Hotel Nikko de Paris?

Oct 10th, 2000, 05:13 PM
Alma

Hotel Nikko de Paris?

Going to Paris in June. Taking 9 days in Hotel Nikko de Paris. Does anyone have any info on this hotel? Is it conveniently located and near cafes that are affordable? Please help.

Oct 10th, 2000, 09:08 PM
Prue

Alma, we stayed at the Nikko while in Paris on a Trafalgar Tour in 1998. It was a typical 'tour company' hotel. The rooms were modern and comfortable. It is reasonably close to the Eiffel Tower and the River Seine. There is a shopping centre within walking distance.
If you were to cross the river I think you would find a greater range of restaurants. All in all we enjoyed it, but when we returned last year on a different tour we stayed close to the Opera on Boulevard Montmatre and enjoyed that area much more, as everything we wanted to see or do was more accessible. The Hotel then incidentally was the Mercure Ronceray/Opera, but I would not recommend it. Hope this helps.

Oct 11th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Alma

Thanks for the quick response, Prue.
I am doing the Trafalgar 9 day Paris on your own tour. That is the hotel that I picked out of the 3 choices. I am going alone. Did you like the trip? Is it a far walk to cross the river? are there any resturants near Hotel Nikko that are reasonably priced? Was the Trafalar guide helpful? Did you meet people from the tour at the hotel? Please let me know.(you can e-mail me at above address if you'd like) Thanks

Oct 12th, 2000, 02:38 PM
Alice

Hi.. we have stayed at both the Nikko and the Frantour Suffren (different Trafalgar tours stopping in Paris). In my opinion, you will spend much more for the Nikko package than is necessary, while also being a little farther away from easy walking to main sights. The Frantour Suffren is about 2 blocks from Eiffel Tower, and just off the Seine. The Hilton is next door. The Frantour has a very nice lobby, bar and breakfast room, while the twin-bed room we stayed in was perfectly nice, with good-sized bathroom. The Nikko did have one of the largest rooms we've stayed in, and a HUGE/modern lobby. We didn't stay long enough to explore the immediate area, but it is further away from 'center'. There are numerous cafes/brasseries near the Frantour, patisseries, small groceries, and the Bir Hakeim Metro is about 2-3 blocks away. The Trafalgar rep. is on site only a few times during the visit, but you can meet others using your package when the tour rep. holds the meetings, and you also have a 1/2 day tour to Versailles. If you feel you need a little more guidance to see Paris, you could book some of the ParisVision or CityRama tours. If you hear a familiar accent while waiting in a line (Eiffel Tower, museum, etc) just strike up a conversation. The best thing is to get a good street map and walk, walk walk!

Oct 12th, 2000, 10:14 PM
Nancy

Alma, we also did the Trafalgar on your own package a few years ago, see if you can change to the Frantour suffren...less money, nice hotel, good location, metro close by...Walked by the Eiffel tower several times at night, never had to wait in line..Everything Alice said,I second. Also used paris vision and cityrama...have a great time!!

Oct 13th, 2000, 10:58 AM
Alma

Thanks ladies, I have just changed my hotel to the Frantour Suffren on your advice. The location was the deciding factor(to say nothing of the cafes, etc. in the area).
I also wanted a small refrig. in the room so I could buy afew snacks, etc.
I know I will have a great time. I don't know how I'm going to wait 8 months though!Learning a bit of French.
Thanks again.