Hotel near Wartburg Castle?

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 08:26 AM
janice

Hotel near Wartburg Castle?

I'm visiting the castle this winter, and was hoping to walk from my hotel to there - are there any hotels you can recommend that are walking distance to Wartburg Castle?
Thanks.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 02:40 PM
Ann

Janice, absolutely the ONLY place to stay for me is at the Hotel auf der Wartburg. It's on top of the hill above Eisenach, and steps away from the castle. In fact, it was a part of the castle outbuildings and is now a first-class hotel (and the only way to have parking at the top, too!). Our room was DM 290, was large, well-furnished, huge bath, fabulous view over the valley. Great restaurant...you'll never want to come down! Check their website at www.wartburghotel.de (English section, too).

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 02:37 PM
Georgine

Dear Janice,

Ann is 100% right --The Hotel auf der Wartburg is gorgeous, if within your price range.

Even the stroll up the stairways from the Hotel to the Castle can be taxing.
This castle is built on one unbelievably steep mountain!!

If the Hotel auf de Wartburg is outside your price range, I would recommend you e-mail the Eisenach tourist office, they are very prompt and thorough in responding to information requests in English. (I found them to be very helpful.)

There were several hotels at the base of the mountain, from which your could walk (if you are very ambitous and in good health);or, you can drive up Wartburger Allee to the parking lot below the castle and either walk up from there or take the shuttle (2 DM). We took the shuttle up and walked down.

The Villa Elisabeth is a mini-castle with crenallated turrets and non-smoking rooms for about 80 to 150 DM. It's at Reuterweg 1 (at the base of the Wartburg mountain.) I have the fax and phone number if you need it.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 08:11 PM
sara

Wartburg Castle sounds fabulous! Where is it?

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 06:08 AM
ja

The hotel is adjacent to the castle. Do a search on the web for their fax number. They do belong to a hotel association, but faxing direct saved us about $50US/night in '97. Beautifully decorated rooms, lovely views, wonderful restaurant.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Ann

Sara, Wartburg is above the town of Eisenach, which was just inside the east before reunification. Eisenach is Bach's birthplace, the home of the old, homely little Wartburg car, and of course, the castle, which is 900 years old and was never captured or severely damaged. It is supposed to be the most German of all German castles, the burg is said to have inspired the mad King Ludwig in his building, and is where Martin Luther began translating the Bible. You can visit Luther's austere rooms, view some fabulous Cranach the Elder paintings (including several of Luther), and if you're really lucky, take in a concert in the Ritter Hall. The town of Eisenach is still in the process of being renovated; the town square is really lovely, although it seems still a bit off the beaten tourist path - not altogether a bad thing.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 09:01 PM
sara

Thank you for the answer. I really appreciate it!