hotels and air conditioning in Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are planning a trip to southern germany this summer (July)<BR><BR>Is it necessary to look for hotels with air conditioning or can we get away without it.<BR><BR>Thanks
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:01 PM

It can get hot in Bavaria in the summer (85-90 degrees F.). Thus it can be uncomfortable in hotels. <BR><BR>One thing we have done is to purchase an oscillating (rotating) fan that will cool you during the night. You can pick on up for less than $20. Use it while in Europe--then give it to someone when you leave. Saves having to worry about seeking an air-conditioned hotel.<BR><BR>Regards, <BR><BR>Jinx Hoover
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 08:22 PM

I was in Munich for Octoberfest 1999 and it was still in the mid to upper 80's. We had trouble getting a hotel so we had to settle for one right across the street from the Hauptbahnhof. The problem...no AC.<BR><BR>So I had to make a decision for three nights..either open the windows and be somewhat cooler and hear the noise form the train station until 3 AM or close the wondow and burn up but have some quiet.<BR><BR>Find a hotel with AC just in case or find a hotel in a very quiet place!<BR><BR>US
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:22 AM

ga - in the larger cities such as Munich I would definitely opt for A/C, as the concrete canyons tend to make the environment warmer and noise at night limits an &quot;open window&quot; policy. However, in the higher alpine altitudes and in the smaller villages evening and night time temeratures are usually quite comfortable, enough so that you will appreciate a big feather bed. As soon as I say this you will experience the worst heat wave in European history! Play the odds - and good luck!
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:36 AM

We experienced one of the worst heat waves in Germany last June--and we did lose a couple of night's sleep. Stayed up drinking cold beer and wine chatting with others who couldn't get to sleep.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:48 AM

Agree with others re: pref for ac in the cities - not such a big deal in country. But most cheaper and/or older hotels do not have them. You could as an alternative seek out hotels with windows overlooking a garden courtyard - some such hotels exist in Munich in areas for example near the Deutsche Museum near the Isar River. Or hotels next to Englischer Garten - there are a couple of pensions. At least the air will be fresher and you will get quieter rooms. Around HAuptbahnhof will not offer this.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 04:49 AM

We've travelled to Germany over 30 times in the last 25 years. We are hikers, so much of the time has been spent in southern Germany. My experience with &quot;air conditioning&quot; in hotels in this area tells me that it is just not the same as in the US. If you do get a hotel with air, generally, it's nothing like the cool temps that we prefer in the states. I have never had a room with AC that allowed me to sleep with the windows closed.<BR>So, we generally stay in more rural areas so that we can have quieter nites since we know that the windows will be open!<BR>If I was going to stay in the cities, then, I would be careful to pick something in a quieter area...in Munich around the English Gardens, and in Salzburg closer to the outside of the city.