Reload this Page >

Hotels in Bayeux

Search

Hotels in Bayeux

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2000, 03:10 PM
Barbara

Hotels in Bayeux

We will be flying in to Paris in September. Plan on staying there for a couple of days to rest up. Then will activate our rail pass and go over to the Normandy coast. Was thinking of using Bayeux as a town to do day trips out of. Plan on renting a car for a couple of days to tour the battle sites. Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay at. I was thinking of the Notre Dam. Has anyone stayed there? Can anyone recommend a better city to be based out of.?

Old May 11th, 2000, 06:09 PM
Monica

Hello Barbara, I am not familar with the hotel you mentioned. I enjoyed a lovely place near the city center. Please see my web page which has the hotel information (under $100 per night). http://sites.netscape.net/monicapileggi/travel I have the hotel (Argouges?) name, address, and other information listed on my web page. It's a 7 minute walk to the tourist office and on Saturdays across the street in the plaza is a wonderful open air market filled with great fruits, vegetables, and live chicks, ducks, etc. Bayeux is a lovely town. Make sure to see the famous tapestry and the WWII museum!

Old May 14th, 2000, 12:34 PM
Margo

Notre Dame is a great hotel & fab restaurant (see below). <BR>NOTRE-DAME: 44, rue Cuisiniers. Tel: 0231928724. Fax: 0231926711. (24 rms., 14 w/toilet & bath or shower.) 605-655F/92-100EUR double; 780F/119EUR triple; 1010F/154EUR quad. Breakfast (7:30-9:30am) at 40F pp. Visa, MC. English spoken (Annick), TV, wonderful charming beautiful warm hotel w/antiquish & uniquely furnished rms., #8 (2 twin beds) & 9 both w/magnificent views of cathedral are for a double; #24 is a large corner rm. for a double; #20 has balcony; #25 & 26 attic rms. for a family; some w/hair driers, delightful sitting rooms, the rms. with no showers/toilets are cheaper, wonderful bar, fabulous restaurant (see below) & terrace, great location opposite the cathedral, no elevator, 3 flrs., free parking. Half-board rates are required in May-Oct. Owned/managed by very friendly & accommodating Mme. Annick Magne. Don’t forget to sign her guest sign-in book. The above description doesn’t even begin to describe this hotel without my notes. For directions, see orientation. Cuisiniers is the 2nd left off St. Martin. (Closed Nov. 15-Dec. 20.) <BR> <BR>NOTRE-DAME: 44, rue Cuisiniers. Local traditional French. Specialty: Normandy seafood. Tel: 0231928724. Fax: 0231926711. Visa, MC, DC, AX. Hrs.: Daily 12noon-3pm & 7:15pm-9:30pm. Closed Nov. 15-Dec. 15, Sun. evenings in Jan. & Feb. 3-course menus that vary from 95-175F pp. Children’s menu 55F. Some of the best meals I had in France were at this restaurant. Fabulous presentation, delicious fresh seafood. Everything we had on the menu was excellent. Mme. Annick Magne will welcome you and your children with open arms. She speaks perfect English and will guide you through the menu. Make sure to let her know if it is your birthday. All you have to do is check out her guest sign-in book to confirm you are eating at the best place in town for your money. Show Mme. Magne this book & she will take special care of you. Hello France! A Hotel Guide To Paris & 25 other French Cities $50-$99 A Night For Two! <BR>http://www.HelloEurope.com <BR> <BR>

Old May 15th, 2000, 07:59 AM
Ruth

We just spent two nights in Baueux and agree that it's a great town for staying in. We were at the Grand Hotel du Luxembourg, which was nice but very noisy as it was right on the street and lots of motorcycles. Had dinner there which was great and dinner the next night at the Lion d'Or. I'd recommend looking at that hotel for a room--it was set back from the street and would probably be quieter.

Old May 15th, 2000, 08:05 AM
Beth Anderson

Why not just stay with Colonel Chilcott in his B&B? <BR> <BR>Wonderful place: "Manoir du Pont Rouge", a 300 year old stone Manor House - inexpensive, a short walk into town (less than a mile I would say, maybe even half a mile), and the host and hostess are charming. <BR> <BR>He is a retired British Lieutenant and is an avid historian. He can take you on battlefield tours - he is very knowledgeable. He had a major hand in restoring the Merville battery, near the Pegasus Bridge (Caen area - go there if you can) <BR> <BR>They will make you feel right at home, right down to the piano "concerts", the 15 year old scotch, and the late night history talks to cap it off. <BR> <BR>I'll post back later with his website/phone number! <BR> but a search on France/Chilcott/B&B or Bayeux should do the trick. <BR> <BR>Beth

Old May 16th, 2000, 09:13 AM
Barbara

Hi Beth <BR>We were able to get reservations at Col. <BR>Chilcott's. Thank for the info.

Old May 16th, 2000, 09:37 AM
Beth Anderson

wow! super! tell him I said hello! I just spoke to him Saturday morning to cancel a reservation (I was going to visit them again in June but am going to Ireland instead). <BR> <BR>If he draws a blank tell him the little blonde girl who was visiting last June with the Kiwi dood named William. <BR> <BR>I hope to go to Normandy later this year, again. You will love it there. You might want to just rent the car from Paris - easier and I bet cheaper than renting one out in the country (but don't quote me on that, I am not sure). It is only maybe a 3 hour drive. Plus you can see interesting things on the way - Giverny (Monet's home and inspiration for many famous paintings) as well as Les Andelys - maybe 10K from Giverny - a 700+ year old fortress Richard Coeur de Lion built to watch over the Seine (quite a strategic location!) <BR> <BR>Bayeux is a good central location for the beaches. Caen would also be good, but is less central (closer to the edge of the British Section). <BR> <BR>one thing to do: get up quite early, before dawn, and drive to the beaches - 20 minutes. You get a different perspective from the daytime, to be sure - it's too bad you will be going in September and not June (about the time of the landings). <BR> <BR> Vierville is the Charlie Sector of Omaha Beach and saw the worst fighting - it is just down from St. Laurent, where the cemetery is. if you luck out, they will leave the gates open and you can go check out the bluff overlooking the beach, in utter peace and serenity. <BR> <BR>There are also a fair amount of examples of the Atlantic Wall to be found, along the lengths of the beaches, too... <BR> <BR>Beth

Old May 16th, 2000, 09:46 AM
Tammy

Beth, great info regarding visiting Normandy. I'll be there, May 30 & 31, and we're renting the car just outside of Paris. Thanks again for the info. <BR> <BR>Tammy

Old May 16th, 2000, 10:14 AM
Beth Anderson

Tammy, <BR> <BR>well since this is becoming such a popular thread now, I'll add in a little more! <BR> <BR>There is a really good resto right on the main drag in Bayeux, I'll be darned if I can remember the name but I could point it out for sure. If you happen to stay with the Colonel, ask - they know the proprietor and always send people there. The BEST creme brulee I have ever had, bar none! My mouth is watering. <BR> <BR>Be sure to see the tapestry while in Bayeux. Amazing - it is over 900 years old. (these are the sorts of things which boggle my mind - the age of everything over there! makes you want to weep to see such history) <BR> <BR>Buy some lace while in Bayeux - in the way olden days, Bayeux and Alencon were famous for their lace - and had quite a rivalry between them. My vote goes with Bayeux - any place which has a 900 year old example of needle work must be good! <BR> <BR>while visiting Caen/Pegasus Bridge, go to the Merville battery. You cross Pegasus Bridge and just keep going for a few miles. <BR> <BR>I could go on and on. enjoy yourselves! <BR> <BR>Beth <BR> <BR>ps. get a Michelin atlas if you don't already have one. Or at least their section specific maps. I've got the whole atlas - you never know where you might just decide to go next. <BR> <BR>the nice thing about the beaches - they are really well marked. Once you get on the main road which follows the beach, there are plenty of signs to guide your way. <BR> <BR>Arromanches is a good place to stop too - check out the Mulberries (false harbors) left there. and DO see the panoramic 360 movie there. you feel like you are in the middle of it all... <BR> <BR>