Hotel in Paris

Sep 9th, 2001, 12:32 AM
Sophie Johnson

Hotel in Paris

We are going on a very special trip to Paris (from Sydney) at the end of December. I have done a lot of searching for hotels and many are already booked up, we have rooms available at;
Hotel le Regent
Grand Hotel des Balcons
Hotel Sainte Beuve
Could anyone recommend any of these? Any particular rooms you would recommend? Any other hotels I should try? We like the idea of staying on the left bank and close to the river and our budget is about 800ff per night.
Thank you

Sep 9th, 2001, 09:07 AM
mariacallas

LAst time I was in Paris, I looked at Hotel Des Grand Balcones - I don't get it. I just don't understand why anyone would want to stay there. I thought it was awful, just awful. Can't recommend it at all. I looked at many hotels in that area - took one day- looked in the rooms. I ended up at Hotel Millesime and loved it - I negotiated for a lower rate and got it. I also liked the looks of Hotel les Marronniers. If you pay 850ff you can find rooms at HOtel de Fleurie, Hotel Bonaparte, and probably Hotel des Deux Continents. I did not check those out - but maybe someone here can help you. I liked Hotel Des Cannettes for 82 bucks a night. IT says here - La Perle is 950 for a single room - that's on Rue Des Cannetes - one of my favorite streets. It is in the exact heart of the 6th - it's the pulse.

I have found it is better to pay a little more for the area and for safety-even if you compromise on the size of the room. Taxis are expensive and walking makes you tired.

Sep 9th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Peg

While I can't agree with Mariacallas that the Balcons is awful, I thought the rooms reminded me of my dorm room years ago. The common area are very nice and the people were very helpful when I asked to look around. I stayed at Hotel Bonaparte near Saint Sulpice and I loved the hotel and the location. For two people it is 650-780 FrF, depending on the type of room you request, and this included breakfast. E-mail me for phone and fax #'s if interested. They have no website. Peg

Sep 9th, 2001, 09:29 AM
mariacallas

This just in - Hotel Des Marroniers - I can't tell if this says 680-955ff for a room. Might need to ask them more questions. My sister stayed there a few months ago and raved about it. It is very very pretty.

Sep 9th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Maira

Did you tried the Hotel Muguet on the 7th Arrond? Their email is [email protected]. They typically answer their e-mail promptly. Check them out at http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007muguet.htm

I also enjoyed staying at Hotel Cristophe in the Latin Quarter. I usually like to try staying at a different place than previous, but in Paris, I think I'm staying at the Muguet again next time.

Sep 10th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Sophie J

Anyone stayed at the at Hotel le Regent?
Is Grand Hotel des Balcons in a unsafe area?

Sep 10th, 2001, 04:32 AM
Liz

Grand Hotel des Balcons is in a terrific area, that's probable the best thing about it. Rooms ARE simple, but we found it perfectly fine.

Sep 18th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Carol

Dear Sophie, I have had great reports on the Hotel Verneuil in the 7th arr very close to Rue Jacob. Maybe some on this site has had first hand experience. Have fun.

Sep 18th, 2001, 06:58 AM
s.fowler

Hotel Verneuil is a small, chic hotel between St. Germain and the Seine. I had seen it written up in T&L, so I dropped by their lobby for a brochure etc... They were very nice. At the time we were at Hotel Bersoly's [just a block closer to the Seine], which is a little less pricey. Here's some pictures of our room and view from 1999: http://www.geocities.com/travelswithus/dec/hotel.htm

Sep 18th, 2001, 07:10 AM
sandy

I recommend the Hotel de L'Arcade. http://www.hotel-arcade.com/
Since this is a "very special trip" you might consider booking a duplex room, which has a separate sitting area on another level. The location of the hotel couldn't be better and the people there are very kind and helpful.

Sep 18th, 2001, 04:04 PM
Lucy

Hi Sophie, I'm from Sydney too & am off to France this Sunday! I will be staying at the Grand Hotel des Balcons for 9 nights in early October so will give a thorough review here when I return. Have you taken a look at their web site? www.balcons.com I'm not expecting anything flash & as long as its safe, clean & in a great area, which it apparently is, I'll be happy! I'm not sure if the search facility is working currently but try a search for 'Balcons' as there have been many posts about it in the past which have been very positive.
Cheers!

Sep 18th, 2001, 04:38 PM
geo

Three of the aformentioned hotels, deux Continents, Marroniers, and Millisime are in the same block on rue jacob- a great location. Two blocks from metro St Germaine around the corner is rue de buci, street market, walking distance to Louvre, Notre Dame, etc. We stayed at Millisime for two weeks last fall, an excellent 3* value-bon chance

Sep 18th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Sophie

Thank you for the replies. Lucy I would love your feedback. As this is my first trip with my boyfriend I am also looking for something a little special.
Sandy, we would like to be on the Left bank close to cafes.
Anyone been to the le Regent on rue Dauphine???

Sep 18th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Carmen

Hey - this is a message for Lucy and anyone else in similar position - I am leaving for Paris from Sydney on October 5th - are you afraid of the flight at all? I love travelling and am not normally too bad with flights, but after the New York fiasco I am decidedly more jittery than I used to be.

Carmen

Sep 18th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Sue

We stayed at Balcons last May; it wasn't awful, but I thought it was rather removed from cafes, restos, etc. The personnel was gracious (and there was an ice machine on the ground floor! a real bonus in a heat wave). Rooms were small--the bed was so close to the French windows and the balcony that the windows couldn't be fully open. And it is rather far from the river. I still haven't found the "perfect" hotel in Paris, but I keep looking.

Sep 19th, 2001, 06:06 AM
lisa

Sophie: Grand Hotel des Balcons is a good 2-star in a great location, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something under 600 FF per night, but on your budget you can afford better -- for 800 FF you should be able to find a nice 3-star. Especially since you're travelling with your boyfriend and looking for something "special," I would not suggest Grand Hotel des Balcons even though I like it very much. Rooms are basic and, while comfortable, are not "special" or particularly charming in decor. Staff is helpful though.

I must disagree with Sue, however, who found it "removed" from cafes and restaurants -- on the contrary, several of the most well-known cafes in Paris are within a few minutes walk from the hotel, and there is an abundance of very good restaurants within a few blocks, in addition to great shopping.

Lots of people recommend Hotel de Fleurie as a nice 3-star in the 6th. Not sure if it's under 800/night though.

Sep 24th, 2001, 01:51 AM
Sophie Johnson

Dear Lucy,
Thank you for your help. I have tried hotel fleurie but they are fully booked already . I did't realize that Balcons was a 2 star. I agree that for that monet I would prefer a three star. Still trying to fing out about the hotel Le Regent
Thank you

Sep 24th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Josef lavon

Why bother with names? Get a RED Michelin Guide: Hotel not listed is not fit for human habitat. restaurant
not listed is just for not dieing of starvation. By the way: 800ff is a fair price. I get along at 550 to 700, and my wife is happy.