Hotels in Dresden

Jan 20th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Hotels in Dresden

Greetings,

I was hoping for some help (Ingo?) choosing between the Hotel Elbflorenz and the Schlosshotel Pillnitz in Dresden. The Pillnitz looks appealing but I was wondering if the location of the Elbflorenz made it a better choice.

Also, I noticed that the Dixieland festival will be going on during the time I will be there and was wondering if there was a website (in English) that provided some information about the events.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM
hsv

topping for Ingo or other knowledgable posters
Jan 20th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Thanks hsv for topping

Bird,

only these two hotels to choose from?

Both are very good. The Schlosshotel Pillnitz has definitely more charm, but is quite far from the city centre. I think it takes you about 45 minutes to get to the city centre (one change).

The Elbflorenz is mostly frequented by business travellers. It is a part of the World Trade Centre, a modern block built in the 1990s. Public transportation to everywhere right in front of the hotel.

It depends on what you are planning to do during your stay. Pillnitz castle and the neighbouring villages are very beautiful and worth a visit. So if this is on your agenda it should not bother you to have a longer way into town the other one or two days (how long will you stay?).

You could even take the steamboat to downtown from Pillnitz - a must!

As for the Dixieland Festival - their website www.dixieland.de has an English version (click on the English flag upper right). Not to miss is the Dixieland Shuffle (steamboat parade). Friday, Saturday and Sunday some free open-air events will take place.

I must say I am not a big Jazz fan, but I like the atmosphere in the city - the music played everywhere in the city centre, people singing, watching, dancing. And usually I don't miss the parade.

Feel free to post if you have more questions.

Ingo

Jan 20th, 2006, 03:35 PM
hsv

Ingo,

just a side note to this (and I do apologize to Bird, I have no intention of hijacking this thread):

I sneaked into the rear entrance of Hotel Vorbach in Hamburg this week as you mentioned your intention to stay there.
While its reputation is pretty good, I thought it did appear to be a bit tired. Just notify me, should you have any intentions to come to town. I'll be quick to assist.

Sorry for this again, Bird - probably you'll draw some benefit out of this as it gets topped again.

Have a great weekend everybody.
Jan 21st, 2006, 02:44 AM

hsv,

thank you for the update on Hotel Vorbach! It looked so appealing from the pics that I thought it would be perfect.

Hamburg is definitely on my list for this year's trips; it won't be earlier than July, though. In any case, I'll post here with "Hamburg" in the title two weeks or so prior to the trip. Thanks for offering assistance!

Ingo
Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo and HSV (I noticed that both of you are featured in the Fodors 2006 Germany guide book - and for good reason.)

I'll be in Dresden for two - three nights around the 12/13 of May. If you have other suggestions for hotels I am all ears. (The Kempinski and the Bulow seem to be out of my price range.) It's a coincidence that I'm there the same time as the Dixieland Jazz festival. I lived in Louisiana for a number of years, so I'm hoping that it's not too cheesy.

HSV - I wish I had a few more days so I could fit Hamburg in to this trip. Maybe next year.

Thanks again.
Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:33 AM
hsv

Bird,

wow - that's some news that makes me blush.

I wish I could help you with your trip, but with Ingo you are in the best hands regarding the Dresden area. Don't worry about Hamburg - while it is a very nice city and one can really feel good here, Dresden has the more spectacular sights and a better preserved and re-built historic Old Town.

Enjoy your trip!
hsv
Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:02 PM

hsv - unfortunately the old town is not (yet) completely rebuilt ;-) Hamburg has other qualities!

Bird,

your news makes me blush too! I wish I knew *how* we are featured!

Hotel choices might be limited during the Dixieland Festival (and it is also Whitsunday/-monday!). You could try at least ...

The 5star Radisson Gewandhaus often has good deals on the internet site.
http://www.dresden.radissonsas.com/

I was going to recommend the Hotel Marthahospiz, but they are fully booked, sorry.

As I said before, both hotels you mentioned are very good hotels. You did not say what you are looking for - 4star minimum? Or would a nice B&B be ok? In the latter case, there is a nice one in quiet location, not far from the city centre.
http://www.pension-am-grossen-garten.de/
Their website is in German only (they speak English too), but maybe you can get an impression. Their email is [email protected]

I saw there are quite some free open-air events during the days you'll be here. Think I am going to be around as well ...
Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Ingo and hsv,

You both are featured in the Fodor's Germany 2006 "Word of Mouth" pages before each new section. Ingo is quoted in the Saxon section and hsv, you are in the Hamburg section. Funny that you wouldn't know that.

Ingo, I'll check into the other places you mentioned. Thanks.
Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:32 PM

Thanks Bird. Yes, it is funny, but how can we know? I will try to get a copy of that Fodors guide Germany, but it is going to be difficult here.
Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM
hsv

Ingo,

Thalia in Hamburg stocks them, I believe. I'll try to get a look at one issue and can let you know. If you want to I might also mail you a copy.

Give me a few days for this. I am currently pretty busy (although the impression might be different considering the time I spend here ).
Jan 24th, 2006, 12:58 AM

hsv,

thanks for the generous offer. Since you are so busy (haha, looks indeed like you're busy on FODORS!) I'll have a look here in Dresden first. If I recall correctly we have an "Internationales Buch" store here.

Thanks again. I'll let you know if it worked out.

Ingo
Jan 24th, 2006, 01:54 AM

If they're going to quote you, the least they could do is send you a complimentary copy. Email the editors and ask.
Jan 25th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi again,

Ingo, I tried several of your other recommendations, but they were full. I'm also looking at the Rothenburger Hof and the Pension Andreas in Blasewitz. (I probably won't have a car and don't want to be stuck out in the burbs.) Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Jan 25th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Bird,

I tried the online booking machine on www.dresden.de and it came up with following results for May 11 - 14 (don't know when exactly you'll be here) - rates per room for 3 nights incl. breakfast:

Radisson SAS Gewandhaus
Double DeLuxe 543 Euro

Steigenberger Hotel de Saxe (right on the Neumarkt square, next to the Frauenkirche, it opens in April so I cannot comment on the quality - be prepared that the surrounding area is still a construction site.)
double deLuxe 645 Euro
double superior 591 Euro

The Rothenburger Hof is a decent 3star, located in the lively Neustadt (19th century architecture, nightlife/clubbing district). Highly recommended, but make sure to book a room to the garden - the rooms to the street are noisy.

Pension Andreas is located in a favourite 19th century residential area with many villas, quiet neighbourhood, but the tram can be a little noisy (for my taste). Tram #12 takes you to the old town within 10 minutes.

I also saw there are several private guest rooms available - incl. shower/WC, breakfast on request, much cheaper. Would one of those be good enough for you?
Jan 25th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Ingo,

Thanks again for the reply and your help.

I've narrowed my dates to May 13 - 15th. I booked a room at the Rothenburger Hof - but will keep my options open. I'm a little wary about private rooms (I don't know why, I've only had one bad experience.) I'll do some more research and get back to you.

-- Bird