Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

La Locanda di San Francesco in Montepulciano?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reposting. Forget to specify Italy.

Anyone here familiar with this hotel in Montepulciano: La Locanda di San Francesco.

www.locandasanfrancesco.it

Would you recommend it?
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

bumping up. Anyone know this hotel?
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 02:06 AM

yes, I know it well and can definitely recommend it. I live in the nearby town of Pienza. They have several very nice rooms in a beautiful old palazzo with incredible views on a little piazza near the main square. They just opened last summer...I have seen the rooms and they are large, and nicely decorated. It is really a step above the other options in town. The owners are very sweet, they speak English, and run a wine bar on the ground floor. Enjoy!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Yikes. That place looks awesome. When are you going? I just sent them an inqiry about staying in early June, although it is a little more than we wanted to spend. We already have reservations elsewhere but we shall see.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 06:32 AM

I would certainly recommend this Locanda. We stayed here in February. The rooms are very big and clean and the views are very nice. Our bathroom was also big and beautiful. By the way everything is new. The locanda is on a small piaza, so you can park your car in front and walk everything in Montepulciano. The owners were very nice and helpful!
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Yay! I just booked 4 nights here in the summer.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Does it have air conditioning? I'm hoping to go in late July/early August and am concerned about the heat!
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Yes, there is air-conditioning.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Could someone tell me what you did near La Locanda di San Francesco in Montepulciano? Will stop there driving from Rome before heading to Florence area. Would like to relax and "see some sights" if possible. Thank youl
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Can anyone who has seen Locanda di San Francesco comment on their public areas?

Is breakfast taken in the wine bar or is there a breakfast room? Any access to the outside- patios w/ chairs etc? I keep hearing about the beautiful Tuscan light and sunsets.
Is there outside seating for the wine bar? Or a small interior lobby area with chairs for B and B guests? (We will be traveling with another couple).
If there aren't any outdoor spaces for guests we could head to the nearest piazza I guess if it is close by.
I wil also email the owner but was wondering if fodorites who are familiar with the property could comment.

Also, here is a question for MW2006: some people seem to prefer Pienza- think it is the more beautiful of the two towns. Why did you settle on Montepulciano as your base? We think the larger size of Montepulciano might be more desirable for a longer stay. Since you saw both towns, how would you compare their beauty?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:58 AM

topping
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:16 PM

The hotel is only a year old and only has 4 rooms/suites so I am not sure that there is anyone on this board who has stayed there. We have reservations to stay there in about 70 days (but who's counting) so I can report when we get back!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM

rbnwdln- I hope you have a wonderful trip and if you could give a comprehensive report on the San Francesco when you get back that would be terrific. Do you mind if I ask where else you are going?
I'm still trying to pick out a second location but not knowing yet if we are flying into Rome or Pisa complicates things.
Tricolori said they had stayed at the San Francesco so I hoped they would see this and comment on the public or outdoor areas.

La Saracina also sounds wonderful and might be easier getting in and out of for daytrips. Dorkforcemom seems to really like La Saracina but I noticed in an older posting that Grinisa said the guest rooms did not have views and weren't luxurious- I couldn't tell if she was enthusiastic or not.
According to trip advisor, all the rooms at San Francesco have views.

We're looking for an excellent 4 star in a quiet spot but don't need or want 5 star accommodations. There are so many great sounding places in Tuscany my head is spinning!