HOTEL UPGRADES?

Apr 1st, 2009, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

HOTEL UPGRADES?

We travel to London this next week and are wondering how one best asks for an upgrade or complimentary breakfast. It will be only one day but three rooms.Should one go directly to the chain (Radisson) or ask Expedia to do the deed?Share your thoughts/experience.Thanks
Apr 1st, 2009, 04:03 PM

OK - I'm not sure how Expedia can get a local property to upgrade you or add breakfast. If you want an upgrade, you'll have to ask the hotel for it. What, if anything, the hotel offers would be dependent on lots of variables . . . . .
Apr 1st, 2009, 04:04 PM

It never ocurred to me to ask for a cmplimentary breakfast if I bought a room rate that didn't include one.

If you are a member of the hotel's frequent guest program, perhaps you can get some special treatment at check-in.
Apr 1st, 2009, 05:28 PM
yk

I can't imagine why the hotel would give you complimentary breakfast unless you're have elite status with their GoldPoint members program - and even that is not a guarantee. And you want free breakfast for all 6 guests?

As for upgrade, sure you can ask, but be prepared to be told you can upgrade your room if you pay extra £.
Apr 1st, 2009, 06:25 PM

Do the "upgrade flirt".
Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:59 AM

Absolutely. I still can't get over that one!
Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:12 AM

Here's a real story from my dad:

He went for a backpacking trip (true) last April to Germany. I booked a cheap hotel for him near the Hanover train station for one of his stops.

When he checked in to the hotel, the front desk clerk - and the only employee there - took a long time to inspect my dad's US passport. Then he said that he's from Iran and belongs to the Hezbollah movement.

Anyways, the two of them had some nice long chats about politics, America and religion; and the clerk asked why my dad wasn't getting breakfast at the hotel. My dad probably said it was too expensive, or he didn't eat much or something. The clerk couldn't persuade him, and at the end told him he'd give my dad complimentary breakfast.

In a way, that's a variation of the "flirt".
Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Spontaneous upgrades are not that uncommon.While in Lisbon we mentioned it was our anniversity and what do you know -upgrade. With all the pressure on the airline/hotel staff I always make an effort to be supportive in a caring way - not fake but sincere - it works.So loosen up and try using your charm. Also times are tough and return customers are gold and they talk.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 06:53 PM

OK - since you are such a pro at the technique -- why did you ask how to do it??
Apr 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Janisj - You are a nasty one - get a life.
Apr 4th, 2009, 11:14 AM

FREDMADCEL.

Quit insulting folks You are the one who seems to think that a hotel should just upgarade you because you are "charming" That response makes me wonder?

Seriously, if you have no status with a hotel chain, aren't paying top dollar etc.. just don't get your hopes up! You are the one on here asking the question. "Get a life" Why should they upgrade you?

But calling people "nasty" generally doesn't get you anything good.