Hotel near Gare du Nord

Old May 4th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Jane

Hotel near Gare du Nord

Hello Fodorites,

My family and I (4 of us) will be making a very brief trip to Paris this summer. We will stay just one night in Paris and then take an overnight train from the Gare du Nord. Can you recommend some decent hotels located close to the Gare du Nord station? Preferably within walking distance. I realize that it is not a great area but it will be convenient for us.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old May 4th, 2002, 09:59 PM
janis

For such a short visit and especially for a family I would recommend staying in a better area. Everywhere in central Paris is easily accessible to Gare du Nord by taxi or metro. Why not pick a more memorable place for the one night in Paris.

Old May 4th, 2002, 10:37 PM
alison

I haven't stayed at this hotel but I came across it in a guidebook titled "Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris". The hotel is named Hotel Libertel Terminus Nord which is located in front of Gare du Nord. It's also shown on the website www.mercure.com under Paris hotels (Libertel Grande Tradition).

Old May 5th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Joycel

Two years ago I stayed in the Hotel Appia, about 3 blocks from Gare du Nord and 2 blocks from Gare d'Este. The hotel was very convenient: about 2 blocks from the metro and RER. Taking the RER, it is only 1 stop from central Paris, a 5-minute ride. Taking the metro, it was only a 10-minute ride, still very convenient.

The Hotel Appia was very nice. It was a 3 start hotel. My room had a/c and heating controls, and was quite large. It was also surprisingly (for Paris) very quiet.

I also liked the neighborhood. This neighborhood is where much of the movie "Amelie" was filmed. I had much more of a feeling of being in France than when I stayed in the Marais area a few years earlier (the Marais area is extremely crowded with tourists, also very noisy).

The area around Gare du Nord gets a lot of criticism in this Forum for being seedy, but I did not find this to be the case. I felt very safe there, and enjoyed the atmosphere in the streets around the hotel.

The hotel's Web site is at http://www.hotel-appia.com/

This hotel seemed very popular with traveling businessmen, so it may not be easy getting a reservation.

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Russ

The 2-star Hotel Kuntz is also situated right between the Nord and Est stations - it's on a street with almost no traffic, so it's pretty quiet. Older furnishings, but all clean and tidy. Management speaks good English and is very helpful. Very reasonably priced, too.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Jane

Thank you all for the helpful information.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Christina

I've also heard that the Terminus Nord is a good hotel and very very convenient.

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Wendy

We stayed at the Hotel Belta in Jan. It is right off the Canal St. Martin and blocks from Gare du Nord and Gare d'Est. This is a less expensive hotel with the nicest staff I've had in my 3 trips to Paris. As with most, the rooms are small but the shower was excellent.

46 rue Lucien Sampaix - 75010 Paris

http://www.parishotels-discount.com/...hotels/h11.asp