Search

Hotel Navona

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Navona

The Hotel Navona in the Piazza Navona of Rome has been reccommended. Has anyone stayed there? Does anyone know anything about it? It is priced at 140 Euros per night for a double. I welcome other reccomendations for hotels in this area under 200 Euros( double).
thanks
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:18 AM

I stayed there in 1999 and I believe it's been renovated since. My stay was fine once I got in there (service was a bit indifferent), but I wouldn't stay there again. Here's why: I made a reservation for six nights (I think it was six) about two months in advance. I had a fax confirmation. I confirmed a week before I arrived in Italy, all was fine. I called again about a week and a half later, the day before I was coming to Rome (from Venice) to let them know what time I was arriving (in the late afternoon). Again, all fine.

I show up the next afternoon. "I'm sorry, we don't have a reservation for you." Huh??!! I produce fax confirmation and explain I had called the day before and that everything was fine. Discussion ensues with the man at the desk. (An older man, wish I remembered his name for reference.) Discussion ends with him taking a pencil and ERASING somebody else's name off the reservation book (which was all in pencil) and putting mine in. No doubt mine had been erased earlier that day. So some poor other person showed up to find their name gone.

Perhaps they've adopted more professional reservation practices since then, but it doesn't matter because I'm not staying there again. Last time I stayed at the Casa di Santa Brigida (convent hotel) and liked it very much. My thought was: nuns wouldn't shaft me on a reservation. ;-)
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:13 AM

There is no hotel in the Piazza Navona.

If you look at the hotel's Web site

http://www.hotelnavona.com/

you will see that it says it's a few minutes walk from Piazza Navona.

You might look at the Hotel dei Portoghesi; it's also only a few steps from the Piazza Navona and on a much more quiet street than the Hotel Navona.

http://www.hotelportoghesiroma.com/
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Another Piazza Novana area hotel that gets great reviews here is the Residenza Canali - it's well within your budget.

http://www.residenzacanali.com/
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM

I have Residenza Canali reserved for this July. at 259E for a quad, is that worth it or should I go with Hotel Ara Pacis for 160E (across the river)??
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM

I stayed at Hotel Navona in 2003. It is a great location. To get to Piazza Navona you only have to walk about 1 minute and cross one street.

The hotel itself is in a very old building (of course) which appears as if it used to be a bunch of apartments that the hotel bought and made into a hotel. In fact, there are apartments right next to the hotel rooms that Romans live in. The rooms have been recently remodeled and are very nice and clean. The bathrooms are small, but have a real shower and heated towel racks. These are the pros for this hotel.

The cons: there is no elevator if this is an issue for you. The rooms are on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors. It about killed my poor mother who has knee problems. Also, the breakfast then (maybe it has changed since) was absolutely horrible. We were served coffee (only beverage available, no water, no juice, nothing else) and a stale popover which was completely hollow inside. I think there was some jam also. That is it. To put it quite bluntly, breakfast stunk.

The guy at the desk was polite, but not very friendly. He was very willing to help with bus schedules when I asked how to get to the catacombs though.

Overall, our stay at Hotel Navona was a positive experience, but it is not perfect. For the price though, I would recommend it.