hotel with the best view of lake como?

May 1st, 2009, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

hotel with the best view of lake como?

which hotel has the best view of lake como?
May 1st, 2009, 10:53 AM

Don't know about BEST but we loved the Hotel Florence in Bellagio. Right on the waterfront, great views over the lake and near the ferry stop. We had the top floor room on the left as you look at the hotel - the one with gold and black curtains, bedspread if you look at the pictures on their web site

http://www.hotelflorencebellagio.it/infoeng.htm

The balcony from the french doors looked over the lake. Went in May 2008 and prices were reasonable - about 200 euros per night which included a very nice breakfast. There is a very good restaurant in this hotel also.
May 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM

Il Perlo Panorama. Even if you do not get a front view, you can always sit on the terrace and enjoy the view while sipping a glass of wine.

http://www.il-perlo.com/404.htm
May 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM

The Belvedere in Bellagio sits higher above the lake than many other hotels but a lot depends on your own definition of "best" IMO
May 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM

Hi; We agree with 'drbb'. The Hotel Florence was lovely. There is a large deck on the right with two rooms leading directly to the deck. Can't go wrong. iris1745/dick
May 1st, 2009, 12:33 PM
May 1st, 2009, 07:46 PM

Some people like to be high above the shoreline, and some like to be at the water's edge. Some like the view OF Bellagio, and some like the view FROM Bellagio.

We liked the view from the Du Lac in Varenna.

http://www.albergodulac.com/english.html

Check YouTube. There are several videos taken in Varenna and from the Belvedere, Il Perlo Panorama, Florence and Serbelloni Hotels in Bellagio.
May 1st, 2009, 09:42 PM

What about George Clooney's villa? Think he'd rent out a room??
May 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM

It depends on what part of Lake Como you want a view of.

I do think Hotel Du Lac and Hotel Florence in Bellagio have wonderful views (they are side by side). However, the apartments at La Limmonera and Villa Serbelloni do too. But some people definitely prefer Varenna. The view from Villa D'Este isn't what I'd call shabby either.
May 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM

Sitting by the pool at the Serbelloni in Bellagio, sipping Proseco.
May 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM

We stayed at Grand Hotel Tremezzo a couple of years ago. Great view of the Lake.
May 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM

Albergo Lenno is right on the edge of the lake. The ferry stop is within yards of the entrance to the hotel...which also means that when you want to visit Bellaggio, etc., all you have to do is walk out the door, hop on the ferry, and take a 15-minute ride on that bellissimo lago.

We stayed there 4 nights in October 2006, in a room whose window opened directly onto a magnificent view of the lake. We loved everything about the place, including the delightful little town of Lenno! Peaceful, beautiful, wonderful management. I can't say enough positive things about this special place!
http://www.albergolenno.com/inglese/
May 2nd, 2009, 09:11 PM

We had a wonderful view of the lake from the Albergo Milano.
May 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM

I second flygirl in selecting the Eremo Gaudio in Varenna.

However you must stay in a room at the very top of the Hotel.

It is a sparse room, but comfortable, there is a lovely terrace.

I shared the same view as flygirl and it was spectacular.
May 3rd, 2009, 03:20 AM

Here is where I plan to stay on my next trip (as of yet, unplanned) to Lake Como:

http://www.laperlatremezzo.com/ita/hotel.htm
May 3rd, 2009, 03:57 AM

eks, that looks like a winner for my next trip...!

Thanks for sharing.
May 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM

'Best' is subjective. Prices vary (120 euro to 700 euro per day). My personal preference would be lake-front, not up a hill.

What do want a view of? In Pescalo you have sail boats and small motor boat moored in front of the hotel. you might like that. In Lenno the boats are tied to dock at the seawall. at one point the lake is only 750 feet wide at some points two+ miles.

For some of the hotels, you can use google maps and get an idea of the view.

Here is my two cents, lake-front, within budget, any balcony would be a plus.
May 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM

We loved www.grandhoteltremezzo.com

The views across the lake to Belliago were stunning, especially at sundown when Belliago just glowed. There was a balcony restaurant where we had breakfast every morning and dinner several nights with a great view of the lake. You could also hike up a hill behind the hotel for more gorgeous views of the lake.

It's right next door to Villa Carlotta(spectacular gardens), and there is a boat stop very close to the hotel. One of our all time favorite restaurants was "AlVeluu" in the hills overlooking the lake about a 5-10 min. drive from the hotel. They had outside dining with outstanding food and view.

We chose a room on the back side overlooking the beautiful gardens and pool to cut the cost and we were very happy with our choice.
May 8th, 2009, 10:19 AM

I think our view was nice... in Varenna.. Villa Cipressi, 3rd floor.

Here's a pic I took from our room, they have nice gardens too.
http://timcoad.googlepages.com/timandnancyinlakecomo

(The other pics are of bellagio and Menaggio)
May 8th, 2009, 10:37 AM

I have a reservation at the Florence. Superior Corner Double with lake view and balcony at €200 including breakfast. Great restaurant right on the water.