Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel room with the best scenery in europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:34 AM
jeff

When staying in a hotel the scenery out of my room is important to me. My top 3 hotels are- 1- Palaxe Hotel in Luzern- You can sit in the balcony for ours watching the ferries in the lake.<BR> 2- Canal view room in the Danieli- I know we have to pay an arm and a leg but there is nothing like getting up at dawn and watching the canal and the vibrant color of the sky reflect on the waters.<BR> 3- Zermatthoff (sp?) in Zermatt. The best view over the matterhorn.<BR><BR><BR>I would love to know more hotels so do not hesitate.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:42 AM
meg

Hotel Rafaello in Urbino which has spectacular views over the terracotta tiled rooftops to the Ducal Palace

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Rex

For its contralateral view of the same lake (and terrific really big windows in the rooms), Hotel Albana in Weggis for the same reasons.<BR><BR>And though I have never actually stayed there (only ate dinner there), Villa San Michele in Fiesole, overlooking Florence - - is surely deserving to be on a list like this.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:57 AM
nostalgia

reminds me of that episode from Fawlty Towers! ( THe one about the view from a Torquay hotel window!)

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Hera

<BR>Jeff,<BR><BR>Save an arm and a leg and stay at the Locanda Leon Bianco, near the Ca' d'Oro. It is a fraction of the price, is delightful, and offers a breathtaking view to the laft and right of the Grand Canal.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Patrick

Any of the hotels on Lake Bled, Slovenia, particularly the Grand Hotel Toplice. It give &quot;picture postcard view&quot; a new meaning -- small, glass smooth lake with a tiny island and church in the middle, picturesque boats being rowed across the lake to take people to the island, and even a tall cliff with a picturesque castle right across the lake dominating the view!! Amazing site, but very expensive as it uses up tons and tons of film!!!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:18 AM
CoachBoy

Past may, we stayed at the DeLaVille Intercontinental in Rome. The rooms on the top two floors have huge balconys with panoramic views of the entire city, from the coliseum to st. peters.<BR><BR>I had a hard time leaving.<BR><BR>CoachBoy<BR><BR>PS. Only rooms in front of hotel. Maybe only 10 maximum.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Grasshopper

Hotel Aminta in Sorrento, high on the hill with 180 plus degree view of the Bay of Napoli, Vesuvius and lovely Sorrento spilling down the hillside. <BR><BR>Albergo Navegna in Locarno with the beautiful north end of Lago Maggiore framed in the window, still with the morning mist rising and sailboats anchored to their buoys bobbing peacefully.<BR><BR>Hotel du Quai Voltaire in Paris with the window that looks out on the Seine and the Louvre lit up magestically at night.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 12:43 PM
up

topping<BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Sheila

The south east facing roooms in the Sligachan Hotel on Skye overlook Sgurr Gillean; surely one of he most picturesque mountains in the world

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 11:08 PM
sakis

I vote for hotel Katoikies, in Santorini,Greece.Magnificent sea view with the volcano just infront of you!And of course,the best sunset in the world!!!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 05:50 AM
richard j vicek

Goodmorning, jeff<BR>ZERMATT- had room in the MONTE ROSA from<BR>which you could wake up, look out the<BR>window with a full view of the Matterhorn......<BR>SAN MARINO - the sunset from the TITANO.<BR>SORRENTO The view of Vesuvius, Naples<BR>and the Bay of Naples, either day or<BR>night a most wonderful view.. The<BR>north side of the peninsula has it all<BR>over the south side......<BR>GRINDELWALD, the view of the EIGER from<BR>the room balcony of the SCHWEIZERHOF...<BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, IL..

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Grinisa

The Sirenuse in Positano and the Villa d'Este in Cernobbio.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Frank

Hotel de l'Aiguille du Midi in Les Bossons outside of Chamonix looks directly at the Aiguille and Mont Blanc from your balcony.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Lillie Harty

I would vote for Hotel Europe in Killarney in south-west Ireland.It has a beautiful view of the largest of the lakes in Killarney National Park while the mountains in the background seem to change their appearnce by the hour.I really enjoyed dinner there as I watched the sun set over the lake around 9pm one summer.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Jon

Hotel Palace, the island of Hvar, Croatia.<BR>It was listed in Cond&eacute; Nast Traveler as one of the top ten hotels in the World with best room views (at magical Hvar's harbour and archipelago)

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Maira

Go to the following website: http://www.manorhouses.com/regions/viana.html<BR><BR>See the first picture to the right? That's the view from Room 312 of the Pousada de Santa Luzia in Viana Do Castelo, Portugal. Selected in 1996 as one of 12 best views from a hotel room by Conde Nast Traveler magazine, the hotel was absolutely gorgeous. We did not stayed here, but visited and the courteous staff let us take a peak. This is a place very close to the top of my list of places to go back to.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 05:20 PM
tracy

Great question! Our recent favorites were the Hotel Minerva in Sorrento. Breathtaking sea views from your balcony.<BR>Also, Hotel Rufulo in Ravello. Courtyard and balcony sea views accompanied by live classical music at night is not to be mised.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Sally

La Cisterna in San Gimigano has a wonderful view of the Tuscany hills, valleys, grape vines, and olive groves.<BR><BR>Any Varenna hotel on the bank of Lake Como- beautiful mountains on the water.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 04:49 AM
Byrd

A top floor room at Hotel Porto Roca in Monterosso al Mare (Cinque Terre), with a wonderful terrace overlooking the Ligurian Sea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -