Hotel Fire in Paris

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 06:13 AM
JR

Hotel Fire in Paris

NPR just reported a hotel fire in Paris. Arson is in question. Any more information on there on this?

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 06:20 AM
a--z

Looking at news report from cnn.com and they advise:

" ... that four people were killed and 18 injured at a Paris hotel near the Louvre museum. The fire at the Hotel du Palais on Place du Chatelet, near the Seine River, was started in a rubbish bin at the bottom of the six-floor hotel's stairwell.

Arson is suspected. The 36-year-old man was behaving strangely and was drunk, police said. He was seen going in and out of popular one-star tourist hotel. "

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 06:26 AM
mia

Just read about it on BBC news online, so sad, two young women,23 years old, died. They are pretty sure it is arson, what a shame.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Sue

This is terrible news.

Too often, we haven't taken proper time to locate fire exits on check-in at a hotel. This tragedy reminds me that we can't afford to do that, if we are to have any hope at all of escaping a similar situation.

I am truly sorry for the families of the victims.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 11:36 AM
xxxxx

People scoff at me when I look for fire exits as I check into a hotel room. But in Europe there doesn't seem to be many fire restrictive laws on the old buildings. I have always thought alot of them look like tinder boxes, with inadequate exits. But no one else seems to notice.........

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 12:22 PM
JOdy

I agree with XXX, check for fire exits! We even moved out of 1 hotel in London , there was 1 dead end hall and 2 series of fire doors to get thru to reach the fire exit. Great except if the fire was between the exit and dead end! I know I'm not paranoid about this I just want a way out I can get to!

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 02:15 PM
xxxxx

Hey, JOdy, was it the Green Park? I noticed a similar "escape" route when I stayed there. But my room was on the 2nd floor so I could have jumped out.
I still think of the MGM fire in Las Vegas, and people not being able to exit the stairwells.