Reload this Page >

Hotel in Dordogne

Search

Hotel in Dordogne

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Rich

Hotel in Dordogne

Has anyone stayed in the Manoir d'Hautegente? <BR>We are trying to decide between that hotel and Le Vieux Logis. Any recommendations?

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 05:50 PM
StCirq

I would recommend the Manoir Hautegente over the Vieux Logis. The Vieux Logis is a classy place, but it is SO stuffy and boring and in a town that really has nothing to offer besides a tourist office, a hair salon, a chintzy café, and the manoir, which is pretty but very hush-hush stuffy (lots of elderly Scots patrons with little dogs), plus there is virtually nothing to do or see in Trémolat. The restaurant is WAY overpriced for the region, too. It was featured in Gourmet Magazine some years back and, as a result, increased the prices about three-fold. The place doesn't deserve it - there are SO many wonderful places to stay in the Dordogne that are much more central than this and so much more reasonably priced.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 02:02 AM
wendy

St. Cirq, <BR> <BR>What do you think of (is it)Les Centennaire? Across from the Natural History Museum Les-Eyzies...

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 02:04 AM
wendy

oops, I meant across from the museum IN Les Eyzies. We had a lovely tea there, but I wondered if you know if a stay there is considered stuffy like the one you mentioned above?

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 05:25 AM
StCirq

Le Centenaire is widely recognized as the plushest, and most expensive, hotel in the Dordogne, a region where there is little glitz. Its chef is renowned throughout the region. The hotel is not stuffy, just elegant. Les Eyzies is a pretty boring town, though, unless you're a paleontologist. It's got little of the charm that is so prevalent in the region, though it makes an excellent base for touring. If I had an unlimited budget, I might opt to stay at the Centenaire because of its central location and the fame of its chef, but on the other hand, there are so many castles and beautiful inns to stay in in the Dordogne for considerably less money, I think I'd weigh the choices carefully. One of the nicest things about the Dordogne is the plethora of very reasonable hotels and restaurants.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 05:52 AM
wendy

Thank you for such a detailed helpful answer! Working in culinary projects, the chef nailed this deal shut! Thank you!