Reload this Page >

Hotel choices for Greece and Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 02:28 PM
Sylvia

After many months of searching this site, these are my choice for my September trip to Greece and Italy. They are based on price (under $120) and location. What do you think? <BR>Santorini - VIP Suites <BR>Athens - Plaka Hotel <BR>Rome - Welcome House <BR>Florence - Hotel Bellettini <BR>Venice - Hotel Paganelli <BR>Thank You for everyone's assistance!!!

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 05:01 PM
Aprila

My husband and I, in a money saving moment, decided to stay at the Plaka in Athens. I would not go there again. It is generally grubby with a lackluster staff (except for the night clerk). All it had going for it was location and views of the Parthenon. <BR> <BR>I believe it is the Electra Palace that has had good reviews on this forum.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 09:15 PM
Kay

Sylvia, <BR>the Plaka Hotel in Athens is in a good location but is best described as plain, basic but adequate. We would stay there again but don't expect too much. <BR>Kay

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:36 AM
travelers

I am not familiar with the Welcome House in Rome, but stay in Centro Storico to be close to most everything and cute cafes and Pantheon, Forum, Coliseum, etc. Check online for views of interiors of hotels, too.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Sylvia

April - I checked on the Electra Palace but it was around $150/night. The Plaka Hotel said they have recently remodeled, so I hope it's okay.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 05:07 PM
vickie

hi <BR>the best western phoenix is a great choice in athens <BR>clean, nice staff, continental breakfast was included in our rate and near glyfada a very nice section of greece,

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 05:55 PM
April

Sylvia, <BR>It wasn't the worst place I've ever stayed and renovating should have helped. I wonder if they renovated their staff as well? If you reserve, be sure to take the paperwork with you in case there's any dispute. Try to get a room facing the Acropolis. <BR> <BR>As I said, the location is good. From there you can walk to Syntagma Square, Omonia Sq. (if you'd want to), and right up to the Parthenon. Just up the hill are many restaurants with evening dancing. A post office is nearby, and the Neon cafe is a good place for a snack (tiramisu!) and coffee. We found Nescafe closest to what we drink at home. Also, the 'subway' train is nearby if you were planning on catching a ferry to Santorini.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Sylvia

Help - need backup hotel for Rome. It appears that Welcome House may not have two rooms available. Still searching for a safe, central area with rooms with private baths for under $120. <BR>Thank You