Search

Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 07:09 PM
Michele

Hotels

Hi - planning a honeymoon to Italy in October and was wondering if you guys (gals) had any recommendations on hotels in Venice, Florence and Rome. Looking for 4 or 5 star properties - luxurious and romantic are musts(its our honeymoon, so I guess we can splurge). Any suggestions?

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 11:46 PM
Mark

Hi, for Rome I can highly recommend the newly renovated Grand Hotel! Central location and classy design! If you want to stay in the best hotel in Venice, you have to go to the Hotel Cipriani!!

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:54 PM
richard j vicek

Mark, there are two hotels GRAND HOTEL PALACE , via Veneto, 70 and the LE GRAND HOTEL, via Vittorio Emanule Orlando,3..? <BR>Also my recommendation for an in spot <BR>in Venice would be the MONACO E GRAND CANAL, calle Vallaresso, 1325 it is <BR>located about 3/4 block from Pza S. Marco and on the Grand Canal. The Cipriani is on Giudecca and you would <BR>have to take the boat back and forth <BR>from the Pza S. Marco.... <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il. <BR>see www.veniceinfo.it for hotel info...

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:58 PM
richard j vicek

Mark, there are two hotels GRAND HOTEL PALACE , via Veneto, 70 and the LE GRAND HOTEL, via Vittorio Emanule Orlando,3..? <BR>Also my recommendation for an in spot <BR>in Venice would be the MONACO E GRAND CANAL, calle Vallaresso, 1325 it is <BR>located about 3/4 block from Pza S. Marco and on the Grand Canal. The Cipriani is on Giudecca and you would <BR>have to take the boat back and forth <BR>from the Pza S. Marco.... <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il. <BR>see www.veniceinfo.it for hotel info... <BR>For Florence would pick the LUNGARNO or <BR>its sister hotel the CONTINENTAL both <BR>are located on the river at the Ponte <BR>Vecchio and both four star see www.slh.com/pages/f/flolungn.html. <BR>view from Lungarno and hotel above the <BR>champagne bucket across the river is <BR>the Continental with its tower apartment ...rjv

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 05:36 PM
Dana

In Venice, I was upgraded to the best suite in the house at the Europa and Regina. The room was fantastic, but the balcony was the best! It was 150 sq ft. of heaven, right over the Grande Canal, which is like being on main street, but without the huge noise of cars---just boats. We had 2 chaise lounges, table and chairs, and in your face views of the beautiful Santa Maria Salute. One morning a gondola race went on right outside our room. Often, someone was singing Santa Lucia on a gondola outside. It was also fun to watch what came in and went out of Venice. It all traveled by our room. <BR> <BR>To see the balcony, rent "The Talented Mr. Ripley". In the Venice scene where he is on the balcony with the lawyer---that's it! There is also another balcony room two doors down with an equally large balcony and a room below with a smaller balcony. <BR> <BR>email me at [email protected] where I get most of my mail. <BR> <BR>Florence--haven't stayed there, but understand the Excelsior is the best. <BR> <BR>Rome--The Hassler is commonly viewed as the best, however, the Inghliterra just underwent a remodel (I think), and the Lord Byron is mentioned in most guide books. <BR> <BR>Check Karen Brown's website for more recommendations. <BR> <BR>Happy Honeymoon! PS Be sure to go to San Marco square after the hordes of tourists have left. That is the best time to be there. 3 or 4 bands play, the only people there are people who are staying in the area, and when the moon shines, it is sooooo romantic!

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 05:58 PM
Michele

Thanks everyone - i'll let you know what I decide on.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:04 AM
travelers

Would strongly recommend the Minerva Crown Plaza, only 5 star in Centro Storico, within walking distance of most everything. We had a great package in December for 3 nights, room was smallish, but well appointed, and had lovely view over old Roman rooftops. I'm sure that you could get a larger room (suite perhaps), if you wanted to spend. They also picked us up at the airport (in a Mercedes!) for an additional cost which was a very nice way to enter the city. <BR> A friend who lived in Rome for 6 years told us to stay in the historic section because of its proximity to so much and neat cafes, shopping, sites, and he was right! <BR>Congratulations! Have a wonderful trip!