Search

7 day trip to Nice and around

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2013, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 day trip to Nice and around

Hi
We are planning a 7day trip to nice and surrounding region. We would like to see Provence. Should we go for italian rivera? we will be using public transport. Appreciate help in planning and any suggested itinearies would be welcome.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 06:22 AM

Not to sure how far away "surrounding region" is, but Provence (Avignon, Gordes, Pont du Gard, etc) is really too far away to do as a day-trip from Nice. Trains to Avignon center take 3 1/4 to 5 hrs each way (with 1 to 2 train/bus changes). That's around 8 hrs on a train/bus - which won't leave you much time for "being there". Slightly less time for Aix. Small Provence villages/Pont as a day-trip from Nice is not really possible.

Plenty to do around Nice for 7 days. Just as many "cute little villages" around Nice (especially inland) as there are in Provence. However, using public transportation to get there will be more time consuming that it would be if you had a car.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 06:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Seven days for Nice and srrounding towns and villages in the hills doesn't allow for western Provence or Italian Riviera. There is more than enough in Nice and nearby to fill seven days. We spent two weeks in Nice last year and see all we wanted.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 06:34 AM

I think there is plenty to do around Nice using public transportation and at times a car could be a headache - finding a parking space, paying quite a bit for hotel parking etc. Anyways there are frequent and cheap (1E) local buses that travel all thru the area and are often scenic drives to boot. My favorite day trip is Villa Euphrisi, second place probably goes to Antibes. Then there are some hill town you can easily get to as well - plenty to do for seven days.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 06:38 AM

If the weather is glorious it can be a lot of fun to slip over the border and have a wonderful Italian meal on the Italian Riviera, and also to experience the cultural difference.

Although Ventimiglia has a couple of legendary high quality restaurants, Bordighera is probably the most popular town for a scenic jaunt into Italy for lunch. It has a wide seaside promenade, plenty of restaurants and an interesting history. (Monet painted there, and it was the site of the original "Cannes" film festival, until fascism forced the festival to flee.)

If you much prefer urban zazz and fantastic food markets, San Remo is an historic, complicated and colorful ziggeraut that rises up from the sea, which still has something of the atmosphere of a louche old seaport, and also one of Italy's most authtenic, untouristy, open air markets, whose highlight is the covered food market at its core

http://lynngilmartin.com/2012/10/16/sanremo/

If you would rather spend the day in truly a spectacular hilltown (look up pictures), it is possible to get off the train in Ventimiglia and take a bus up to Apricale, for lunch and hiking and even visiting other towns, but you need to study the transport connections.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTo...a_Liguria.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...a_Liguria.html
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 06:47 AM

PS: I was typing while other people above me were typing, so I didn't see there remarks until after I had posted mine. But I urge you not to believe there "no time" for you to visit Italy. It is a very short train ride into Italy, you won't break a sweat, and it is up to you how you spend your time in that area. Many, many people happily visit Italy while staying in Nice. They love it for its colors, its flavors, its people. (Many French people in that area go to Italy regularly for fun.) You are not obliged to complete some travel check list of "must sees" just because you go to Nice. A lot of the "cute" villages near Nice are tourist traps, so beware of that.

I hope you have a lovely time in France, and there is no need for you to go to Italy, but many people would dispute there is "plenty to do" that is of personal interest to them, and even if there is, so what? It is so simple to go to Italy, just go if your curious. When you come back and do a trip report, don't mention it. It can be your secret delight.

Anyway, because your post is tagged "France, Monaco" you will get a lot of responses who are biased in favor of France and Monaco. Try putting up way that attracts people who love Italy!
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I think we will drop Provence. Please suggest nice little villages to visit around nice n good (but not pricey)places to eat.
I will check the Villa Euphrisi,any pointers are welcome. What all can we cover in Antebes in a day trip?
One more thingh are their any public ferries or any other public water transport to St Tropez?
We would like to visit Antebes,St Tropez and ST-PAUL-DE-VENCE. Should we see these places in two, day trips?
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

tahks Stevewith
I am checking up details of Ventimiglia. will keep you posted.
How long will it take to reach Ventimiglia by train from nice?
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:23 AM

The train ride from Nice to Ventimiglia takes a bit under an hour. Bordighera and San Remo are not that much further. Buses up to Apricale from Ventimiglia probably take 30 minutes or less.

Since you asked about French villages near Nice, I will propose Vence, which is the next town above St Paul de Vence, and I think is one of the least touristy of the antique towns within easy reach of Nice. St Paul de Vence below it is much tinier and more touristic. If you are keenly interested in early 20th c. French art, it is a thrill to eat lunch on the terrace (or even inside) of the historic La Colombe d'Or in St Paul de Vence, which still displays the fabulous art collection it amassed during the years when now well known French artists ate in the restaurant and paid their restaurant tabs with paintings or sculpture. It is an outstanding collection. The food is, alas, only so-so, and you'll pay more for what it is than you would elsewhere. But for art lovers, it is a memorable destination.

Again, if you are keenly interested in art, you can visit the Maeght Foundation (art museum) in St Paul de Vence as part of the same day, and perhaps even squeeze in a visit to the Matisse Chapel in Vence, although it is not always open to visitors.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:35 AM

skut

Do you have my 27 page Provence & Cote d'Azur itinerary? My wife & I have vacationed along the Cote d'Azur for 16 weeks and in Provence for 18. The itinerary describes our favorite markets, villages, scenic drives, sites, etc. It also has a section on Provence fabric. I've sent it to well over 3,000 people on Fodors. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach one to the reply e-mail.

There are dozens & dozens of "cute little villages" that are non-touristy in the Nice Hinterland.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:39 AM

'What all' do you want to cover in Antibes in a day? Presumably you have read some guidebooks or websites on Antibes and decided you want to visit. So what is it that you are interested in there?

Antibes, St. Tropez and St. Paul DV would require 3 separate day trips. The day trip to St. Tropez would allow the least time to see/do anything.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:39 AM

I would suggest you either check out from your local library or purchase Rick Steves Provence and the French Riviera, it will give you details and logistics for planning your time and your daytrips. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 09:03 AM

Skut:
No doubts you will enjoy Villa Ephrussii, half an hour from central Nice, 1 € bus ticket inpublic bus. Great place to visit and to have a wonderful and not expensive lunch based in tartes and salads, which are really good.
Nice is a great place with good and inexpensive public tranport.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 09:07 AM

We took the train from Nice last September for a trip to Bordighera for lunch. It was past season, bit still lovely. We also spent a bit of time in Ventimiglia waiting for the train to Bordighera . We walked out to a park and the sea and through the marketplace. Both were lovely. You take French train to Ventimiglia and them switch to Italian train. We stopped in Monte Carlo for a couple of hours on the way back, which was more than enough.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ugh-france.cfm
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 09:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Our favorite day trips were Cap Ferat with Villa Ephrussi and St-Jean le Port, and Antibes.
Of course you can venture into Italy's border, but there is more than enough in France to keep your days busy.
We drove from Nice into Italy for another three weeks, returning the rental car to Nice at the end. A friend had suggested this and it way less expensive than renting a car in Italy.