Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Imperiale Palace in Santa Margherita Ligure?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:40 AM
marta

Any comments on this hotel? Is is worth the high rates? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Marta

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:55 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

It is very nice. I feel the Hotel Continental is better value.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:13 PM
marta

Bob, <BR> <BR>Thanks. The Continental is fully booked, as every hotel in SML the weekend of September 22nd. The imperial Palace seems the only place to have available rooms.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 06:46 AM
marta

TOPPING

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 07:00 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I assume you have contacted the Laurin or the Hotel Jolanda. I will be at the latter in Oct. for 2 nites. If you want some sleepers, try the Cenobio dei Dogi in Camogli or the Villa Balbi in Sestri Levante---both are wonderful.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 09:07 AM
Susan

Si, the Villa Balbi in Sestri Levante!

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 09:46 AM
CC

Just got back from 2 weeks in Italy and must say that Santa Margherita Ligure was the LOW point of the trip. I know others enjoy it; we did not. In fact, left earlier than expected. Extremely crowded, extremely hot, extremely loud and noisy, difficult to get around, etc. If we were to do it again, we would spend an extra day in Tuscany (Hotel Gemini or Il Colombie, both just outside Casole d'Elsa) or just outside Lucca (fabulous 300 year-old private home running a small B&B operation, called Il Pino). But SML...never!

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:46 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

CC, Do not judge any resort town if you choose to go in August. Try May or Oct. and you will like SML.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 12:06 PM
Betsy

Hi Bob <BR> <BR>I'm having trouble booking anything in CT for the nights of 4, 5, 6 October. Do you know of any two-star sleepers? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help!

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 05:11 PM
Betsy

TTT, in hopes for a response from Bob.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Betsy

TTT. Yoo-hoo, Bob?

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 07:08 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sorry Betsy, I was sleeping ! <BR>Define CT for me--I have only been there 3 times and am not sure what people mean when they use that term. I will be back there in Oct. and hope to gain some closure. Anyhow ! <BR> <BR>In Monterosso: Hotel Baia, Hotel Steno <BR>In Levanto: Stella d' Italia <BR>In Portovenere: Hotel Paradiso, Hotel Belvedere[ actually 3 stars] <BR> <BR>I do not know the back-packer havens in Vernazza or Manarola. That is not my forte, and these villages are filled with students during the season.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 07:18 AM
Dayle

We stayed in SML 3 mights, hiked the Cinque Terre, and lunched in Portofino - LOVED it all - but that was in May - it was already warm & humid enough by then.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:00 AM
marta

I have called every hotel mentioned in this forum (even Camogli) and everything is booked. My travel agent is now offering the Park Hotel Suisse, but what I see in the web does not seem very appealing. Has anyone been there?. I'm afraid I'll have to settle with the Imperiale Palace and their high rates!

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Betsy

When are you going, Marta? I'm trying to find a B&B or afitta camare for the night of 4, 5, 6 October. So far, no luck.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 12:16 PM
marta

I'm arriving in SML on September 22, after spending two days in Portovenere, my base for the 5terre tour. I think that I cannot get a room because I'm staying only one day,which happens to be a Saturday. <BR> <BR>How naive I was, I decided to go to Italy in September so as to avoid reservations. I'm glad I checked "just in case". I would've had a very bad time if I I hadn't

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 12:40 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Well Betsy, If you can change your schedule a bit I do have a room in SML for 8&9 Oct. and Portovenere for 10&11. <BR>I asked Susan if I could share and she said it was OK for Fodorites.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Betsy

Why Bob! <BR> <BR>How lovely of you and Susan to share with Mark and me Actually, we'd love to but I'm afraid we are unable to change our itinerary to match your dates. <BR> <BR>I've faxed and/or e-mailed the following, with no vacancies (and sometimes no reply, even with two faxes): The CT Tourist Info Center (they query several hotels for availability), Ca' D'Andrean, Marina Piccola, Albergo Barbara, Trattoria Gianni and Villa Margherita. <BR> <BR>I started booking the accommodations for our October trip in March and was able to book everything we wanted in Tuscany, Umbria, Florence, Rome and Venice (we're staying five weeks). I couldn't decide where to stay in CT and finally narrowed down my choices to Manarola or Vernazza, never thinking that availability would be so limited in October! <BR> <BR>I just finished using the Trenitalia site to note the towns along the coast where the trains stop and then I went to the www.logis.it site to try to find a place to stay in the towns along the route. <BR> <BR>I'll definitely try your suggestions in the post above. Haven't tried the Jolanda yet, so wish me luck on that one. We're trying to limit lodging in the CT to two-stars, saving our splurges for other locales. <BR> <BR>By the way, I define CT as the five towns of Monterosso al Mare, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore. <BR> <BR>As usual, I appreciate your wise guidance. Have a great trip and post the story of your adventure when you return.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Betsy

Oh by the way, the following is a quote from one of the logis.it hotel web sites: "If you want to be fondled, you have chosen the right place, because we have all you need. <BR>We and our staff work to make your stay more pleasant as to be expected." Love it! <BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Betsy

An update for Bob <BR> <BR>Yea! The Jolanda has room for us! We'll be there the 4th, 5th and 6th of October. Sorry to be missing you and Susan. Now, if you can change your itinerary to arrive a few days sooner, we wouldn't need to share a room, but maybe we could share a glass or two of vino. <BR> <BR>Any special recommendations for restaurants and not-to-be-missed experiences in the area? <BR> <BR>Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Jolanda! <BR> <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -