Search

Hotel closest to airport in Athens

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel closest to airport in Athens

Hi all-
My husband and I are looking for a hotel that is super close to the airport in Athens. We are coming in from santorini late in the evening and flying out the next morning so we don't want to spend a lot of time in transit. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:53 AM

The Airport Sofitel is right there at the airport, a short walk to the Arrival Hall.

http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fiche...he_hotel.shtml
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:57 PM

pricey but your only option.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:15 AM

I spent a night there last year under similar circumstances, and highly recommend the Sofitel. You can cut costs by making a non-refundable booking on this website: http://www.sofitel.com/hotel-cms/gb/accueil/index.shtml
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:24 AM

There is also a Holiday Inn that is about 5-8min from the airport with a taxi. I think it's cheaper than Sofitel but if you'll add taxi costs etc. i don't know how cheaper it will be...
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:27 AM

I am interested in this topic as well - Frommers recommends the option of the Hotel Avra in Rafina. We arrive from the islands around 5:00 so it would be nice to have something to do! Anyone have feedback on this approach?
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Elaine, if you are arriving by ferry at Rafina, that would make a lot of sense. If returning from the islands by air to Athens Airport, there's not much difference in travel time between Rafina and Athens. Do you, like the OP, fly out early the next morning?

I couldn't think of anything special about Rafina, apart for being Athens' second ferry port, so looked in my copy of Greek Island Hopping. I quote in part: "...a pleasant, if uninspiring, leafy suburb town on the west coast of Attica, with a reputation for fish restaurants (it is the main fishing port for the capital)."

So, if you want to check into your hotel and go out for a seafood meal, Rafina might be a good choice. If you want a last look at the Parthenon before leaving Greece, then stay in Athens.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM

The Sofitel is pricey, but we enjoyed spending our last night sleeping in a nice hotel with a very comfortable bed. I think it helped us survive our flight home.