Reload this Page >

Hotel Star(Nice)--AARRGGHH

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Bill

I had the worst travel experience I have ever had with the Hotel Star in Nice France. <BR> <BR>Upon arrival at 11:00 pm, we found out Georges (hotel manager)had decided to give our rooms away for no apparent reason. Our AMEX Gold card reservation obviously didn't mean very much. When the clerk at the Hotel couldn't help us I asked him to call Georges at home. <BR> <BR>Georges was not just unhelpful, but rude, combative, and very loud!!! His wife was the same. <BR> <BR>Bottom line--they called a couple of hotels (there was an international triathlon in town) determined they couldn't help us find a room, asked us to leave and would not let us use the hotel phone to make any calls. We eventually found a hotel at approximately 3:00pm. <BR> <BR>I cannot figure out why he was so enraged with us. <BR> <BR>Has anyone else had this problem?? Let me hear from you.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Patrick

Just wanted to clarify. You arrived at 11 PM -- at night? You didn't find another room untill 3 PM the next day? I suspect you meant that you arrived at 11 AM, but if indeed it was 11 PM, I'm not too surprised. I'd never arrive that late at a hotel without reconfirming that morning or at least the day before and letting them know about our late arrival.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 11:56 AM
London

Most hotels in Europe do have a check in deadline. If you are intending to check in late you must inform them to keep the room. <BR> <BR>It doesn't work like in America, where if you give a credit card, the room is yours for the night and will be charged for, used or not. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 11:20 AM
Bill

Sorry, <BR> <BR>Need to clarify. <BR> <BR>Arrived at 11:00 PM found another foom at 3:00 AM <BR> <BR>When I made my reservation (in March), I told him I would be arriving late, and the room was guaranteed (according to American Express. <BR> <BR>I did confirm by e-mail one day before I left the states (4 days before my arrival in Nice)

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 01:19 PM
Christina

Guys named Georges in France are always big trouble, believe me, second only to Jean-Lucs. Never had your problem but I am guessing he was po'd about being bothered at home at midnight, maybe he was having sex or something? I can understand your annoyance except that it sounds like you went through a middleman, American Express, and maybe you didn't contact the hotel so that might be your problem. Also, I hate to say it, but that is a somewhat cheap hotel and I think that is not the kind of hotel that is going to be so service-oriented towards American Express or even care that much about AmEx. In the future, you might consider staying in a higher quality hotel if you want special services (I consider holding a room until almost midnight a special service). I know they should have done it anyway if you let them know and they said they would just before your arrival (which it isn't clear if you spoke to them or only AmEx), but telling them in March by email that you plan to arrive late in October is kind of expecting a lot?

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 11:03 PM
xxxxx

Bill, you learned a valuable lesson, never assume anything with an hotel reservation, in the USA or overseas, confirm the day before or the day you arrive directly with the hotel. And even then don't assume you have the room at 11pm.