hotels & passports

May 20th, 2001, 04:58 PM
cass

hotels & passports

Is it common for hotels in europe to ask for your passport and keep it overnight? I gave my passport in, but really was not comfortable with that, thought I didn't have a choice.

May 20th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Ed

Some countries retain old laws requiring registration of all visitors with the police. Hotels take care of this for you, and thus, in most cases, the reason for retention of your passport for a short period. Used to be a requirement everywhere, but most countries have eliminated the requirement.

May 20th, 2001, 05:15 PM
andrea

I don't like the idea of not having/leaving my passport and so I always have a couple of copies of the insied pages to give out.These are accepted and returned when I check out.

May 20th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Rex

I keep hearing conflicting "interpretations" about whether it's "the law" in Italy - - or just a common practice. And although you may be asked to "leave them here for 15 minutes" - - we'll be finished with them "soon" - - I have never seen a hotel that wouldn't comply with a request to return your passport on a "while you wait" basis (if you prefer to never let it out of your sight) - - if you will simply smile and indicate that you will be patient until they are finished with it.

On the flip side, I have seen hotels that stick passports back in the mail/key slot- - so that a guest will be able to re-claim them when they come back down to the desk - - and at times, leave such slots quite unattended. It would only take a second for a thief to fill his pocket with passports in such situations.

So you had more choice than you realized perhaps, Cass - - and I don't think there is anything wrong with indicating you want them to get the info quickly and return it to you while you stand there - - just be polite about it.

Best wishes,

Rex

May 20th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Mel

In the UK (including Ireland), France, Italy and Germany I've NEVER had a hotel ask to keep my passport. However, On a train from Paris to Rome the conductor collected them after we boarded and returned them the next morning as we entered Rome. That made me nervous, but I went along like the good sheep I am. I've never had that happen on any other train, by the way.

May 20th, 2001, 08:02 PM
yolyy

Hello:

What do you think about to give them a copy of your passport? I am renting an apartment and they asked me to fax them a copy and I don't really want to give them any copy, I told them I will show them my passport at check in so they can do the registration with the police. They told me it was ok, they will make a copy then. At this ponint I still do not If I want to make a copy but what is my alternative?

Yoly