Reload this Page >

Hotel Luxembourg - Paris; Help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2000, 07:56 PM
Dave

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Luxembourg on rue de Vaugirard? Any comments regarding the hotel or the area (corner of Vaugirard and rue de Medicis across from the garden) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old May 8th, 2000, 08:17 AM
don

I have no personal experience with this hotel, but I know the area and it is wonderful. You are right in front of the Luxembourg Gardens ( it doesn't get better than that),and in between the St. Germain area and the Latin Quarter, and not far from Montparnasse either.

Old May 9th, 2000, 08:33 PM
Shirley

I agree with Don; the area around the Luxembourg Gardens is very special. We have stayed at the Jardins de Luxembourg which is very close and highly recommend the area. Lots of restaurants and very convenient.

Old May 10th, 2000, 04:45 AM
elaine

DaveYou might be able to find comments from past guests at <BR>www.hotelboulevard.com <BR>The area is indeed wonderful

Old May 11th, 2000, 04:54 PM
Austin

<BR>As usual with this forum no one <BR>who answered your post answered <BR>your post <BR>I stayed at this hotel recently <BR>and it stinks The manager/owner <BR>is a nut case

Old May 14th, 2000, 03:15 PM
Rick

Austin, <BR> <BR>Can you elaborate on your comment? We have reservations there in 3 weeks. Nut case? How? Why? What happened? Just the management or were the accommodations also awful? Please reply....

Old May 15th, 2000, 03:40 AM
Denise

I too am staying here, in September. Nut case? Fruit loop. Ant short of the picnic, brick short of a load. What do you mean? Denise

Old May 15th, 2000, 12:37 PM
Austin

<BR>Denise and Rick: <BR> <BR>The Luxembourg was recently taken over by TOP hotels so I am certain the management has changed since TOP is a large chain. The hotel itself is average 5th ***. <BR> <BR>Ill be in the 5th in a few weeks also. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old May 15th, 2000, 04:02 PM
liz

stayed at this hotle 15 yrs ago. It was tiny, quaint and amusing. There is a tiny little elevator that barely fits 3 average size people and a continiental breakfast in the basement which I found charming-but hey a lot can change in 15 yrs!It is definitely not the Ritz,Hilton etc-just a quaint french hotel with tiny rooms.Dont remember the manager-no comment there.

Old May 20th, 2000, 10:11 AM
Dave

Thanks everyone for your help. Austin; would you expand on your comment that the hotel "stinks"? You somewhat addressed the management issue with your second posting but it would be helpful to know about room size, quality, location, etc. Thanks.

Old May 20th, 2000, 12:21 PM
Austin

<BR>Dave: <BR> <BR>Liz, despite 15 years abscence, described the hotel pretty well <BR>I dont want to get too graphic but the small elevator she mentioned has carpeting on the walls and it has absorbed the odors of the unwashed masses over the years <BR>Now maybe this has been fixed since TOP took over==but frankly it literally stunk <BR>I cant go into why the hyperkinetic whacko who owned the place was nuts--but Im sure hes not there anymore <BR>I dont think you will suffer there but Im also sure you can do better in that area The hotel is no bargain for what you get--or dont get <BR> <BR>The rest is up to you==good luck!

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 12:11 PM
Deborah

To bring this thread back up..We ended up staying here in June. I posted my comments in a reply to another horror story under "Beware-Hotel Luxembourg" To recap, in case you can't find the thread: Arrived after a long, awful flight(thank you Delta!). Had made a reservation through the hotel for shuttle pick up at CDG. When I called I was told that the hotel had reserved for the wrong day and that there were no shuttles available to pick us up! <BR> <BR>This led to an expensive and horrendous taxi ride. When we arrived at the Luxembourg the taxi driver demanded more money than what had been agreed upon. We asked the desk clerk to intercede as it was the hotels fault that we to take a taxi! She did and gave him a few francs (which we had to repay!) and he went away. <BR> <BR>She then told us that they did not have a room for us that night! We would have to go a long block away to another hotel that she assured us was comparable to the Luxembourg. She told us that the were repairing from the storm damage(in January!). Mind you, this reservation had been made over 2 months before our arrival and reconfirmed 2x before leaving. <BR> <BR>So after 20 hours of flights and delays we had to drag our luggage up the street. No offer to transport it. We arrived at the other hotel. The desk people were very nice but the room was so tiny, dark, no a/c and a little dirty. But we were so glad at that point to just be someplace where we could shower and lay down. But before we could do that our phone rang.. <BR> <BR>It was the lobby telling us that a taxi driver was downstairs wanting more money! We asked them to please contact the Luxembourg and not to bother us again. The phone rang 5 minutes later. This time they said that we must come down because he would not go away! My husband went downstairs and threw 40 ff at him and told him to go away and not come back! <BR> <BR>When we arrived at the Luxembourg the next day we were directed to our room. There was absolutely no evidence any repairs/renovations to the room. Since our stay I have read a number of feedbacks on this hotel that mentioned the same thing happening! Some said that despite lon standing, confirmed reservations they were turned away completely without another hotel offered as an option! And all said that in checking with other guests, there were no repairs being carried out durung that time. We did not observe any during our stay. <BR> <BR>The room was small (it's Paris!) reasonably clean with no a/c. It over looked a courtyard. Nothing special or particularly charming. The breakfasts were nice in a small room downstairs. The desk help was pleasant but not very helpful. Especially the fellow who worked at night. <BR> <BR>In all, we would not return to this hotel. Too many other hotels that are much more charming with nice service at the same price or less. Location is good but not outstanding. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of staying there in the future.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 10:15 AM
Yvette

We never got to stay there because the hotel would not honor our confirmed reservation. When we arrived from Italy, we were told that there were "repairs" scheduled and that we had been booked into a "comparable" hotel in the area. They booked us into a hotel on a busy street near the Montparnasse railway station, geared more to business travelers than tourists. We went back to the Hotel Luxembourg later in the week to check on the status of the repairs and checked with guests staying there during that period. THERE WAS NO REPAIR WORK BEING DONE AT ALL. They flat-out lied to us. <BR> <BR>I'd stay away from there - I know I wouldn't deal with them ever again.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 12:09 PM
Deborah

To the top.....