Hotel for 1 night in Zurich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our plans for the 2-weeks Switzerland vacation are pretty set, thought there are still a lot of details to be decided. We’ll land and fly out of Zurich, with 4 nights in Engadine (probably Celerina, though the hotel is not booked yet), 3 nights in Lugano (Hotel Dante) and 6 nights in Wengen (Hotel Park-Beausite).

This leaves us with the last night in Zurich – the flights are not booked yet, hoping for the prices to go down – we’re going in late July, so there’s still time. Anyway, the flight out of Zurich will most likely be early in the morning, so we’re looking for a hotel that will allow easy access (train or taxi) to the airport. We will only have a late afternoon in Zurich (in the morning, we’ll train from Wengen, not sure how long the train ride is). But in that afternoon, we will want to walk and see some of the town, and also have a nice dinner. Any hotel recommendation for us? We would like to keep it in the 200-250 euro range. Thanks
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM

I like the Seidenhof. It is located just off the Bahnhofstrasse. There are lots of options for dining, and you also are an easy stroll from the old town and wonderful shopping. The price should be in the 300-330 Swiss francs range, so less than you are budgeting.

The Seidenhof also has (not free?) shuttles to the airport; but the bahnhof is also not very far, if you are able to travel light.

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Wengen to Zurich is a journey of 3 hours or a bit less if you go via Bern. The route via Luzern takes an hour longer.

We like Hotel Adler in the Altstadt area, the pedestrian-only area of narrow streets and alleyways.

http://www.hotel-adler.ch

It is not as close to the train station as the Seidenhof, but we walked it in about 10 minutes with our bags. It is a nice walk from there along the river and to the lake.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM

I stayed at the Alder and liked the location. The room was nice and very clean and the staff was nice and helpful.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 08:56 AM
ira

Hi X,

We will be staying at http://www.st-josef.ch/ in May.

It has good reviews here and on TA.

About 10 min from Bahnhof.

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Simpsonc,
There are a few reviews of Seidenhof on TripAdvisor complaining of the noise – what was your experience? What time of the year were you there? Was your room in the front or the back of the hotel? I am a light sleeper, so even if this is for 1 night only, the noise level is important.

Enzian,
I like the idea of a pedestrian-only area – and Hotel Adler gets very good reviews on TA, so will definitely look into it. Ten minutes walk is not bad at all, our bags have wheels, so not a problem. Also, thanks for the info on the train trip.

Ira,
St-Josef sounds great, too – and a nicer price than Adler Thanks. Please post a report when you come back. Where else are you going in Switzerland?
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 12:17 PM
ira

Hi X,

Adler was our second choice.

We will be a couple of days in Switzerland: Zurich, Lucerne and, maybe, Stein am Rhein.

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 12:21 PM

I have stayed at the St. Josef three times. I'm sure you will like it, Ira.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:45 AM

We stayed at the Adler - very nice location and great rooms. I would definitely recommend bringing earplugs, though, in case you get the street noise we did almost all night long. Still, for just one night, I did like it a lot.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 06:19 PM

We've flown out of Zurich twice and stayed out last night there. We got our room both times on priceline for less than $100 a night for a 4*. The Intercontinental the first time then the Marriott.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Budman,
That sounds great – the problem is I never used Priceline before, and I have no idea how to do it. But after all we’re spending in Switzerland, a decent room price would be fantastic. I guess I need to start with biddingfortravel, right?
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM

If you've never bid on Priceline, read and thoroughly understand these FAQ's.

http://p070.ezboard.com/Hotel-FAQ/fp...opicID=2.topic

Looks like the Marriott is going for about $83. With fees/taxes, should be about $100 or less. There are no "free bids" for Zurich, but you can bid every 24 hours. I would start the bid at $83 then raise a couple of $$ the next day if your bid is rejected. Good Luck.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Budman,
Thanks for the link and the tip. $100 for Marriott sounds like a good deal, I'll give it a try. And will probably have more questions....
Thanks again
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
With just one night I would choose the St. Josef over the Marriott because it is closer to the pedestrian areas and the old town and just in a bit more charming location. If you search it here on Fodors, I wrote a bit about it for Ira as did some other people. I've not stayed there, but stopped by to "check it out" and it seemed a good deal for a clean, well-located hotel.

The Adler is right in the "young" part of the old town and a bit of a late night party area. IMHO, there are prettier spots across the river for strolling the old town than near the Adler. St. Josef is a few blocks away and should be quiet but still within walking distance to everything. All are easy access to the airport and to the trams. Take the train not a taxi to the airport in the morning - easy, no traffic and cheaper. We have spent a lot of time at the Hotel Opera which is nicely located and a very comfortable hotel, but I can't tell you the price off-hand as it was paid by the company during our relocation.

The person who mentioned the 300-350 sfr hotel did not do the conversion for current USD. It will be over your budget at about 270 or above USD. Switzerland is expensive and worse with the declining dollar. The good news is that most accommodations will be clean and hospitable even if not deluxe.

Your trip sounds really wonderful. We are heading to the Engadine next week for the first time. My Swiss neighbors have been badgering us to go there since we moved here. Celerina is supposedly beautiful as is Pontresina where we'll stay. Our neighbors were married in Pontresina and spend 2 weeks there every January. We'll join them there next week for skiing, sleigh rides, and snow shoeing. (And they promise the food is wonderful.)

While in Lugano, be sure to go to Ascona, and if you have time hike up the mountain there on the path just beyond the town - it's really a special place with gorgeous views and sunsets. Schuler told me about this walk and it was everything she promised.

Have a great trip.

gruezi
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Gruezi,
I think you’re right – with only 1 night, I think location is more important than saving $100 (ok, $200). So if the priority is location, pedestrian area, quiet (not next to a bar or disco that’s open all-night long), you suggest St.Joseph – is that right?
Hotel Opera might be in our price range, too – is that in the pedestrian area?
Where will you stay in Pontresina? We have not booked yet the Celerina hotel, though I’m leaning towards the Chesa Rosatsch. Also, thanks for the Lugano suggestion.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 08:37 AM

If you would like a place on the "quiet" side of the river, still in a cobblestone-street area, (and you can pay a bit more than originally stated) try Hotel Kindli:

http://www.kindli.ch/

But if Ira and Gruezi both recommend St. Josef, that would cinch it for me.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 01:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Dear xyz,

Yes, the St. Josef (a 3-star) would be a good location at a reasonable price and if you search here under Ira and St. Josef you will find a full report on it - I can't imagine it is $200 more than the Marriott though, if I understood you correctly!! If so, stick with the Marriott and have a nice dinner out.

The St. Josef is a couple blocks from old town - not right in the footzone as the Adler is. I don't know the Kindli but I would check out their website too as it sounds like the location might be better than the others here.

The Hotel Opera (small 4-star) is probably pricier than St. Josef but I can't compare its cost with the Marriott or Kindli. It is a little more upscale than the St. Josef and in a more central but still quiet location and still a small hotel. It does not have the charming terrace that the St. Josef has but it is located in the Bellevue neighborhood right next to the Opera house which puts you in quick walking distance of the lake, Banhofstrasse, the old town, Seefeld etc. In July, walking along the lake is wonderful and this location would be quite nice for lake access. The concierge there is excellent and will help you with restaurants and directions. They have a very nice but expensive breakfast...you can pick up a coffee and croissant much cheaper on the go if you don't need eggs - or try a nice pretzel for a change. There is a restaurant "tibits" just around the corner which is self-serve and open all day and evening. Everything from coffee to buffet dining. For a great salad stop, or carbo breakfast stop in at Globus am Bellevue another typical Zurich-style self-service where you can linger as long as you like over your coffee or meal and see typical Zurich in action. For a nice leisurely, waitress-served, more expensive meal that is American-friendly (english on the menu and english-speaking waiters) you can go to Terrasse which is just beyond Bellevue on the River Limmat. Also close to old-town and Bahnhofstrasse. You can nurse a coffee there for a few hours in the bar if you need a rest and don't want a meal. There are a number of lakeside restaurants for summer dining in nice weather - Frascati comes to mind...

My friends have stayed at the Rosatsch in Pontresina and we looked into it for part of our stay next week but it is fully booked as it seems all of Pontresina is. It has a recently renovated 3-star area and a "residence" (not sure what that means) that is 4-star. If I pass by it next week I'll stop in for a look but I've heard it is clean and well-run and family-operated. I have heard Celerina and Samedan (sp?) are also lovely. We were advised against St. Moritz...just not our interests...

We are staying at the Hotel Walther in Pontresina which is also family-run but more expensive as it is a 4-star and requires week-long bookings as do many hotels there (at least in winter some even require 2 weeks! - probably not required in July). When my husband comes along (he's not available that often) we tend to go to a 4-star as we like more space and comfort for that kind of family bonding trip...I think in summer, I would pick a smaller, less-expensive hotel as we'd be outdoors a lot more. In winter it is dark at 4 and evening life revolves around the jacuzzi, dining etc. We leave tomorrow and I should be packing not fodoring!!

One thing I have found in Switzerland is that although rooms may be small, and I find the food a little bland (just MHO and I've heard great food in the Engadine!!), the lodgings always are very clean and professionally run. It is not necessary to stay or eat in the most expensive place to have a pleasant experience.

Hope this helps and I'll let you know about our time in Pontresina...

gruezi
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 03:20 AM
ira

Hi X,

>..I think location is more important than saving $100 ...

The St. Josef is about $170/nite dbl w/bkfst buffet.

Hi E,

>.. if Ira and Gruezi both recommend St. Josef, that would cinch it for me.

We haven't been there yet. I'll report back in June.

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 08:30 AM

I will also be in Zurich June 17 and 18. Enjoyed the comments about the St. Josef Hotel so I contacted them. The double WITH bath was 250 CHF but the double WITHOUT bath was only 140 CHF. They said that 5 rooms share 2 baths. Does anyone have experience staying in the bathless double?? I am VERY tempted as it is a savings of 110 per night. The hotel sounds very good.
Thanks - and apologies for "tagging" onto this site.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 08:42 AM

I have stayed at St. Josef Hotel many times. If a room without shower and toilet is available, I always take it. There are two bathrooms to share. I never see anyone there. The bathrooms are spotless and very modern. The entire hotel is spotless and modern. You will not be disappointed. You should reserve soon as these rooms go fast. Great breakfast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -