Reload this Page >

Hotel reservation needed in Provence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2001, 11:28 AM
JC

We're going to tour the Provence and the Cote d'Azur with a rental car in late June. Should we book hotels in advance or can we find hotels when we get there? We want to be flexible, and also we want to look at the hotels before we decide to stay in them. Many thanks!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 11:41 AM
Joy

After the experience I had last Oct., I would advise everyone to make reservations. This was the first time I had found, even in Marsielle,all the hotels fully booked and I had to go to Toulon to get a room. I heard similar stories about Aix and Lyon.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 01:41 PM
Christina

I just spent about 6 weeks trying to book a single hotel for four days in Provence for the first week in July, they were all booked already in March--this was in the Luberon region, although I had troubles throughout the Vaucluse. I tried a variety of places from four-star expensive hotels with AC down to 2-star hotels or B&Bs without, and they were all booked already. I think you could find something in a standard, large, modern 2-star hotel chain like Ibis in the larger cities or perhaps a B&B that is not known that you accidentally stumble across, but from my experience, you may be lucky to find anything, let alone be picky. I'd guess the Cote d'Azur is as bad or worse, although it is more built up than the areas I was in, that's true, and there are many more hotels there. I was looking for things in small towns outside of the major cities. So, for Provence I'd say it will be difficult in smaller places (small towns and small hotels); maybe someone else can comment more directly on the Cote d'Azur tourist area hotels.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 02:09 PM
PB

I strongly advise you to make at least your first night's reservation... the hotels and b&bs here in Provence are already pretty booked up for June. If you know where you plan to stay the first night, you can look at the tourist office website - they often provide links to pictures of the hotels and b&bs in their area. <BR> <BR>PB

Old May 4th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Jen

Don't wing it! Make ressies at points along your planned trip. Hotels are VERY booked there in June. Good luck!

Old May 4th, 2001, 04:50 AM
JC

Thank you all very much -- I'll be calling right after I sigh off here. <BR>JC