Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Chomel, or la Bourdannais, or Monge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I had it all wrapped up at Hotel-Palais-Bourbon, but I've sent them my VISA number twice and they tell me that they don't have it.

So, for a family of 4 needing air conditioning for mid-July, I'm now looking at the Residence Monge, Hotel Chomel or perhaps Hotel de la Bourdonnais.

Please help. Thanks.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 02:11 PM

I can't speak for Res. Monge or Chomel, but we've stayed at the Hotel de la Bourdonnais a few times. Location is great and some of the rooms have direct views of the Eiffel Tower. BUT...it needs a major overhaul in decoration. It seems very dated and not in the quaint, charming way, in the drab and dull way. It needs new owners or managers who would be willing to do what it takes to polish this rough stone and turn it into the gem it could be.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 03:55 PM

I agree with BTilke, but I thought they were going to re-decorate a couple of years ago. I really liked the location and the area around it.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 04:59 PM

We stayed at the Bourdonnais two years ago on our first trip to Paris, and we were happy with the choice. The 7th is a gorgeous arrondisement. While the decor may be lacking, the bathroom was great--big clean deep tub.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:01 AM
lekker

I stayed at Monge last September and would do so again - very conveniently located between two metro stops - market on a Sunday at Place Monge(Metro stop) and acroos the street is a very nice Champion. About 3 Boulangeries in a block as well. The staff at the Hotel are very friendly and helpful.

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:10 AM

It's been a couple of years since I stayed at the Bourdonnais, but I've walked by it several times since and the salon on the ground floor hasn't been redone...but maybe they have redone the guest rooms.
If you do go with the Bourdonnais, you should *definitely* ask for a street view room, preferably with a view of the Eiffel Tower (example, room 303, which had two double beds [not twins], a large bathroom, real closet and ET view) and get it confirmed in writing (fax or email). The Ave. de la Bourdonnais is usually quiet at night. The non-street view rooms can be small and stuffy and actually noisier as they pick up all the kitchen noise from the hotel's restaurant.