Reload this Page >

hotel reservations well in advance vs day before

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 06:24 AM
natasha

Hello. <BR>I'm looking for more advice from experienced travellers. My friend and I are travelling to Germany (along the Rhine), France (Alsace region, Loire Valley and Paris) and Belgium (Brugge) in the last two weeks of September. <BR> <BR>We would like to keep our travel arrangements somewhat flexible in case we like one area and want to stay a bit longer, or in case we don't like a particular area. <BR>I also saw on Rick Stevens website that one of the top mistakes people make when travelling is making too many reservations. <BR>Is this true? <BR> <BR>We will generally be staying in youth hostels. Is it safe to phone the day before we plan to arrive to make a reservation? <BR> <BR>I know this might simply be a matter of opinion, but it would make me feel safer if I knew the general opinion. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Natasha

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 06:40 AM
Ed

If you're not fussy about where you sleep there's almost no need for reservations ... even if it's the park on occasion, or 100 miles from where you wanted to be. <BR> <BR>Just because you have reservations doesn't mean you can't cancel/change (with notice) if you find something to make you want to change your itinerary. <BR> <BR>Reservations are (almost) always something you can give up, but can't always get ... at least where you want. <BR> <BR>Some further thoughts on whether to make hotel reservations at www.twenj.com/tipshotel.htm <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 07:47 AM
Amy

We went to Germany last year and did a similar trip with the Rhine, Black Forest, Munich and Heidelberg. We only made reservations for our first night there along the Rhine because we did not want to worry about it. The rest of the time we just stopped wherever we were. We stayed in charming B&B's and rarely payed more than $60 a night. The only time we had an issue was in Munich. I suggest you make reservations if you are going to a bigger city. We also had a car so it made it very easy to just drive a little further if we didn't find something. Half of the fun though was just being spontaneous and I would do it that way again.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 08:18 AM
lola

In all my years of travel I've never had a problem getting a room last-minute--esp. in a less-traveled time, such as Sept. That said, I usually plan ahead, because by now I have a good idea of where I want to go and how long I want to spend. But you sound spontaneous, so don't worry. Just get a guidebook to carry with you for suggestions, and the booths at the tourist offices, train stations and airports will always help.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 02:32 PM
natasha

Thanks everyone for your reply. <BR>Since we will be taking the train and lugging our backpacks, and hopefully staying in hostels with smaller rooms, I think I should make reservations beforehand. As Ed suggested I can probably move my reservation ahead/back a day. I don't want to have to stress about whether I will have a place to stay or not. (I was hoping magically for the best of both worlds). <BR>Natasha