Reload this Page >

Hotel Porteghesi, Due Torri or Santa Chiara

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 02:50 AM
Roxanne

We have narrowed our search down to three hotels. Looking for input from past experiences.

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 03:47 AM
nancy

Roxanne,<BR>Do a text search on this site, <BR>these 3 hotels have been discussed many times, and you will find *lots* of info here.<BR>Good luck

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Paulo

You shouldn't be disapointed with any of the three. Considering location, I like the Santa Chiara better. The Portoghesi and Due Torre are close to each other, north of Piazza Navona, close to the river. The Santa Chiara is more central to the sites, just south of to the Pantheon and east of Piazza Navona.<BR>Paulo

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 12:04 PM
carol

Hi Roxanne,<BR><BR>When I was in Rome last February, I checked out all three locations, although I didn't have time to go into the hotels. Of all three, I found the Santa Chiara most attractive.

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 12:30 PM
liz

Roxanne, we stayed at Santa Chiara 2 summers ago and it was great. We were there in August so they gave us a discounted rate, we were a family of 4 and also got a big suite with a separate bedroom and a large terrace as well! They also included a pretty good breakfast all for 400.000 lire. The best part of it was that it was very central for everything. Would stay there again in a minute. You can check the hotel out at [email protected] <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Ken Slanker

Just returned from Rome. Stayed at the Portoghesi. Loved it. Small very clean rooms. Bakery, cheese store, wine store, grocery shop and coffee/pastry shop on same block. Two blocks for Piazza Navonna. Three blocks from Pantheon. 10 minutes from Trevi fountain. Across the Ponte Umberto and a 10/15 minute walk to the Vatican. If you don't stay at the Portoghesi, at least stay in the area.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Judy

Roxanne, I agree with Ken. We stayed at the Porto. in Sept. and thought it was very good! FYI. And I agree that the 3 are all excellent choices. IMHO, Judy

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Neva

I'll put in a good word for the Due Torri. I hear some of the rooms are very small, but ours was perfect. Snug hotel on a tiny backstreet, charming decor, lovely employees. As others have noted, all three of your choices are good ones.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 07:46 PM
Carol

I stayed @ the Due Torre last month. LOVED it! Went to see the Portoghesi and the Santa Chiara, as I am a travel agent and its' what I do. I would stay and recommend the Santa Chiara. Central location, nice public rooms, clean and very nice rooms (ask for the 4ht floor rooms with a terrace). I was very happy At the Due Torre, the staff was very helpful (restraunt reservations ect)and we had a great room with a terrace. All 3 are good choices.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 08:16 PM
betsy

Carol <BR> <BR>What about the Portoghesi? Please comment on that one also.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Carol

The Portoghesi is just around the corner from the Due Torre. The lobby was small, dark and the desk staff was not to excited about showing me a room. The rooms were fine, nothing special. I liked both the Due Torre (we had a cute balcony) and the Santa Chiara (the room we saw on the 4th floor also had a nice balcony).

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 11:41 AM
richardab

As the poster child for the Due Torri, I must recommend it. The rooms are cute, the bathroom is modern and they have a nice continental breakfast included in the rate. I think the staff at the Due Torri is what makes it stand out from the Portoghesi. The location of the Due Torri is also very quiet, since it is on a side street. <BR> <BR>I have pics of it on my websight which also has a lot of other info about Rome such as hotels, restaurants and travel info. Check it out! <BR> <BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/ <BR> <BR>Floow the path Enter&gt;Fly&gt;Europe&gt;Rome&gt;Sleep then look for the link to the Due Torri page. <BR> <BR>Have Fun!

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 12:53 PM
lisa

Considering Due Torri or Santa Chiara -- any rooms in particular at each to request or avoid when I contact them? Interested in a room for two with balcony or terrace.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 04:01 PM
nancy

lisa, <BR>Gambero Rosso , Rome book says that at Due Torri , "we particulary recommend room 503, and the fourth-floor rooms with balconies" <BR>On the Portoghesi it says" one suite has a terrqce. There's also a very pleasant lounge with an adjoining terrace wherre breakfast is served in the summer" <BR>Hope this helps

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 05:25 AM
marj

Liz, we have reserved a family room (4 of us also) at the Santa Chaira. Just wondering the location of your room. should i ask for any room or location in particular. did you notice where the other family rooms are (how many do they have anyway)? <BR>Thanks

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 09:54 AM
liz

Marg, Sorry I'm not sure how many family rooms Santa Chiara has or our room #, but it had a large terrace and was near the back of the hotel. Hope that helps <BR>Have fun

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 10:16 AM
marj

Thanks liz, i'll request the room be towards the back with a terrace. i think they only have a handful of these rooms anyway.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 11:13 AM
lisa

Does anyone have an e-mail address for Due Torri?

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 12:57 PM
julia

An e-mail address for Due Torri is [email protected] <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 01:31 PM
lisa

Grazie, Julia!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -