Reload this Page >

hotel qualities - what do you look for?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 11:27 PM
Juliette

what are the qualities you really seek in a good hotel? I like a hotel that's frequented by locals. I wish guidebooks would provide a measure of the water pressure in the shower, too.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 11:34 PM
Marc David Miller

Why would a local frequent a hotel in his own area?

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 04:09 AM
anon

nooners<BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Karen Blixen

maybe she meant, natives.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 08:03 AM
hmmn

Juliette's assertion of wanting to stay in a hotel frequented only by certain kinds of people has a long tradition. In days of yore, as today, hotels became informally known as those frequented only by those of a certain category. Once this information became more universally known, all kinds of people considered outside the category of choice began giving said hotel their patronage. In the view of some, this development made the hotel less desirable. <BR><BR>Personally, I'm more interested in knowing if the water comes out of that spout with something approaching a stream, as opposed to an invigorating mist. In any case, this seems to better answer the original question, which relates to qualities of the hotel, not the clientele.<BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Capo

I suppose most locals don't literally "frequent" (as in "visit often or habitually") hotels in their area, but they may in a looser sense of the word (as in "to visit sometimes".) Perhaps this is what Juliette meant. <BR><BR>The main quality I look for in a hotel is -- as the classic saying about real estate goes -- location, location, location. If a hotel is a good, or even great, value, but is not in a location I'd like, I likely won't stay there.<BR><BR>Next to location, the main thing for me would be *some* kind of character, or charm. I'd rather stay in a hotel that may be a bit rough around the edges, but has character, than in one which is spotlessly clean and tidy, but has no soul. However, if the soul involves toilets & showers that don't work, or the character involves rats running around, then I'll probably pass. :~) <BR><BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Vita

1) Clean<BR>2) Safe<BR>3) Cost<BR>4) 24 hour access<BR>5) Location

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 12:24 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

1. Location<BR>2. Price<BR>3. Location

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 12:29 PM
kavey

Location<BR><BR>Comfort (not hundreds of facilities but comfort of bed, and good bathroom)<BR><BR>Appeal<BR><BR>In this vein, we have chosen the Violino D'Oro in Venice over easter. Hope it's as nice as it looks...<BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 12:58 PM
michelle

Is this like"a Chinese restaurant is good if you see a lot of Chinese people eating there"?<BR>I look for a hotel that also has a fair amount of European guests, not all American..if I wanted that, I would go to a Holiday Inn.We usually pick hotels after getting some kind of recommendation then doing a lot of research. Location, amenities, as Capo said, location..although I do want to know all about the bed and bathroom.