Hotel Le Regent Paris

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Le Regent Paris

Hello Fodorites,

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Le Regent in Paris?

a)What is your opinion of the hotel?
b) What is your opinion of the location?
c) Is the better hotel in the 6th district that you would recommend in terms of quality, price and location?

I'm traveling to Paris in November and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:18 AM

We've stayed at Le Regent several times, and have always enjoyed our stay. The location is great, very central to other sights, and we enjoy the lively atmosphere in the evening. But of course, most hotels in the 6th also have great locations.

The lobby area is rather small, which doesn't bother us, as we don't use it. The front desk staff has always been helpful. The last time we visited, however, I asked Le Regent to make some dinner reservations for me, and they kind of messed that all up - if they didn't want to make them, or didn't have time to do so, I wish they would have said so.

We always stay in their small rooms; they're not too small for us (we're small people, with not a huge amount of luggage), and the lower room price means more money to spend on food!

There is an elevator, but it's up a short flight of stairs, so if stairs are a problem, consider that. We always use the stairs to get our room anyway.

Another comment about our last visit. There were a lot of Americans there (maybe Fodorites, but I hope not), and one night a group of them rather took over the tiny lobby, eating ice cream, dripping it on the floor, and not even attempting to clean it up. I thought that was rude.

Le Regent has been discussed quite a bit here; do a search for more info.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Regarding the hotel's location it's one of the nicest to me. It's right next to rue de Buci and handy to the Blvd. St. Germain and the other surrounding streets which have nice art galleries, boutiques, and restaurants/cafes. I don't know about the hotel itself as I haven't stayed there, but I did step inside to pick up a brochure a couple of years ago. The staff are very friendly and the lobby is small which is typical. From what I have read from comments posted here (you can do a 'search' above for the hotel) and at Trip Advisor it's a good 3* with typical small rooms except if you book a superior category room which has more space. However, the rates seem a bit high to me but then again it's the location that's the reason. Sometimes they have low season discounts so perhaps you may qualify for one.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Okay, thanks. I'm now debating between Victoria Hotel and Le Regent which is essentially the same price if you get a superior room at Le Regent.

I haven't seen to many posts on Victoria Hotel.

Any thoughts on comparing these two hotels?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:03 PM

I strongly suggest you read the reviews of the Victoria on TripAdvisor:

http://tinyurl.com/e6l6o

Either the place is bad or there are a lot of people who simply want to put them out of business!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Oops, my apologies. I meant the Victoria Palace hotel, not the Victoria hotel.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM

We stayed at Le Regent in May, we had stayed in the 6th last year and found the location to be great for us. It's was centerally located for us, with a lot going on, and the rooms are quiet.

Le Regent's rooms are tiny, be prepared for that (although the bathroom was of a decent size).

We returned to Paris earlier this month, and had wanted to stay in the 6th again, however hoped for something just a little bit bigger. We stayed at Hotel Dauphine St. Germain (www.dauphine-paris-hotel.com) The room was a little bigger, the decor a little nicer.

I would pick HDSG next time over LR, although I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Le Regent again.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:23 PM

If you are looking to choose between the Victoria Palace and Le Regent, I would choose Le Regent for the location. Victoria Palace gets better reviews and it's a large hotel, but I do not like the location personally. It's closer to Montparnasse than to St. Germain although it's location is in the 6th district.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:32 PM

We spent 4 nights at Le Regent w/in the last 2 weeks, and I would heartily recommend it, echoing what everyone else said about it. The rooms are not large, but the bathrooms are laid out nicely; the location is great, and the front desk were very helpful and accommodating.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:05 PM

To add to the other comments, I have also stayed at Le Regent, last summer. I love the location,I booked a small room as I was on my own. Very nicely decorated, big bathroom, was very quiet, and I found the staff really helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, in fact have a friend staying there at the moment.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Great info all, thanks!

Before I book Le Regent, I'd like to inquire about one more hotel - Saint Paul in the Latin Quarter.

It's been mentioned in other posts as a pretty good hotel. However, on tripadvisor it received mixed reviews. It seems to be in a good location and is cheaper than Le Regent.

Anyone experience Saint Paul? Thoughts?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Saint Paul is in the 6th like the Le Regent, but it is on the border of the 5th. Therefore, it's located mostly in the Latin Quarter near to the Luxembourg Gardens and not in the St. Germain area like the Le Regent is. While I like the Latin Quarter I much prefer St. Germain better. And between the two hotels I like the way Le Regent looks more than the St. Paul.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

We decided to save some money by going with Hotel Saint Paul in the Latin Quarter. They are offering a promotion, stay 4 nights and get the 4th night free. Ended up paying 126 Euro per night for a Double Superior Room.