Hotel help--Loire valley

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Julie

Hotel help--Loire valley

Would like to hear personal experience of anyone who has stayed at any of these hotels in the Loire: <BR>Jean Bardet<BR>Hautes Roches<BR>Chateau des Sept Tours<BR><BR>Thanks for your help. Planning Fall trip. Want to try some new places.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Rex

I once canceled at Jean Bardet, three weeks in advance (telephoning them directly) - - and felt like the conversation was an ice dagger straight through the heart. They did not charge me a penalty, but they were VERY offended.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Julie

Ah, ha! Perhaps they are the stuffy ones.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:54 PM

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Julie

I'm particularly interested in the Hautes Roches. Supposed to be built into an old troglodyte cave. Anyone been there?

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 05:15 PM
John H

Hi, Julie,<BR><BR>I did not stay at Hautes Roches, but did stop by to have a look. (We had done a 1 hour small boat tour on the Loire River and stopped there on the way back to Amboise). Unfortunately we did not get to see a room, but the bar and reception area looked very nice. And, I believe it's a Relais et Chateaux property, so you probably can't go wrong. Make sure you ask for a room in the hillside/cliff (as I believe they had rooms that were not in the cliff as well).<BR><BR>The hotel is off a two-lane road that separates it from the Loire River. The only negative is that you probably have to drive everywhere (e.g., restaurants, shops). (We stayed at Le Manoir les Minimes in Amboise, which was only a 5-10 minute walk into Amboise -- we really appreciated that kind of access and convenience. Le Choiseul is another property within walking distance of Amboise city center).<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR><BR>John H.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Diane

I had reservations to stay at Jean Bardet last September. My husband and I decided to postpone our trip after the terrorist attacks, and we ended up cancelling our reservations with just one week's notice. The folks at Jean Bardet were very gracious and sent us a lovely letter expressing their sadness over the events of 9/11.