Search

Hotel key

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Linda

Hotel key

Is it mandatory to turn one's hotel key in at the front desk before going out for the day? If so, why is this the custom? Thank you.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Leslie

I think it might vary by hotel. The keycard pass type key is relatively new, and really found in newer establishments, as the code to the room is changed as each guest changes.<BR><BR>However, during my last 2 vacations, it was not required in Prague in Budapest. However, the key to the hotel in Prague was on such a heavy chain, I chose to give it to the desk clerk each day, as I didn't want to lug it around with me. In Budapest, I didn't have an option and had to take the keys. Actually, there were 3 of them -- one for the front door, as the door was locked in the evening because there wasn't a desk clerk, and 2 for my room. I would have preferred to leave the key with the desk clerk if I could have. However, in both hotels, I had a safe in the room, with a separate key.<BR><BR>Now that I think about it, on my prior two trips to Europe -- Switzerland and Austria, and Paris, Amsterdam and London, I was only asked to return the key to the desk clerk each day in Paris. And in Amsterdam, I stayed in a newer hotel that used the keycard pass, which I actually had a hard time with. The scanning mechanism appeared to be off-kilter, but it might have been me.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Rex

I like to think of it as good manners more than mandatory, and it defintely dates back to older hotels (houses) before electronic key cards.<BR><BR>Think of it as the proprietor's house, and the key is the only copy he has. What if he neds to get in there to fix something while you are away? Or to clean the room for you? What are you going to do with it while you are away?<BR><BR>And what if you lose it?<BR><BR>It just makes good sense. and it's one of those old "really european" things I just love.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Graziella

In small hotels, specially boutique hotels to return the key to the front desk represents good service, number one means that the front desk knows who you are, also means that the maid knows when you are out not to bother you to do the room or the turndown service ( forget about signs which can be left by mistake or not taken away by mistake),...I agree depends on the hotel but in Europe in small hotels I think it is costumary.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:48 AM
up

up, to the front desk<BR>