in any major city. Maybe if you said where you will be others could give you some suggestions.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:28 PM
Steph

We are specifically looking for accommodations in Madrid and Seville.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:29 PM
Therese

Accor is a chain that includes hotels at several price points, including Sofitel (top of their line), Mercure, Novotel, and Ibis. You can visit their site at:<BR><BR>http://www.accor.com/sa/default.asp<BR><BR>Many of their properties are new, with some rooms possibly accomodating four. Some of the lower-priced properties would be reasonable even if you book two rooms. They have hotels all over Europe, and I frequently use them when travelling for business.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:40 PM
Bill

My kids are 14/11 and I'm planning 3 week trip in June as well. I've spent a ton of time hunting for rooms and am quite excited with what we've got (not seville or Madrid area -<BR><BR>Paris (3)- highly recommended location in latin quarter that sleeps 4 comfortably (2 doubles)<BR><BR>Beaune, France (1) - 16th century castle converted to B&B - has suite with 2 rooms (1 w/ double other w/ 2 singles)<BR><BR>Vevey, Switzerland (2) - city hotel w/ quad room for 4 (1 queen, 1 double)<BR><BR>Lauterbrunnen, Sw (3) - did have to go with 2 rooms here but they're next to each other and very reasonable (1 double - other 2 singles - $100/night total)<BR><BR>3 nights w/ friend in Zurich<BR><BR>Garmisch, Germany (2) - 1 large double room w/ 2 extra beds. We'll see how this goes but has pool so kids will like that.<BR><BR>Munich (3) - Quad room w/ 4 singles<BR><BR>(leaving last 3 nights open to play it by ear)<BR><BR>All but Paris include breakfast and are all in the $100-125/night range. They're out there - just have to do lots of hunting on these boards, travel books and websites. <BR><BR>I sent out lots of e-mail inquiries to find what we were looking for.<BR><BR>Good luck!!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:03 PM
Steph

Thanks for the suggestions and the confirmation I wasn't crazy.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:30 PM
Marj

Some hotels have what they call quad or family rooms for 4. Some are 2 room suites, some are 1 big room, usually with a queen and 2 twin beds. Many of the hotel web sites and booking sites don't mention accommodations for 4 so you have to ask. We found rooms for 4 in Paris, Amsterdam, Venice, Rome, FLorence and Orvieto. I emailed several hotels and asked when I was planning these vacations. Also my kids don't like to share a bed so having 2 twins is a plus for us.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 05:21 PM
mark

Good luck. I gave up and got two rooms in both Paris and Barcelona.