Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Recommendations Florence and Venice

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Hedley

<BR>Would appreciate some advice on hotels at which to stay, and that are located near the central stations in Florence and Venice. <BR><BR>Cheers,<BR><BR>Hedley

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Colleen

In Florence, I like the Hotel Morandi alla Crocetta, and in Venice my favorite is Pensione La Calcina.<BR>IMO, Venice is a place where you DO NOT want to stay near the train station. The sites I consider most interesting are in other parts of town, and you'll spend extra time getting to and from your hotel if you stay near the Santa Lucia train station.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 05:34 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning, Hedley<BR>Have used in Venice the CARLTON EXECUTIVE, which is located across the<BR>Grand Canal from the Venice SL Station.<BR>Would be about 15 mins walk to the Rialto and another ten to the a S. Marco.<BR>In Florence, my daughter used the <BR>CORONA D'ITALIA, which is located about<BR>two full blocks east of the SM Novella<BR>train station. Yoou are very close to <BR>the Medici Chapel and 5 lmins to the<BR>Duomo. <BR>Plenty shops and ristorantes in both<BR>cases around...<BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il...<BR>Could give you some other suggestions<BR>however have not stayed at them. If you<BR>want them drop me an e mail and will<BR>respond. rjv<BR>

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Rex

Unless you specifically hae business with train station, I would rate the area around it as one of the least interesting places to stay in Venice.<BR><BR>There are a few places not TOO far from the train station in Florence, but no place is THAT distant. It would be a minor consideration in my opinion.<BR><BR>I stayed at the Giada in 2001, and it is quite near the train station, but it has little else going for it.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Jennie

Hi, for a great Florence hote:<BR>Plaza Lucchesi - overlooks the Arno River - very convenient to Uffizi, Ponte Vecchio, etc.<BR>In Venice, we stayed at the Westin Europa and Regina<BR>Both during the summer of 2000.<BR>Check out www.hotelbook.com - great rates or Golden Tulip which sometimes has specials. Stayed at the Plaza Lucchesi very reasonably.<BR>Hope this helped.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 06:34 PM
topping

to the top<BR>