Hotels amsterdam/side trips

Mar 16th, 2001, 01:30 PM
anita

Hotels amsterdam/side trips

My husband and I are going to amsterdam the beginning of Aug. Any ideas for hotels? Also any ideas for side trips. We will be there for 3 days.

Mar 16th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Deena

Anita- Try doing a text search on this forum using 'amsterdam hotels'. There is a wealth of information in past postings that will help you. Also, check out the 'Rants and Raves' section of this site for some more recommendations. I recommend the 'Ambassade' on a lovely canal. We enjoyed this hotel very much. Good luck!

Mar 17th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Kathy

We were there last spring for four days. The museums and walking the city will take up quite a bit of your time. We took the Zanse Schaans side trip but would not recommend it... too little to see for the time in took on the bus. (Only one windmill to tour and a wooden shoe factory.) I would try the flower market trip instead. We stayed at the American and enjoyed it very much.

Mar 18th, 2001, 02:59 AM
topper

to the top...

Mar 18th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Anita, you'll have a great time! Here's one hotel for your "possibles" list that we really liked: the Mercure Arthur Frommer. I've placed a picture and further info on the Igougo.com website. Just copy and past this into your browser for a look (it should work... I'm not a geek! LOL!): http://www.igougo.com/planning/viewA...tml?Entry=1286

Mar 18th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Judy

Hi ANita,

I travel quite frequently to Amsterdam and there are several tips I can give. If you are going to see the museums, you can stay at the Marriott Hotel, Americana Hotel Inter contienntal and Golden Tulip Barbizon. These hotela are walking distance to the museums, about few blocks wonderful locations and you can also take the Cable Trans to the Central location near Rembrant and train station. These hotels are expensive but worth the convenience.
For side trips they are the boat ride and youc an check with the hotel and they give lots of tips.

Judy

Mar 18th, 2001, 10:46 AM
dena

Anita---I stayed at the Marriott a couple of years ago and it was nice and it was very convenient. I took a trip to Delft to see one of the delftware factories---it was about an hour by train and was very glad I went---

May 2nd, 2002, 09:23 AM
Susan

Will be in Amsterdam 5 nights in June 2002. I'm 1 person, looking for room with private bath, but more 2/3 star-ish than these suggested above. Definitely not the youth hostel either though <g>. Any thoughts around the 80-100 Euro range?

May 2nd, 2002, 01:22 PM
tj

Seems to be a lot of booked hotels for the week of the 15th in Amsterdam.

Any insight on the Sofitel?

thx!

May 3rd, 2002, 04:46 PM
Linda

Hi Anita,

I just returned from Amsterdam today - I stayed at the Canal House Hotel on Keizergracht. It was absolutely beautiful and very romantic (children not allowed). It was near Jordaan and the Anne Frankhuis which is a nicer area. The hotel is full of antiques, has rooms overlooking a beautiful garden or the canal. I stayed in two different rooms (since I booked last minute) #2 which overlooked the garden and was 140 euros/night. I also stayed in #23 which didn't have a view but the room was twice as big and 170 euros/night (both with a 5% discount if you pay cash).

It was about a 15 minute walk to Central Station and a 15 minute walk to the museums/Leidseplein area. There was a tram stop right at the end of the block (2 minutes) at Weserkerk. I used the tram most of the time, but it cost me only 6 euros to take a cab to Centraal Station this morning.

Breakfast is included (nothing fancy, but a good variety - bread, cereal, granola, vanilla yogurt, hard boiled eggs, cheese, meats, corn bread, juice).

They have a very cute bar/reading room with lots of books and magazines, umbrellas and every Amsterdam travel guide ever published for you to borrow.

I found everyone very pleasant and helpful with directions (it seems as if everyone in Amsterdam speaks English).

It didn't matter to me, but just in case you care...no TV's in the rooms and some of the rooms have only baths and hand sprays (no shower)....room #2 had a shower and #23 had only a bath.

May 18th, 2002, 11:50 PM
descantle

Dear Deena,

The Kap hotel is a great place to stay, nice staff, good value for money and GREAT location, can do everything walking, 5 trams just round the corner, very quiet street

May 19th, 2002, 07:59 AM
jenviolin

Side trip: get up very early and go to the Alsmeer Flower Auction (near Schiphol airport). It starts around 6am. It's the largest flower auction in the world and flower/plant brokers & buyers from all over the world are there every day. There is a walking tour on ramps above the action so you really get to see what's going on. By 9am you've probably seen enough...and you still have the whole day ahead of you!

Delft is about 56 minutes from Amsterdam, 42 minutes from the airport. Thursday is a good day to visit Delft, big outdoor market on...Market Square, with a flower/plant market around the corner. There's a smaller market on Saturdays on the Burgwal. It's a charming town, good for escaping the bustle and worldliness of Amsterdam.

May 20th, 2002, 06:20 AM
richard

Make your reservations a.s.a.p. augist is very busy!

May 20th, 2002, 06:37 AM
patrickw

If you only have three days, then Amsterdam itself can easily take up all your time, and leave you wanting more.

Another possibility is a train ride to Utrecht - a much quieter city - and a visit to the museum of mechanical musical instruments in the Buurkerk. Not as dull as it might sound, you go on a guided group tour round clocks with mechanical birds, street organs, hurdy-gurdies, machines that play violins, pianolas and finally huge dance-hall organs that play boogie-woogie (with a dance floor to try out your lindy-hop, if you've a mind to).

You can also take bus tours out to a (slightly touristy) fishing village like Marken or Volendam.

Or in August a walk in the Amsterdamse Bos (a large park created on the outskirts as a job-creation measure in the 20s/30s) might be nice.

May 20th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Mieke

The best side trip from Amsterdam is Delft. This is one of the most beautiful towns in Holland. Thursday and Saturdays are the best days to go because its market day. You can spend the entire day there just wandering the streets. Its only about a 45 minute train ride make sure you take the "Snel Train" so that it stops there. You can also vist Den Haag and see the Peace Palace as well as visit the seaside resort of Scheveningen. Volendam is also a great trip from Amsterdam..dont take a tour though just take the public bus from Centraal Station and ask the bus driver to let you know when you should get off. Everyone speaks english so you will have no problem. Also Floriade is this year, its an outdoor flower show that happens every 10 years..it is really amazing. Also a nice little town is Gouda very nice market, I believe on Thursday they do a reenactment of a cheese market. Enjoy your trip!!

May 20th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Tom

Dear Anita and Susan,

My favourite small hotel in Amsterdam is the Hotel Brouwer on the Singel canal, only a ten minute walk from Centraal Station and built around 1652. It's always heavily booked in advance, so get on that phone quickly. It costs only 85 Euros for a double room. The breakfasts are great, and the owners are very nice indeed.

Failing that, try the Fantasia on the Nieuwe Keizersgracht. It's in roughly the same price range, the breakfasts and owners are equally great, but it's in an entirely different location. Take tram 14 to Waterlooplein, then it's only a five minute walk from there.

I agree with the poster who said that in three days, you may pretty much want to stay in Amsterdam, it has SO much to offer, especially if it's your first time there. For the record, my favourite places outside Amsterdam are Maastricht (leave very early as the journey is around two hours by train), Utrecht, Delft, Den Haag, and Haarlem, in that order; all worth visiting.

If you are interested, I'd recommend the Virgin guide to Amsterdam. It includes a lot of quirky details for you to get the most out of the city. One thing I notice about Amsterdam is that there are always LOTS of lovely, sometimes very discreet, little surprises awaiting you around every corner. Keep your eyes open for these; they are delightful.

I'll be there in mid July with my wife. We're really looking forward again to being in this most relaxing, cosy, cultured, friendly, and romantic of cities. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

May 20th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Georgia

To the top for Anita.

May 21st, 2002, 01:40 PM
Joe MacEndrick

topping

May 22nd, 2002, 06:17 AM
Jordan

To the top!

May 22nd, 2002, 06:39 AM
Linda

I just returned from Amsterdam a few weeks ago.

I stayed at the Canal House Hotel near the Anne Frank museum.

The hotel was reasonabally priced (140 euros/night), the rooms were beautifully furnished with antiques. I stayed in two different rooms since I booked last minute - one overlooking the garden (which was nice) and a larger room without a view which was even nicer (although I missed the view). I had heard from this board that rooms overlooking the canal are also nice, but I didn't see one.

The hotel was in a very safe/nice area, the staff was friendly, breakfast was included and I was able to walk almost everyplace (although there was a tram stop at the end of the block - about a 3 minute walk).

The hotel did have an elevator (which I guess is uncommon), one of my rooms had a shower, the other did not (if this is important to you, I guess you should request one).

They had a very cute bar/reading room which included every Amsterdam travel book you can imagine. They also had umbrellas for guests to borrow in case of rain.

The staff was very helpful in suggesting activities and dining options.

Make sure you try some pancakes while you are there. I enjoyed the dessert ones best.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO