hotel at Gatwick

Jul 10th, 1999, 08:29 AM
Jo Ann

hotel at Gatwick

We plan a trip to UK during Sept.'99 and want to return our rental car to Hertz at Gatwick the night before we fly home.Could someone recommend one of the closest hotels for the night before our flight out? We would really love to find one close enough to return the car, check into hotel, take the train into London for a "last night's fling", then return to a "closeby hotel" at Gatwick.
Would prefer a reasonably priced room if that is possible. Our first priority is to be able to use a shuttle to quickly get us back and forth to Gatwick, Rail Sta., so the closer the better without paying an "arm and leg"......... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jo Ann
Brevard, NC

Jul 10th, 1999, 08:46 AM
wes fowler

Jo Ann,
There are three hotels at Gatwick that I know of; the Chequers Thistle (tel)293-786992; Forte Crest (tel) 293-567070 and the Hilton International (tel) 293-518080. There should be websites for the Forte and Hilton hotels where you check rates and make reservations. I'm not certain about the Thistle.

Jul 10th, 1999, 05:51 PM
Marie

Check the rates at The Ramada Gatwick. I stayed there last year and did exacting what you want to do. After returning the car, I got a transfer to the airport and then a shuttle to the hotel. Checked in and returned to the airport and purchased round trip Gatwick Express Tickets. By 12noon, I was back in London and enjoying a full day at the British Museum. The train runs all day and night so you can stay in town as long as you want. Good luck.

Jul 13th, 1999, 05:52 AM
elaine

Hi, I've copied the following from my files. NB the last entry.

Lawn Guest House, Horley, about 1.5 miles from Gatwick. Renovated Victorian house. Very clean, all private bathrooms. Completely non-smoking establishment. Complete breakfast is very good and included. In 1999 price for a room for two was 45 pounds.
www.lawnguesthouse.co.uk/
email is [email protected]

Poplars Guest House, 87 Povey Cross Rd, Hookwood
Surrey
phone 011 44 1293 772 149
fax 011 44 1293 781266
check for current rate which includes full English
breakfast. The owners can arrange for airport pick up and
delivery.

Gable End Guest House
25 Church Rd, Horley, Surrey
phone/fax 1293 783679
pick up and delivery from airport is available.

Church Farm House, Wisley, Surrey
phone 1932 351683 restored manor house.
easy drive from both Gatwick and Heathrow. Also near West Byfleet train station for transport to London.

Jul 22nd, 1999, 12:32 PM
Gayle

We just got back from London and at the last minute we decided to stay the last night at a Hotel near Gatwick since we were leaving early the next morning. I was at Victoria Station and booked the La Meridan thru the tourist burea at the Station. They got us a King size room for 85 pounds plus a 3 pound booking charge. It was truly a 5 star hotel. It was the best hotel we stayed at in Europe and the cheapest. Its located in the South terminal at Gatwick.

Jul 26th, 1999, 08:56 PM
jeff

Hi Jo Ann,
How about a great out of the way B&B that is only 5 mile from Gatwick Airport. The place is called Crutchfield Farm and I stayed there my last evening before flying home. It is hard to believe that it's so close to the airport because it's in such a rural setting. I thought the place was very nice and the owners have done extensive work on the house. They have a website so maybe you'd like to check it out. I was glad that I did. Have a wonderful trip!
P.S. If you'd like more info on the place e-mail me.

Aug 16th, 1999, 08:42 PM
Gayle Potter

Thanks to elaine ([email protected]) for her suggestion 7/13 on the Lawn Guest House which is close to Gatwick. They are very accommodating and we look forward to staying there on our trip in September.