Hotel Beacci Tornabuoni in Florence

Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:12 AM
Anne

Hotel Beacci Tornabuoni in Florence

Has anyone stayed at the Beacci-Tornabuoni in Florence? Any info would be appreciated! Did you like the location, what size were the rooms and did they have views? We have gotten one recommendation but would like another opinion. Thanks!

Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:28 PM

to the top

Feb 24th, 2001, 02:57 PM
K Tindal

My sister and I stayed at this hotel and had a memorable experience. The breakfast room is delightful. Though our room was small it had the tiniest of balconys with a single geranium in a pot and it overlooked the rooftops of Firenze. We even heard someone singing Ol Sola Mia!! The hotel goes way back in time and there were even guest books out that had guest comments from over 50 years ago. The location is good, though the hotel from the outside is just a narrow doorway with the reception up several floors. So don't runaway when you see the front. I am sure the rooms are all different as these small centuries old hotels often are. I would stay there again, it was most atmospheric. The lift was out during our stay and they offered us a discount, but I wouldn't recommend this experience unless you are in shape to climb several floors. Of course this is what makes our travels memorable, all those imperfect experiences. Have fun in Florence. A tip on viewing the David. Go at the end of the day when it is almost closing, there will be no crowds behind you and you can linger around him in some solitude.

Feb 24th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Peggy

Anne,

My husband and I stayed there last May. The lst room that we had was very small. I was not at all pleased. When I asked if they could move us, they said no. When I inquired about other hotels in the area, lo and behold they just happen to find another room. It was large but rather dark. It looked out over a side street. The shower was extremely tiny. If you are overweight at all, you will not be able to get in it. There was no where to put your soap. The breakfast was typical - I thought the hotel was rather snobby. When we sat down one day at a table for four - the waiter asked us to move. The location is convenient. I wouldn't stay there again, although we did see some rooms that looked huge - if you could get so lucky. Have fun - Florence is a great city.

Peggy

Feb 24th, 2001, 05:48 PM
StCirq

I loved this hotel for many reasons: its proximity to the major sights, its friendly desk staff, its comfortable room - BUT! Jewelry (not worth much, but still precious for memories) was stolen from me while I was out and about in the city - it's the only place in Europe I've stayed in 25 years of trips to Europe several times a year where I had things stolen from my room - and the hotel desk dismissed my complaint as though I was a mad woman. It was a peculiar set of events - Alitalia lost my luggage, and it had to be delivered to the hotel two days later, when I wasn't there. They brought the luggage to my room, and later that evening I discovered the missing jewelry. No one at the hotel ever attempted to make any amends - they just said - oh, it must be the maids... I don't think so.. Anyway, it's the only place in Europe (in 25+ years of travel) that I lost anything valuable and the place I was staying refused to deal with the matter.

Old news, I know, but perhaps worthy of consideration...

StCirq