Hotel near Gare de Lyon/CDG ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am arriving at Gare de Lyon train station at 7 pm and have a flight out of Charles de Gaulle at 1:00 the next day. Where would be the most conveinient place to stay? I am a single mom traveling with 2 kids ages 11 and 13.
Also, what is the easiet way to get from Gare de Lyon to Charles de Gaulle: train or cab?
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:37 PM

Easiest and most convenient? Stay at the Sheraton CDG. It's right in the international terminal at the airport. You'll be able to sleep as late as you want in the morning (i.e., you won't have to wake up your teenagers).

Easiest itinerary? instead of coming into the Gare de Lyon, you can take the train straight to CDG and save yourself the cost of a cab -- or the hassle of taking the RER.

This is not the most inexpensive option, and if you'd like to spend a last evening in Paris, it wouldn't be your best choice... but it's the answer to our question.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM

It depends - will you have a lot of luggage to schlep around? Gare de Lyon is on one RER line (A) and the airport is on another (B). It would not be too difficult to hop on right there, if you are staying near that station, and switch to the RER B at Chatelet-Les Halles.

But I think there is also an Air France bus that runs between the airport and the Gare de Lyon:

http://europeforvisitors.com/paris/a...tion-buses.htm

Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM

The Air France shuttle would be a lot easier than the RER and slightly cheaper than a cab probably (depending on the day of the week).
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:35 PM

The Sheraton is quite expensive, and it's something of a long walk from the hotel to the terminal itself. There are any number of good hotels at CDG that offer a shuttle service to the terminals. Just search under Roissy, the name of the town for the airport.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM

I would not take the RER with luggage and 2 children. If you spend the night in Paris (which I recommend) then take the Air France bus or a shuttle. The bus (pickup at train station) is 14 Euro per person; the shuttle (pickup at your hotel) is 16 Euro per person. A cab would be just a bit more than the shuttle.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Great feedback! I'm leaning toward the Air France shuttle, we will have already spent close to 7 hours traveling from central France back to Paris when we arrive at Gare de Lyon, and I don't speak French beyond basic introductions.
I'm also considering the Sheraton as suggested (I have starwood points I could use).
How long is the walk to the international terminal from the Sheraton?
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

One more question:
Will the Air France shuttle drop me right at the Sheraton?
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM

No, the Air France shuttle drops you at Terminal 2. Gate 34 or something like that.

Last I knew, though, the Sheraton was right IN Terminal 2 at CDG, at least the Sheraton I staid at quite a few years ago was. Has that changed, Underhill? I just took the elevator down to the departure floor right from the hotel lobby.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM

If I may suggest one last option, although I understand you are leaning against it. I think there is a Mercure right by or in the Gare de Lyon train station. You could stop right there (or at a similarly nearby hotel), have a nice dinner, and maybe even sneak in a walk and a peek at the Eiffel Tower or something. Then, the next morning leave at 9 AM for the airport, allowing plenty of time. The Air France bus is a good choice in any event.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:26 PM

CDG2 is actually 6 interconnected terminals. ABCD on the west side, E and F on the east side (plus the S3 satellite used by E and F).

The Sheraton sits right on top the TGV/RER/CDGVAL train station, which separates ABCD and EF. It's a short walk to any of the CDG2 terminals.

The Air France Coach from Montparnasse and Gare de Lyon (Line 4) makes 3 stops at CDG2. First stop is Porte B1 for terminals 2A and C. Second stop is Sortie 3 between terminals 2E and F. Third stop is Porte C2 for terminals 2B and D.

To go to the Sheraton, I think it's about equidistant from any of those 3 stops. Might as well get off at the first one between 2A and C.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 05:23 AM

We stayed at the Mecure right at the Gare de Lyon...it is nothing to write home about (rooms well worn but ok) but a convenient location for the train and Air France bus.
The Air France bus stops right outside the station on the lower street level. There is a Novotel right there as well which I was not aware of. It might be a tad nicer than the Mecure.

Beware that the Air France bus can be quite busy. It comes every half hour. It's very well organized with someone at the stop making sure that it's not a free for all once the bus arrives. We almost had to wait for the next shuttle but got the last two seats. We allowed ourselves lots of time so we would have been ok for time had we missed the first shuttle. We found it very convenient and the price was right.

There are several cafes across the street from the train station to get breakfast or a bite to eat in the evening.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Hi - now I'm looking at this same question for my trip - just me and my daughter. We'll be arriving into Paris from Lyon on a Sunday in November and would like our last night to be in Paris. Do all trains from Lyon come into the Gare de Lyon (please don't say Duh! for an answer - I'm just checking ) We'll leave for CDG the next morning.

Is it safe to walk around the Gare de Lyon area at night when we get back from dinner? Is the metro stop right in the train station or is the entrance out on the street?

What other 2-3 star hotels are within walking distance of the Gare de Lyon? I checked out the Novotel and it seems nice, and 'might' be a bit more than I'd like to spend (depends on what else is out there), but more importantly, I would prefer a hotel with a more French flavor (if that's possible next to a train station!)

And getting to CDG the next day - can you buy tickets on the Air France bus in advance or at least reserve seats on a particular bus in advance?

Thanks for any additional info!
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:10 AM

kwren -
the metro station is separate from where the <<grandes lignes>> arrive but you can walk through the station to get to it - it is something of a walk, though, especially if you are wrangling bags. There is also metro access from the street without going into the gare itself - the entrance I know is on the right side of the terminal as you are facing it, on rue de Bercy.

The area right around the gare de Lyon is safe and OK, not exactly a touristy spot. There are several tourist hotels in the area, with the Mercure probably the closest.

The cafes just across he street tend to be overpriced but OK. You are also a short walk from the Bastille area (rue de Lyon leads directly between GDL and place Bastille), or a pleasant stroll over to Ile St. Louis for some killer gelato at Amorino. Look for gare de lyon on Google maps.

As for the Air France bus, as far as I know it is not possible to reserve a seat. You can pay the driver on board. Departures are every 30 minutes and transit time from GDL is about 45 minutes or so, depending on traffic, about the same as a taxi. The pick up spot is on the street in front of the GDL, Blvd Diderot. It is quite a comfortable and easy way to get to CDG and would cost 30 euro (22.5 if your daughter is under 12) versus a cab that will run closer to 50 euro. (Our recent cab from CDG to a few blocks from GDL cost 48 euro with little traffic congestion) www.cars-airfrance.com/
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Terri5,
Your eleven-year-old will pay €7 for the Air France coach. You and your fourteen-year-old will each pay €14.

kwren,
Since Paris has seven mainline train stations, your question isn't dumb at all. All trains going into Paris from Lyon arrive at Gare de Lyon. There also are some trains that go directly from Lyon to CDG.

For the record, if you take the RER to CDG, the best route avoids the maze at Chatelet-Les Halles. Take the RER D from Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord, transferring there to the RER B to CDG. The RER B line divides northeast of Paris so be sure to get on a train that is going to CDG. There are two RER stations at CDG: CDG 1 and CDG 2 TGV. The fare for each of you would be €8.40.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM

The Air France bus tickets can not be purchased in advance or reserved for a specific time. There is a person at the bus stop to make sure boarding is orderly and not a free for all when the bus arrives.

We almost had to wait for the next bus as there were more people than seats. We got the last two seats at the very back...and others had to wait for the next shuttle. They run every 30 minutes.

The Mecure is right beside the station and although has little character it is clean. Since you are staying only one night and convenience is paramount I would opt for that over ambience. The Novotel is almost as close to the station as the Mecure...just a little further but again very convenient location. I usually find Novotels a step up from Mecure.

We felt perfectly safe walking in that neighborhood at night. Right at the train station, you will see some seedy characters looking for opportunities.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM

TimS - fares have increased to 15 adult / 7.50 children 2-11 (under 2 still free)
Absolutely agree that avoiding Chatelet -Les Halles is a good idea
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Seamus,
Thanks for the fare update. Both the easycdg.com site and the English version of the Air France site still list the old fares. The French version of the AF site has the fares you gave. I expect that's where you got them, right?
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM

TimS - actually I got it from the English version on the AF site at www.cars-airfrance.com I clicked on Practical tips - Journey times - Line 4 to get there.

If you are seeing the old fares maybe it is a cached version on your machine? With the page displayed click the refresh button and it should update.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Tim - Great info. It would be so easy to arrive at the Gare de Lyon, stay nearby and take the bus or RER the next day. The best part...an extra evening in Paris!

The bus sounds easy, but I'm also tempted by the RER, which I have done before. One thing which would hold me back from taking the RER is wondering if we would run into a lot of stairs. I can manage my suitcase, but that would be difficult for my daughter. Any info on That? Also, how much time would I need to allow from the Gare de Lyon to CDG by RER?

I probably won't consider a taxi for this time since the options above are so convenient.

Does United have its own terminal at CDG? I just ticketed my flight - using Frequent Flyer Miles! (yea! the trip is real!!!) but my email confirmation does not list the terminal for the departure. Are terminals decided closer to the date or will United always be at the same one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -