Hotel reservations in winter !?

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 09:52 PM
ll

Hotel reservations in winter !?

Hi,

I'm planning to travel throughout Bavaria during Christmas and New Year. The places I have in mind are Garmish, Romantic Road, Salzburg and everything in between. I usually don't book hotels in advance because sometimes I want to stay longer in one place but not the other, thus I want to be flexible here.
Do you know if this is a good idea during that time of year? I've heard the tourism in bavaria is not at its peak during winter so I wouldn't have any trouble finding a hotel as I drive... Is that true?

Thanks.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 07:59 AM
s

ll,

Short answer: no.

Bavaria, Salzburg, et al have a thriving tourism draw at this time for the skiing & the Christmas markets & the holiday atmosphere. I plan to be in Salzburg in early Jan and made my reservations three months ago. I was checking some alternate hotels recently and found other hotels fully booked. I looked into staying in Zell am See, also in Austria, and four of the hotels were also fully booked.

Having said that, I am not saying that you *must have* reservations; I'm only offering a reality check so that you will be prepared if you have some trouble finding rooms. If you do decide to use the flexible plan, please write back when you return and let us know if you had any difficulty!

Great luck!

s

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Bob

We tried to get reservations at our favorite place in Rothenburg 3 months ago for a November trip and they were booked. If you do not care where you stay, you can find a room. If you have a favorite place, better book. We have done it both ways.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:34 PM
mustangs81

II, We don't usually make reservations either. However, I am rethinking because the last two years we have gone in November and ended up going place to place looking for lodging each night. Many places were closed for the season.

We typically stay one or two nights in a castle hotel and usually without reservations. I was forwarned on this site about November so I tried for months to find a castle open in November (in Austria, Northen Italy, Bavaria. Never did find one taking guest in late November.

Also, we typically stay in zimmers. They are so abundant, but in November many were closed.

Obviously we never were without lodging, but it was challenging and when we did find a place for the night, it was more that we budgeted. A traveler with a healthier budget than ours probably wouldn't have the same problem finding something. Another issue is that we rarely stayed more than one night in the same place.

I will add one final note to my ramblings, both of our November trips were between the closing of one season and the opening of ski season.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 02:16 PM
kay

You can make 6 pm cancelable reservations at many German hotels through HRS.com--a friend from Germany says he uses them all the time. There consolidator rates are good and you could cancel if you want to stay on somewhere else.