Reload this Page >

Hotel Mora in Madrid

Search

Hotel Mora in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 03:08 PM
Sonia

Hotel Mora in Madrid

Is anyone familiar with the following: <BR> <BR>Mora Hotel <BR>Hostel Lopez <BR>Tryp Ambassador <BR> <BR>Know where I could find pics?

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 03:21 PM
Helen

I was researching Madrid hotels for my mom last week, and found quite a few references to the Mora & Tryp Ambassador here on the forum. Don't remember seeing any websites listed, but then again I wasn't looking for any. Just use the search function on the top of the page - use the hotel names as keywords, or try "madrid hotels." <BR>

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 04:23 PM
Maira

Tryp Ambassador is quite popular and you can see pics at http://www.hotelcity.com/spain/trypambassador.htm. <BR> <BR>Hotel Mora is my personal favorite; loved the staff, location and the price!! I have never seen pics on the web; the closest info is actually at a Fodor's recommended hotels listing. The following provides Mora's phone & address http://www.hotelsearch.com/cgi-bin/h...enpag?6133&1&1. <BR> <BR>Hostal Lopez is highly recommended at the following site (I believe there is even a picture) http://www.madridman.com/. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 02:42 PM
Sonia

Thanks for the help. Yes, I did read about the Mora in Fodor's and from the description (and price) it's my first choice. We're planning to go in November. <BR> <BR>Maira, you replied to say that you'd stayed there - can you tell me more? <BR> <BR>I would appreciate any other suggestions or advice as well. (And would be glad to return the favor when I get back!) <BR> <BR>Thanks, Sonia <BR> <BR>P.S. - Went to San Francisco recently and have some great recommendations for that city. Happy to share if anyone needs ideas. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 04:19 PM
Maira

Sonia--- I stayed at the Mora this last May and would definitely return. For the price, this hotel has to be one the best hotel bargains in Madrid. Across the street from the Botanical Gardens and Museo del Prado, the location is prime. We walked everywhere, although Plaza Mayor was about a 15 minutes walk. The best rooms are on the 4th floor towards the back. There is a cafeteria adjacent to the hotel (connected by glass door) that is open very early to serve breakfast; delicious coffee, fresh pastries, Spanish omelette, etc. Good prices. The hotel rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff was courteous and the lobby was welcoming and quaint. There is a parking garage down the street, Planet Hollywood about 5 minutes walk (in case you get homesick!). <BR> <BR>I am sure that you probably already heard about the unusual eating hours of the Spaniards. Be also aware that the Madrilenos are night people who love good food and better conversation. Reservations at a good restaurant, no matter what day of the week, are a good idea.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 07:40 PM
lisa

Sonia, <BR>I also am quite interested in the Mora. They don't take reservations way in advance. I faxed them (we're going in October) and they said to fax them again in August!! <BR>Lisa

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 01:55 AM
Sonia

I called them - they said to wait until September for a November reservation. However, if I submit a written request, they will send a brochure. Which is good because I have no idea what it looks like. <BR> <BR>Is it a historical building, are the rooms large or small? <BR> <BR>Maira, you mentioned that the best rooms are on the 4th floor at the back. What do those overlook? <BR> <BR>Thanks everyone for all your help.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 03:37 AM
Maira

Hi Sonia!-- the reason I considered those better rooms is because they are larger and opposite to Paseo del Prado. The week we visited Madrid they were celebrating the Festivities of San Isidro (around May 13th) and there was a big celebration EVERY night; concerts at Plaza Mayor, Fireworks, people singing on the streets (wonderful!). Since we did had to sleep (sometimes!), a room away from the noise on the streets was a welcome relief. <BR> <BR>If you going are in the Spring or Fall, a room facing Paseo could be a good idea as the Botanical Gardens are across the street. <BR> <BR>About the advance reservations, they told me the same thing. Make a mark in your calendar and DO NOT miss to call, even days ahead of time. Also ask them to fax you a confirmation. They will do that. I also call a day or two prior to arrival to confirm my arrival day and time. <BR> <BR>The building is painted white in the front and is next to the Ministery of Finance or some type of government building. There is a small "Mom & Pop" resturant on the back street called "Las Cuatro Fuentes". Excellent food. Best homemade bread pudding I ever had.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 06:17 PM
George

All the comments I've heard about the <BR>Hotel Mora have convinced me to book it <BR>for five days in June when my wife and I <BR>will be stopping in Madrid on our way <BR>to Bologna. This forum has been a great <BR>help to me in my quest to find the right place to stay. It's very refreshing to read positive opinions about a place when criticism seems to be the preferred <BR>way to offer judgements. Ciao. <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 09:59 AM
Linda

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to Madrid & Barcelona in early June with my son. Maira, does the Hotel Mora have private bathrooms? If I may ask, how much was their "best room"? <BR>I'm deciding on 3 hotels in Barcelona. If anyone has any info on them I'd appreciate it. Hotel Suizo, Oriente and the Gran Via. <BR>Thank you <BR>Linda <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 10:48 AM
Helen

Another question about the Mora - I wonder if I remember correctly or if I'm confusing this with anothr hotel - is there someone to help with the luggage? (As I mentioned above, it's my mom doing the traveling, and a place where she couldn't get assistance with the big bag might not be the best option for her.)

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 03:30 AM
Maira

George, good choice. Remember to call early, have them fax you a confirmation, and remember the name of the person you talk to. These are routine precautions I always take and highly recommend. The Botanical Gardens should be glorius in June. <BR> <BR>Linda, all rooms have private bathrooms. I couldn't tell you what the price for their best room is.... <BR> <BR>Helen, I do not recall seeing specific personnel to assist with luggage.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Joan

I just made a reservation at the Mora for late June/early July. Faxed them, and they answered very promptly. Double room w/ac is a little over $50/night (8,875 pesetas), and I'm reassured now that I've read all of these good comments. They don't have an e-mail address though. So I may Fax them again to ask for a room on the 4th floor at the back.

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 12:48 PM
carla

Unfortunately I could not find a room in Hotel Mora so I got Hostal Cervantes which is nearby. Is recommended in Frommers but I wonder if anyone has heard of it elsewhere, or even better stayed there! It has fan but no A/C and I wonder how hot it gets in Madrid in late May. ALso, on another subject, a rental car company told me that SPanish cops fine foreign drivers if they do not have an "international driver's license" is this true? Thanks for any responses!

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Maira

I found pictures of Hostal Lopez at the following site http://www76.pair.com/navarro/location.html. <BR> <BR>My first post suggested sites w/pics for the Tryp....

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 07:01 PM
DAVE

Enjoyed reading about Hotel Mora. Wondering if it would be a good choice for active seniors (just barely)?

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 07:38 AM
Linda

Dear Dave, <BR> <BR>After reading the favorable posts on the Hotel Mora I stayed there this past June & was very surprised at how low the price was for the location and the hotel itself. Nothing fancy but very decent with helpful staff and again, a fabulous location. I really recommend staying here, however, be careful of the female gypsies on the Paseo de Prado (main street). Saw quite a few incidents and they really seem to prey on "older tourists". Price was approximatley USD$50 per night for double room with balcony facing the Paseo de Prado. <BR>Linda

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 02:58 PM
Maira

To the top for Sue who is looking for lodging around $50/double in centric Madrid.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Neva

This is the first of what will soon be a flurry of Spain-related posts from moi, so gird thy loins... I've heard many, many good things about the Mora on Fodors and other boards. But I've also heard a few minuses. Is it indeed closer to the hectic Atocha station neighborhood than the leafy Prado area? Is it a longer trot to the Prado than it seems? Here's my situation: I've been to Madrid before and had a fabulous time with the wee hours nightlife. This time, however, I'm traveling with my tiny (4'10") 81-year-old Lithuanian mama, who's had a stroke but is still mobile with the help of a cane. Hence I'm in a very sheltering mode. Ideally, she'll go for a snug, charming and friendly hotel over a posh one; but as her knight in shining armor, I'll err on the posh side to make sure she feels safe and conveniently located (her will is strong, but her body is weak). Our two main attractins in Madrid are the Palace and the Prado, so I'd like to be close to one and taxi to the other unless mama is feeling robust enough to walk (no metro for us, alas). Judging from our trip to Italy last year, we'll be spending most evenings in our hotel room, so it needs to be kinda, as she'd say, gemutlich -- and, as much as possible in Madrid, fairly quiet. The other hotel I'm considering is the Tryp Ambassador because of its proximity to the Palace. Opinions? Suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 04:23 AM
Maira

Neva--- the Hotel Mora is about a 10 minute walk to the Atocha station and across the street from the Botanical Gardens, where I saw many elderly citizens strolling around on a Sunday. We walked late back one day from a day trip and the area around Atocha was a bit "edgy". Don't recommend that area at night. <BR> <BR>Paseo del Prado is a huge avenue and while you can see El Prado from the hotel, there are specific areas to cross, which forces you into walking a bit more. The Royal Palace is a good walk, doable, but about 15-20 minutes. There aren't a lot of restaurants in the inmediate vicinity, although there is an excellent small restaurant (breakfast; late lunch) next door to the Mora. My final opinion?, given your circumstances, stay near the Palace and Plaza Mayor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -