Reload this Page >

Hotel Muguet - good choice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 02:32 PM
joan

Just got back from our trip to Normandy and Paris. Thanks to the good feedback from this site, we decided to stay at Hotel Muguet and found it to be perfect for our family. The neighborhood was quiet, the location was good(close to Eiffel Tower), rooms were air conditioned, e-mail and internet access in the lobby and a laundromat down the street. I would definitely stay there again. Price was right too - 560 francs for a double. Hard to believe it has only a 2 star rating!!

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 04:06 PM
Peggy

Joan, <BR>I am planning a trip for my family and another family (kids college age)to Normandy and Paris next June. Any tips on itinerary? I was looking at the Latin Quarter for hotels- thought the kids would enjoy it. Would appreciate any advice you can give! Thanks!

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 04:12 PM
Maira

Cool! I have recommended Muguet since I stayed there back in 1998. Good to hear you agree. Do they still have the cute poodle that was always playing in the lobby?

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 07:45 PM
betsy

We stayed at the Muguet in July after reading the recommendations on this board. We liked it too and will definitely stay there again. We had a view of the upper third of the Eiffel Tower from our 5th floor room. <BR> <BR>Maira, there were two poodles in the lobby and a tortoise in the courtyard.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 03:38 AM
Maira

How French....hilarious!! Thanks for the update, Betsy!!

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 05:54 AM
Joan

Saw the 2 poodles and a bird in the courtyard but not the tortoise. <BR>Peggy - I responded on your posting. I think for kids your age the Latin Quarter would be a good location - a lot more going on then where we stayed. <BR>Don't know how long your trip will be but we had two weeks and that was enough time to see all the major sights.Honfleur in Normandy is well worth a stop but was very busy. For our size group we couldn't get a hotel so I think you will have to make sure that you book ahead. From the Caen area you can stay in one place and take day trips to see most of the sights. (Bayeax tapestry, Omaha beaches, Mont St. Michel) Then we hit Honfleur nd Rouen on the way to Paris.(try not to hit Rouen on Sunday - most shops were closed)Spent 4 days in Paris. It is a wonderful city. Good luck with your plans.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 06:03 AM
Tom Lozar

The turtle's name is Madame Framboise (Framboise=raspberry) and she eats lettuce and cantaloupe and such. We stayed at the Muguet this summer, had a room on the ground floor (#3) next to the turtle and we found it lovely. A bargain even at Canadian dollar exchange. Do not miss the Rue Cler in the neighbourhood. Eat at the Bistrot de Marius right on the corner, try the "petite friture" (sperling, fried)if you can. Do not, repeat do not, eat at the Bistrot de Breteuil (though it is recommended in guidebooks) where we should have known we were in trouble when we were kept waiting for our table while the posse of maitre d's got their battle plans in order. Our starters were served to the next table and then when the team was alerted to the problem, the waiter that made a mistake laughed and another waiter switched plates. The food was tasteless, the frites were soggy and greasy-spoon quality. Considering that as Quebeckers we both speak French, I can just imagine the lousy service people who don't speak French get. It has, in short, become a tourist trap. Apart from that, Paris was a joy. Have a drink at the bar of the Meurice, nicer much than the Ritz. Tom