Reload this Page >

Hotel in Amsterdam?

Search

Hotel in Amsterdam?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 1998, 06:31 AM
Lee

Hotel in Amsterdam?

Hello, everyone! My wife and I are toying with the idea of taking off to Amsterdam (we live in Erie, PA) sometime the first or second week of May. There is a great introductory air fare that we could take advantage of, but the stumbling block seems to be the hotel. We'd like something in the city so it would be easy to get around, but $200.00 per night for the Hilton is way too high. Do any of my fellow travelers know of a nice hotel, maybe with an airport shuttle service, that won't break the budget? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old Apr 24th, 1998, 03:02 PM
lizz

Lee: Had the pleasure of visiting Amsterdam in March and can recommend two small hotels, both located in a terrific neighborhood in the city, or Centrum (I think), and overlooking a canal (Keizersgracht). They are: Canal House (a Fodor pick) and Hotel Toren. Rates in March were 255 & 260 Gilders, respectively - and we had a canal front room at Toren! Nice rooms, good breakfasts and friendly, helpful staff. Anne Frankhuis is a short walk (around the corner), and the Rijk & surrounding musuems are a 15-20 minute walk. As for transportation from the airport, the train ($3-4 US) is an easy 15-20 minute ride from the airport to Central Station, and a cab from the station to either hotel was approx. $10 US. A cab from the hotel to the airport cost us about $30-35 (w/ tip). If you'd like further details, feel free to e-mail. Lastly, we never exchanged cash, but used ATM the entire trip. Have fun!

Old Apr 24th, 1998, 05:25 PM
Ilisa

I want to echo the last post. My husband and I stayed at Hotel Toren three years ago and loved it. The staff was very friendly, the view of the canal was beautiful, and it was in a perfect location. We were in walking distance of everything. I think we paid around $122 per night. I highly recommend it.

Old Apr 25th, 1998, 05:25 AM
Kristin Lucas

I have followed the advice in a rival travel guide and booked 5 nights in Amsterdam at the Hotel P.C. Hooft near the museums. Haven't been there yet. It is clearly a budget hotel, but on a very good shopping street. Only 120 guilders (about $60) a night. I don't know what your tastes are. We prefer to spend very little time in the hotel room anyway so why pay the big bucks? E-mail me if you want phone numbers.

Old Apr 25th, 1998, 08:04 AM
Lee

I just wanted to thank you all for your responses. It sounds like it's not only relatively easy, but not expensive, either. We are certainly leaning towards the trip, now that we have some good info. We need to check out a few things and go from there. Lee

Old Apr 27th, 1998, 05:09 PM
Bill Fleites

I stayed at the Canal Crown Hotel in Amsterdam at the end of last month, loved my stay there, and would highly recommend it. The room was large with a large bed, and a new modern bathroom. The hotel was extremely clean, and the buffet breakfast was great. The hotel is at Herengracht 519-525, Tel: +31(20)42-00-05-5. right next to the canal and no more than 10 minutes from the train station by foot. You can make an on-line reservation with them at www.expedia.com.

Old Apr 27th, 1998, 06:45 PM
Sharon

Sounds like you have received some good suggestions! We were in Amsterdam last year and stayed in the area around the University at the Tulip Inn not to be mistaken for the the Golden Tulip-same chain). THe hotel is very conveniently located-near restaurants, bookstore etc the "cable cars" are one block away and the KLM airport bus stops directly in front of the hotel. It is easy to go anywhere in Amsterdam and no place is far time wise! The hotel is relatively new-quite clean, modern bathrooms, very nicely furnished rooms & a great breakfast buffet. THere is nite time security and the staff were extremely nice We spent one night in a double which was small, but were in a king bed the rest of the week & the room was huge with all conveniences! I would stay there again! THe hotel is on Spuuistraat and call the hotel directly to guarantee a rrom. The cost was about $115 a night. Also-be sure to eat at the Pancake Bakery near the Anne Frankhuis-it is quite an experience! We loved our visit-there is so much to see and do! Email me if you have any other questions! Have a great trip! Sharon

Old Apr 27th, 1998, 06:47 PM
Sharon

Sounds like you have received some good suggestions! We were in Amsterdam last year and stayed in the area around the University at the Tulip Inn not to be mistaken for the the Golden Tulip-same chain). THe hotel is very conveniently located-near restaurants, bookstore etc the "cable cars" are one block away and the KLM airport bus stops directly in front of the hotel. It is easy to go anywhere in Amsterdam and no place is far time wise! The hotel is relatively new-quite clean, modern bathrooms, very nicely furnished rooms & a great breakfast buffet. THere is nite time security and the staff were extremely nice We spent one night in a double which was small, but were in a king bed the rest of the week & the room was huge with all conveniences! I would stay there again! THe hotel is on Spuuistraat and call the hotel directly to guarantee a rrom. The cost was about $115 a night. Also-be sure to eat at the Pancake Bakery near the Anne Frankhuis-it is quite an experience! We loved our visit-there is so much to see and do! Email me if you have any other questions! Have a great trip! Sharon