Search

Hotel in Sete

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Sete

Does anyone have any suggestions of hotels in Sete? I am not sure if I would like to stay by the canal or by the beach. I would be interested to pay less than 70 euros and have considered L'Orque Bleue and also Hotel les Mouettes. I will be travelling alone and by train.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, do you think it is worthwhile to spend two nights (1.5 days) in Sete? I plan to probably stayin Toulouse two days/one night (I arrive early the first day), then go to Sete at the end of the second day and stay two nights/1.5 days. Then off to Nimes for one day before I go to Avignon, near where I will be taking a French course.

Merci en avance pour votre reponses!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM

My French colleague is from Sete, the birth place of George Brassens. She is on holiday this week but I can ask her and post the response next week if it's not too late for you.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Oh, that would be great! Not too late, I'm going in in early June.

There seem to be quiet a few hotels in Sete, however not alot of reviews or suggestions in other forums, e.g., TripAdvisor, and I will definitely appreciate an insiders suggestion.

Thank you.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:55 AM

Michelin Red Guide lists legrandhotelsete.com and http://www.residence-port-marine-set...page_en_1.html

You might check them out further...enjoy......
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 02:33 PM

I spent an afternoon in Sete in late Spring last year. Not a heck of a lot going on at that time of year. But maybe it'll be a bit more exciting in June. I think your time would be FAR better spent in Toulouse. Or Nimes. In fact, I would probably skip Sete altogether if I could spend more time in either Nimes or Toulouse. Do you have a special connection with Sete or something that draws you there?
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Sète is one of the, or maybe the only, last real fishing villages on the Med coast of France. And it shows. It's a rough-and-tumble hard-scrabble place with very little gloss applied for the tourist industry. I hope you're not expecting some charming seaside village, because Sète is not that.

We've stayed at both the Grand Hotel, which is the nicest place in town (still, not terribly expensive) right on the quai, and the Hôtel des Sables d'Or in the new part of town in the hills above the beach. Both were fine. If it's beach you're going there for, I'd stay near the beach. The nightlife scene along the quais gets pretty rowdy and noisy in the summertime.

It does have some of the only sand beaches on the Med, and for that reason we used to trek down there from the Dordogne for a few days every summer. Well, for that and the seafood.

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning. I have read conflicting accounts of Sete, either charming or as you have described it, a rough-and-tumble place. I think I'll probably try it for a one-day/one night visit as I would like to stop at the Med on my way from Toulouse to Nimes, if only to have a short beach walk. Unless you have others suggestions of nice places on the coast which would be easily accessible by train from Toulouse? I have been to Collioure.

Merci
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 01:22 AM

Hi, I got to speak to my colleague from Sète. Unfortunately she does not know Hotel L'Orgue Bleu not les Mouettes. She does kown Grand Hotel 3* that's in the city center right on the quay so sort of far from the beach. At a quick look, their cheapest room (room with shower)seems €79 in summer June to SEP so that's not too above your budget.

According to her, Sète is one of the largest holiday places on Mediterranean coast (perhaps she meant only in France) but it's more oriented to apartment type stays for weeks for beach holidays. Perhaps, 1 night there may not be too bad for a beach experience for you?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 01:25 AM

Oops, L'OrQue BleuE.