Hotel Suggestions in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to Italy on 9/23/06 staying in the following cities - Bari, Rome, Florence and Venice. Two suggestions I have received for places to stay are Hotel Imperiale in Rome (near Borghesi) and Hotel Lucchessi in Florence. Has anyone heard of either and have any opinions? As far as Venice and Bari I'm at a loss on where to stay...any advice would help. Im looing for a "middle of the road" place as far as price. Thanks!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:44 AM
ira

Hi C,

How much is "middle of the road"?

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.lacalcina.com is excellent in Venice but contact asap as they are deservedly very popular.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:50 AM
rex

I would interpret "middle of the road" as close to the 50th %ile, for a given city - - which may or may not hit you with sticker stock. And while I do not know Bari, I suspect that its 50th %tile will be considerably lower than what you find for Venice. Take a look at www.venere.com - - you can decide if the range of room rates you see there match your expectations.

I'd say that Hotel Ala is a good example of "middle of the road" there.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

I suppose when I say middle of the road I'm thinking $300 US. I'm not looking for a luxury/upscale hotel but I do not want to be in a low-end hotel either. From what I have seen $300 will get me a room somewhere in the middle of these two types. Sound right?

Rex - where is Hotel Ala?
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 08:05 AM
ira

Hi C,

$300 is about 250E and puts you in the 3*-4* range.

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Suze - I just checked out La Calcina and love what I see. Thanks for the suggestion! I just emailed them.

Also, to clarify again, middle of the road - I'm more referring to the type of place. As far as price, one always wants as cheap as possible, of course, but I would go up to $300 US a night.

thanks!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Castro-my very first suggestion to you would be to go on www.venere.com-for ALL of your cities-it has a nice location map-it divides the cities into the different areas, and shows the hotels in each, plus reviews of each hotel. I would not advise staying near the Borghese-that's too far away from the center-consider Navona, Pantheon, Campo dei Fiori, Colosseum, Termini zones for Rome.

For the end of September, booking now, you're going to have a problem finding reasonably priced good accomodation in Rome, Venice, Florence, because most of the hotels are quite booked-I know, I've been looking!

Florence-all the main sights are quite close together in city center, and the train station is quite walkable to the Duomo. Suggest Hotel Caravaggio-a great little 3 star hotel, rooms, staff, price to value- near SMN train station, near to the train station and to sights

Venice-pretty much any area is within a 20 minute walk or less from the main sights in Piazza San Marco/Accademia area, however, you can just jump on a vaporetto to take you back and forth as well-I would suggest Ca Gottardi in Cannaregio, Antiche Figure in Santa Croce, Liassidi Palace in Castello, Hotel Ca Dogaressa in Cannaregio

I don't know Bari, so have nothing to suggest there.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

ira - is 3* to 4* decent in Italy?
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 08:15 AM

In Florence- I would recommend (highly) the Hotel Davanzati.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

thanks Girlspytravel! Very helpful! If I find any available hotels I will let you know.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

thanks K - as Suze pointed out, Davanzati is not available for my dates, my looked very nice. I'll keep searching.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:54 AM
rex

<< Where is Hotel Ala? >>

I see you didn't do (comb through) the recommended reading yet.

It's right here:

http://www.venere.com/hotel/index.ph...ction=location
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM

www.tripadvisor.com is a good resource for finding hotels, It has lots of travelers' reviews. I find www.venere.com useful for narrowing down hotel location. In general, try to be as central as possible. The exception is Venice, where it's too crowded around Piazza San Marco. But Venice isn't a big place anyway.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:22 AM

I can highly recommend the Hotel Ala. I stayed at the Hotel Ala for 6 nights in April. It is a 5 minute walk to St. Marks square but it is located on a quiet square. I know that some on this board prefer not to stay so close to St. Marks square, but one of the highlights of my trip was my daily early morning walk through the square before the hoards descended.

The hotel is very pretty with high ceiling rooms beautiful glass lamp fixtures. It is about a 100 yard from a vaparetto stop. The rooms include a full breakfast.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:27 AM

For Florence, check out TOURIST HOUSE GHIBERTI, which is just around the corner from the Duomo.

In Rome, try ALBERGO DEL SENATO. Very small rooms, but an unbeatable location on the Piazza Della Rotunda, just across from the Pantheon.

In Venice, La Calcina is an excellent choice!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:36 PM

castra...for 250E's you can buy Bari. But, hopefully, you'll stray into the Trulli districts about an hour from Bari...very unique area...look it up...we stayed at an actual trulli lodge in the town of Alberobello...
Hotel Trullincanto..less than 100E's...
Bari is not the most inviting city and its port area is wise to avoid...unless you're shipping off to Dubrovnik across the Adriatic.

http://www.bookings.it/hotel/it/trul...el=alberobello

Stu T.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Castra...I should give you a heads up here...if, indeed, you're sailing across to Dub from Bari, be aware that most of the Adriatic's cancelled ferries occur between those two ports...we were cancelled out of Dub because of "heavy seas" and friends of our were cancelled for three days out of Bari...evidently the currents in that one stretch are treacherous at certain times. Our cancellation was in spring, but friends were in summer.
Stu T.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 01:23 PM

castronova,

We had a wonderful stay at Ca dei Conti in Venice. It's small, located on a little canal, and so pretty.

Our rooms (we had four) were all large, with sitting areas. The bathrooms had wonderful jacuzzi tubs.

www.cadeiconti.com

Byrd
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

wow - thanks everyone for all of this great info! Yes Rex, you caught me, I haven't combed through everything yet. I will tonight when I get home but these suggestions will make it that much easier, as I plan to book the hotels tonight. I will let you all know what I end up with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -