Reload this Page >

Hotels in Barcelona

Search

Hotels in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Chris

Hotels in Barcelona

Can anyone recommend a hotel between $100-$125? We will be there for 4 nights after a cruise the second week of September. Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:55 AM
michele

Try Gran Via. In your price range, good location (between Ramblas and Gothic Quarter), near airport bus stop, reasonably atmospheric. Ask for a room in the back to avoid street noise.<BR><BR>M.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Chris

Thank you for the info. I couldn't find the hotel on any of the travel websites. Does it go by any other name? They did have Rialto for $90, Hotel Gotico for $130, and Gran Hotel Barcino for $139. Do you know of these hotels. We would like something nice, but doesn't have to be too fancy. It is for our honeymoon, but most of the budget is being used up on cruise and airfare. <BR>Thanks

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Kat

Chris - I don't have any personal experience there yet, but I am booked at the Rivoli Ramblas Hotel in July. We reserved 2 double rooms (there are 4 of us) at a rate of 135.23euro room/night, breakfast included (tax not). It got good reviews in several posts and in some travel books. The rate I got direct from the hotel was cheaper than some internet sites. Their e-mail address is [email protected].<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Rachel

My husband and I stayed at the Rivoli Ramblas last month and enjoyed it. I posted a review in the Rants and Rave section if you want to take a look. We paid about $110/night and the room was very large with a balcony.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:22 PM
michele

Gran Via is on this site's Rants and Raves.<BR><BR>Should you decide to book a hotel on the Ramblas be aware that it is noisy (double paned windows or not). Ask for a back room.<BR><BR>Meson Casilla (spelling)has an excellent reputation and is in your price range. Check the Karen Brown website for a description . I think it's also on Fodor's Rants and Raves.<BR><BR>M.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:27 PM
michele

Chris,<BR>Meson Castilla is on the Rants and Raves and received a fierce RANT. <BR><BR>Good reviews on Gran Via. Also, did you search past posts? There's a lot of good information here on Barcelona. <BR><BR>M<BR><BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Julie

We stayed at Gran Via in 2000. It's wonderfully located, has lovely staircase, nice breakfast room, rooms and halls could use some lightening up and sprucing up. They're clean just not cute. tel 9 3 318 19 00<BR>My friends stayed at Balmes and loved it. It's in the north area of the Diagonal tel 45 1 19 14 Both are in the price range you indicated. Wherever you stay, you'll love Barcelona.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Maribel

Chris,<BR>I've stayed at the Meson Castilla several times (for a bit under $100, including buffet brkf); it was my very dependable, Old World-charming, well-priced, perfectly located, safe and friendly budget hotel for several years. But I've read one or two less than positive reviews lately, although it still receives a glowing rec. in Sandra Gustafson's' "Cheap Sleeps in Spain" guide (published in '00). <BR> <BR>On my 2 visits to Barcelona this summer, after too much research and hrs. on the web, I've decided to go up a notch and try another of Sandra's very well reviewed "Big Splurge" cheap sleeps (and Julie's rec.), the 3 star "Balmes", near the M.Castilla, but above the Plaza de Catalunya in the upscale, very attractive residential/shopping district of the Eixample, near the pretty Passeig de Gracia, where many examples of the Gaudi and co. Modernist architecture are located. <BR>I don't personally enjoy staying on the Ramblas because of the noise, constant street life and the potential pickpocket factor, or in the Barri Gotic, but I think I'm in the minority on this. (But when I was in my twenties,both those areas was the were where I just had to be). <BR><BR>About the Balmes, Gustafson says "comfort and service are the hallmarks..., modern good taste, duplex rms have their own terraces...management is on its toes", and it has consistently received nice comments on this forum, plus it has a small pool. It's a member of the stylish Derby Hotels group, and the promotional rate for July, double rm, listed on 3 internet sites (utell.com, hotelbook.com, derbyhotels.es) is $137 (157 euros). <BR>Another of her "cheap sleeps" that's received good reviews on the forum, near the Meson Castilla/Plaza de Catalunya, is the 3 star, very up to date (internet access, etc.) "H10 Gravina" <BR>(not to be confused with the "Gran Via"). But the double rate there (www.hotel-gravina.com) is beyond your budget, 162 euros. <BR>Gustafson also recommends the "Gran Via" but says "most of the rooms lack the grandeur of the public areas", but the rate there is well within your budget.<BR>Another nice Derby hotel is the "Astoria" (also in "Cheap Sleeps"), but it's a tiny bit further north in the Eixample, off the Avenida Diagonal. The current internet rate there for a double with breakfast is only 114 euros-a great deal for a modern 3 star in Barcelona. And their suites (like #727) have a sitting room with terrace.<BR>Hope this gives you a few more ideas.<BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Capo

Hi Chris. I second what Julie said about the Hotel Gran Via, especially the wonderful location, only a half-block from Passeig de Gracia, between the Gothic Quarter and the Eixample. (I only differ from her in that we thought our room was cute -- but not posh -- as well as clean.) <BR><BR>I don't know if the Hotel Colon, directly across from the Cathedral, would have any rooms for less than $125/night but a lot of people seem to love that one so you might want to check with them. <BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:26 PM
evelyntrav

We stayed at the Rialto, very convenient and very inexpensive. No problem at all with the hotel.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Maribel

Chris,<BR>Please excuse dumb typo on my too long winded post. Make that "..both those areas were where I just had to be". <BR><BR>Forgot to mention that the "Cheap Sleeps" book recommends that at the Gran Via you ask for a room on the terrace side and avoid rm 301 or bring ear plugs.<BR>At<BR>http://barcelona.hotels.msk.ru/spain/barcelona/6678791.asp<BR>a standard twin at the Gran Via goes for 115 euros, and as Capo says, the location is perfect.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:49 PM
marnie

stayed at the Rialto. second evelyns opinion.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Chris

I've read a few rants about rooms being too hot. Does the Gran Via or any other of the other budget hotels have air conditioning?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Chris

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 10:05 AM
michele

Gran Via does have AC.<BR><BR>M.<BR>PS Agree with Maribel regarding Ramblas

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Maribel

Chris,<BR>The Meson Castilla has a.c.